• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,171 posts in this topic

If you have an eBay store is there a way to set up an auction from the onset?  What am I missing here?  It has been a long time.   Right now, if I want to set something up as an auction I have to list it as a BIN and then convert it to an auction.   

I know that there is a simpler way but I cannot seem to find it from the create a listing menu. 

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

If you have an eBay store is there a way to set up an auction from the onset?  What am I missing here?  It has been a long time.   Right now, if I want to set something up as an auction I have to list it as a BIN and then convert it to an auction.   

I know that there is a simpler way but I cannot seem to find it from the create a listing menu. 

The last time that I listed something, it defaulted to auction format, and I had to check the box that says "Fixed Price Listing".

That was on the website and not the app.

4 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

you just click auction for format, but as someone else said, if you start a fresh listing they put in auction and you have to change it to fixed.

On 1/6/2021 at 2:43 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Got a question for you guys....

I just sold a book on EBay, and the buyer sent me a message informing me that he can’t pay because apparently I don’t ship to his location.  We’re both in Canada, but I just realized the listing stated local pick-up only. :facepalm:

I assume there’s an easy fix?

Easy fix but trust involved...tell him you will relist at BIN and cancel the sale. Relist and tell him immediately when it goes live. He buys again and all is well. If he doesn't buy again, oh well, price of a mistake in the listing. 

This works and is easily accomplished, I do not think you can edit after sale as ebay doesn't like that.

25 minutes ago, Bird said:

Easy fix but trust involved...tell him you will relist at BIN and cancel the sale. Relist and tell him immediately when it goes live. He buys again and all is well. If he doesn't buy again, oh well, price of a mistake in the listing. 

This works and is easily accomplished, I do not think you can edit after sale as ebay doesn't like that.

I was able to send the buyer an invoice. All good (thumbsu

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2021 at 3:04 PM, NWOslave said:

i use this in mine. are you more likely to buy a used car if it is advertised as having one owner or 10? of course i also add "been bagged and boarded since purchase and stored in long box". i think it gives a seller the impression they are dealing with a real person or fellow collector not just some faceless impersonal online store front. my books dont smell dusty musty like they have been in a back room storage depot.

I'm going to buy the comic with the best pictures and description since i'm not actually looking at it in person. Don't matter to me how many owners it has had. Bottom line is what I can see. 

On 1/27/2021 at 10:10 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

I'm going to buy the comic with the best pictures and description since i'm not actually looking at it in person. Don't matter to me how many owners it has had. Bottom line is what I can see. 

good for you. it doesnt seem to have hurt my sales so ill keep doing it.

Does anyone the make an offer to watchers? I do it, will get a sale out of it now and then. I get a lot of them on books I did not think I was even watching. But if you have made an offer and never got a response, is it set so that you can never make an offer again? I have books that have been watched for years. I know people watch for lots of reasons.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Does anyone the make an offer to watchers? I do it, will get a sale out of it now and then. I get a lot of them on books I did not think I was even watching. But if you have made an offer and never got a response, is it set so that you can never make an offer again? I have books that have been watched for years. I know people watch for lots of reasons.

I’ve never sent an offer, as it seems a little pushy to me as a seller. I do enjoy getting offers on the books I’m watching though.   Unfortunately, most of the offers are around 10% off, which means nothing considering the books are already priced at about double the going rate. :insane:

3 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’ve never sent an offer, as it seems a little pushy to me as a seller. I do enjoy getting offers on the books I’m watching though.   Unfortunately, most of the offers are around 10% off, which means nothing considering the books are already priced at about double the going rate. :insane:

See, if you like getting them, why not send them? It never hurts to ask. I dunno, the book eventually sells like 25% of the time maybe.

Just now, the blob said:

See, if you like getting them, why not send them? It never hurts to ask. I dunno, the book eventually sells like 25% of the time maybe.

I don’t know.  I’m just not into it.  All my BINS always have ‘make an offer’ enabled, so I figure a potential buyer will send one if they’re actually interested. 

Maybe I’ll try it out when I get around to listing stuff again. 

8 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I don’t know.  I’m just not into it.  All my BINS always have ‘make an offer’ enabled, so I figure a potential buyer will send one if they’re actually interested. 

Maybe I’ll try it out when I get around to listing stuff again. 

I had a book sitting there a year+ with a watcher. So I knocked 20% off (yeah, i had it priced aggressively as there are very few on ebay, but it is a bit obscure) and, poof, sold. I was more wondering whether I can turn off the feature that does not let me make any new offers to watchers. Some of these I may have made an offer a year ago.

anyway, i just got a slew of them, but they were all low dollar books and the shipping would have cost more than the comics. I'd buy every one of them at the offered price if I did not have to deal with shipping and sales tax.

Edited by the blob

23 minutes ago, the blob said:

I had a book sitting there a year+ with a watcher. So I knocked 20% off (yeah, i had it priced aggressively as there are very few on ebay, but it is a bit obscure) and, poof, sold. I was more wondering whether I can turn off the feature that does not let me make any new offers to watchers. Some of these I may have made an offer a year ago.

anyway, i just got a slew of them, but they were all low dollar books and the shipping would have cost more than the comics. I'd buy every one of them at the offered price if I did not have to deal with shipping and sales tax.

I was actually thinking I’d price the books a bit more than usual, so I could send offers of 25% off (thumbsu

I wasn’t aware that you can only send a single offer to buyers 

24 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I was actually thinking I’d price the books a bit more than usual, so I could send offers of 25% off (thumbsu

I wasn’t aware that you can only send a single offer to buyers 

I was not either, but it does not give me the option to send for some I have watchers on and I think i sent them a while back

I put some decent stuff up and it has sold. dracula, werewolves, and moon knight have done well. I priced them near the top few sales, negotiated down to prices that were roughly average. i got the usual mix of solid offers and offers for 1/3 my asking price. it's fine, karma for low offers I might have made in life. it's just that i am not taking $25 for somethin that has multiple auctions already over $50 in the same or worse condition.

Edited by the blob

7 hours ago, the blob said:

6 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I thought the same thing too and I constantly monitor what is eligible for me to 'send an offer' 

One of the things I noticed is that watchers are not always paying attention when I run a sale but do seem to get a more attention grabbing alert when I send an offer.  Sometimes things go without a response and in other times they have sold within minutes of me making the offer.  I figure it doesn't hurt. 

On 2/2/2021 at 9:10 AM, evilskip said:

A lot of times I will watch a book just to see if a discount offer will come from the seller. Picked up a lot of books that way last year. This year, nada. No discount offers at all.

I have had a few books sell for full ask while I was bouncing offers and counter offers with people. Of course, the market is super hot when I don't have time for listing due to work and family issues