• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,169 posts in this topic

It stopped doing it to me, but it was frustrating and hard to explain...

6 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:
On 7/13/2018 at 9:45 AM, manetteska said:

A new issue I noticed last night, thought it was user error, but continues today on a different computer.

When providing my search results, it says "9 results" but only shows 1 result.

I haven't changed any settings; anyone else experiencing this? Is it a "new, fun" eBay function, my issue, or a bug?

example.jpg

I see that the sort is "best match" - have you tried changing that selection?

There for a while I would look up catwoman 82 Hughes, the last issue of that series followed by cgc

There were 4 results but only showed me one. If I chose lowest to highest it would show me the lowest only, and vice versa with the highest, best match showed a different one, and I never could find the 4th list in at that time.... it has since been corrected, but it would be sporadic, only happening sometimes on the APP on the phone, sometimes in web browser on the phone, but it WAS all the time on my laptop....

I bother to mention all this to say 1) @manetteska is not crazy 2) it has stopped 3) it seems to have been intentional by ebay.... :foryou:

On 7/14/2018 at 8:55 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

Search is definatly sucking right now. I did a search for CGC holder box. Got 2 results. 1st result don't even match.

cgcbox.JPG

Some might disagree that the first result doesn't match... ;) 

On 7/21/2018 at 7:19 AM, Doohickamabob said:

People withdraw bids without re-bidding sometimes. The reason they put "bid wrong amount" is sometimes because there are no other options in the list of reasons. I don't think people should withdraw bids often, and it's a means to commit shenanigans, but sometimes people do have a change of heart.

I've withdrawn bids two or three times over the years using this method, always when a major flaw (like missing pages) is buried in the description. Normally I read the whole thing carefully before pulling the trigger, but I'll admit I've done it too soon before. I'm not going to feel obligated to honor the bid if the seller doesn't make it quickly evident a book is incomplete. I shouldn't have to read through a paragraph or two of description to find that out.  

I am really upset with ebay right now. I listed a book under 5 day auction style. I started it at the lowest price I would accept and if I got more then bonus. Well somehow the OBO option got added to my auction and someone sent me a low ball offer. I also removed that stupid stock photo and it came right back. I had a book on BIN for a week or so a few months back and it automatically added the OBO option AND decided what amount it would accept on its own. If I didn't notice it and end the auction someone could have gotten the book for a steal. I think i'm done selling on ebay. Not only isn't it fun any more but its plain scary.

I bid on a nice set of 3 Tecs including a 400 last night, waited and put in my bid with maybe 7-8 seconds left, confirmed with 6 seconds left, then nothing.

My bid wasn't even shown listed in the final list of the bidders (there were only 4 total bidders shown, 2 of them snipers).

(shrug)

Here's a question for people with experience selling on eBay. If you search completed listings and see lots of copies of the comic book(s) you want to sell listed but none selling, or maybe just one sold in the past few months, what do you do? Do you go ahead and list yours just in case someone happens to be looking for it? Do you put it aside and wait a few months, then check again? Or do you assume it's not worth the time and effort and toss it in your worthless pile to be donated or otherwise disposed of?

I ask because I've got three or four big plastic tubs filled with random comics, books, DVDs, and other items I've been holding on to for years thinking they might be worth selling on eBay eventually. Now that I have some free time, I've discovered none of this stuff is selling. Or if it is selling, it's selling for a few dollars. I suppose eBay is filled with people like me hoping to make a few bucks off their unwanted junk.

3 hours ago, Mr. Spider-Woman said:

Here's a question for people with experience selling on eBay. If you search completed listings and see lots of copies of the comic book(s) you want to sell listed but none selling, or maybe just one sold in the past few months, what do you do? Do you go ahead and list yours just in case someone happens to be looking for it? Do you put it aside and wait a few months, then check again? Or do you assume it's not worth the time and effort and toss it in your worthless pile to be donated or otherwise disposed of?

I ask because I've got three or four big plastic tubs filled with random comics, books, DVDs, and other items I've been holding on to for years thinking they might be worth selling on eBay eventually. Now that I have some free time, I've discovered none of this stuff is selling. Or if it is selling, it's selling for a few dollars. I suppose eBay is filled with people like me hoping to make a few bucks off their unwanted junk.

you will never sell it if you never list it. Putting the effort in to describe a book well and providing good scans/pictures is important. So I do it right the first time and then just keep relisting the books until they sell. I make the price worth my time and effort to ship the items. Some stuff will list for years before it sells but the listings are free up to a certain point. Another option is to package together some like items or a small run of books. Some people are looking to buy in different ways than what others list your items.

Another option is to list them on Amazon though the results might not be as good (not as many buyers). The good thing about listing there is that you don't have to keep re listing the items. Just be very careful to understand how much of a cut amazon takes from the sale or you can end up losing money when you go to ship the item. I use this method mostly for old magazines. I won't sell a playboy for less than 11 dollars because between the low shipping price amazon forces (typically 3.99) and the weight of the magazine being over a pound, I end up sending these in well protected flat rate envelopes.

anyway-- as far as ebay goes-- just give it a try with a small sample to see what you think. Some books might not sell at all-- but it depends on what you are offering. Another avenue would be the sale forum here - but very careful about how you set up those sales-- lots of rules. Good luck.

I’m pretty sure eBay added free shipping to a recent listing. I will sometimes offer free shipping but wouldn’t on this item. When printing postage I noticed the invoice showed no cost for shipping. 

I made this listing from scratch, so I went back to make another one to see if they click that box automatically, and they don’t. I had filled in all the other information for normal shipping paid by the buyer, so he chances of me clicking it by accident are minimal.

Has anyone else had this happen?

5 hours ago, electricprune said:

I’m pretty sure eBay added free shipping to a recent listing. I will sometimes offer free shipping but wouldn’t on this item. When printing postage I noticed the invoice showed no cost for shipping. 

I made this listing from scratch, so I went back to make another one to see if they click that box automatically, and they don’t. I had filled in all the other information for normal shipping paid by the buyer, so he chances of me clicking it by accident are minimal.

Has anyone else had this happen?

I had some listings a few weeks ago, that when they sold and I sent an invoice, the shipping box was blank and I had to manually enter the shipping amount before I sent the invoice. If I remember correctly, it was that way on 3 of the 7 invoices I sent out for that round. All the others paid without being invoiced and the shipping was correct for all of those.

Is it possible that these issues are a result of the different ways that the main site and the phone app process listings? The app is significantly limited compared to the online listing process and the app fills in a lot of information for you. I list on two accounts so I interface with ebay on my phone both through the app and through the main site and on the app account I make sure to check them online at first opportunity to fix the errors that come with listing on the app.

2 hours ago, DeadOne said:

I had some listings a few weeks ago, that when they sold and I sent an invoice, the shipping box was blank and I had to manually enter the shipping amount before I sent the invoice. If I remember correctly, it was that way on 3 of the 7 invoices I sent out for that round. All the others paid without being invoiced and the shipping was correct for all of those.

This one sold overnight and he had paid without an invoice. Were some of your buyers outside the US maybe?

2 hours ago, Bird said:

Is it possible that these issues are a result of the different ways that the main site and the phone app process listings? The app is significantly limited compared to the online listing process and the app fills in a lot of information for you. I list on two accounts so I interface with ebay on my phone both through the app and through the main site and on the app account I make sure to check them online at first opportunity to fix the errors that come with listing on the app.

I can only speak for myself, but the only listings I do on my phone are relistings. Any new listing I do from a laptop.

Does anyone on eBay know how to ship comics? I have so many packages arrive with almost no packing material and in huge boxes. I just dont get it. If you pack something up, and you shake the box and can hear or feel movement, you did it wrong. How do people expect stuff to arrive undamaged? Am I the only one who constantly experiences this? I feel snake bitten. 

Edited by sirwesker