• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yellow backing boards

11 posts in this topic

For expensive books, I don't trust backing boards from any companies other than Gerber and Bill Cole Enterprises.

That said, I don't think the yellow ones are necessarily any better or worse than the colorless ones.

Here is a decent thread on boards:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4534727

Yes read that.

The boards are not for any high price books nothing higher that $10 just wondering if the yellow means they are really old stock but the boards themselves are white and look fine.

Just first time they have come looking yellow on the sides.

Although only lower valued comics still want them to be safe not wanting to put the boards on if they will cause damage.

Are they yellow on both sides? I could see old stock yellowing from exposure to (for instance) dust, but I wouldn't expect to see that on all four sides simply because I don't think all four sides would be exposed to dust at the same time (unless the supplier has an odd storage system). It could just be normal color variation in the cardboard. I wouldn't worry about it for $10 books.

I wouldn't use them on anything expensive or anything I sell except as a second backing board behind the one that is actually touching the comic to add extra protection.

i have no scientific basis for this, but i could see someone buying a $100 comic from you seeing a yellowing board and say "WTF?" assuming it is that way because it has been behind the comic for 25 years.

I wouldn't use them on anything expensive or anything I sell except as a second backing board behind the one that is actually touching the comic to add extra protection.

i have no scientific basis for this, but i could see someone buying a $100 comic from you seeing a yellowing board and say "WTF?" assuming it is that way because it has been behind the comic for 25 years.

Which would mean it hasn't been pressed or manipulated.

My comics that had boards yellow due to age, they didn't yellow uniformly. That centimeter worth of board that pokes out at the top would severely yellow, when you pull the board out, the part behind the comic would stay white. So I figure if a sealed bag of boards got old they'd yellow on the edges exposed to the elements first.