• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sad Affleck

218 posts in this topic

Why do comic book fans revel in bad reviews on comic book movies?

It just makes no sense. Its like people are hoping this film is a flop. We are in the greatest time every for comic book movies. Do we actually wish they weren't being made? (shrug)

Probably because we've moved past the point where we are just happy with them being made at all. Also, if the studios continue to put out bad ones then they are going to go away entirely and then we are left with nothing again.

And while the poor reviews will likely not prevent Batman v Superman from being a box office success, people are eventually going to figure out that Zach Snyder is incompetent and will stop seeing his comic book movies. That doesn't bode well for Justice League, Suicide Squad, Flash, and Wonder Woman since his fingers are in every one of those pies.

Honestly, I decide for myself if a film is good or bad. If I am entertained and enjoy it, then it's good. If I'm not entertained and didn't enjoy it, then it's bad. And then there's everything in-between. What could be simpler?

Having said that, when the reviews are overwhelmingly, bad or good, then I can't help being influenced a bit. Try as I might, I can't un-see or un-hear what I've been exposed to.

It just makes no sense. Its like people are hoping this film is a flop. We are in the greatest time every for comic book movies. Do we actually wish they weren't being made? (shrug)

I don't think they hope a film flops but were just wishing it'd be done right with the right people. I believe the casting was great. However, Zack Snyder as director only called for an average movie at best. When I heard he was named the director, I immediately thought to myself how this movie was gonna flop, and I'm not surprised at the reviews or why people see it as a bad movie. This is almost no different than with the 2nd Amazing Spider-Man movie where people were hoping it'd flop and have the rights go to Disney

Comic fans aren't hoping the film flops but were really just hoping it'd be done right

He didn't look at Henry at all...that is amazingly classic. lol

Yeah, it's a mess of a reaction. I'm a Pathers fan so I can say this..

He pulled a Cam.

He dabbed?

Oh no, now that I would have loved to see! This was a nightmare of a reaction like Cam in his interview immediately following the Super Bowl.

Is reacting to a interview the same thing as hoping the film flops? (shrug)

I wasn't talking about you in particular. Or anyone in particular that matter. I don't really know what anyone is thinking besides what they say, but this happens all the time. People can't wait to jump on.

I hope it tanks. It might cause the Studios to put out a quality well thought out movie based upon the comic book it draws from. What makes the Dark Knight Returns so wonderful is that Miller took an ORIGINAL idea and crafted a great story around it. The same can be said for the Watchmen. Everyone was surprised by the Deadpool movie. Why? Because the Studio didn't screw around with the source it came from and it had a plot, decent acting, and was funny.

If people keep flocking to mediocre comic book movies then that is what the Studios will provide. The second Iron Man movie and The Avengers Age of Ultron come to mind. They were kind of like what Metal in the early 1990's became. It got over produced and the record labels signed and pushed subpar bands. That form of music died out as it became drivel. People turned their back on it as it was no longer original nor had any quality to it.

If I'm going to spend 15 to 20 bucks to see a movie I want it to be better than an average movie.

Just my .02

Original Idea?

Miller's STYLE on DKR was original and influential, but the story is pretty much your basic Dirty Harry.

And Deadpool... How is that story original?

All of this stuff is just regurgitated stories that are hyperstylized in their presentation to give a desensitized generation of kids jacked up on Mountain Dew a sensory jolt.

None of it is Shakespeare.

Just because Batman doesn't cuss or Superman doesn't take a bullet up his bung hole is no reason for the 'Deadpool' crowd to hope it fails. I'm sure they're currently tweaking the Suicide Squad movie for that audience.

You're right, BVS is NOT Deadpool, and many of us are GLAD it's not. I enjoyed Deadpool for what it was, thought it was hilarious, but I don't want ALL of these movies to be geared toward that kind of thing. It'd get old really fast.

And to think ANY of these stories are an 'original idea' is just ludicrous.

Look at the way this guy treated his wife and put the making of this film before them and cheated on her. The minute you think you're larger than life it has a way of humbling you really quick.

:facepalm:

Chorizo!

I'm watching it Sunday. I'll be my own critic.

I don't hope the film flops at all. I just think the song coupled with the zooming in of him looking down pensively is hilarious. I just watched it again and still lol

Is reacting to a interview the same thing as hoping the film flops? (shrug)

I wasn't talking about you in particular. Or anyone in particular that matter. I don't really know what anyone is thinking besides what they say, but this happens all the time. People can't wait to jump on.

I hope it tanks. It might cause the Studios to put out a quality well thought out movie based upon the comic book it draws from. What makes the Dark Knight Returns so wonderful is that Miller took an ORIGINAL idea and crafted a great story around it. The same can be said for the Watchmen. Everyone was surprised by the Deadpool movie. Why? Because the Studio didn't screw around with the source it came from and it had a plot, decent acting, and was funny.

If people keep flocking to mediocre comic book movies then that is what the Studios will provide. The second Iron Man movie and The Avengers Age of Ultron come to mind. They were kind of like what Metal in the early 1990's became. It got over produced and the record labels signed and pushed subpar bands. That form of music died out as it became drivel. People turned their back on it as it was no longer original nor had any quality to it.

If I'm going to spend 15 to 20 bucks to see a movie I want it to be better than an average movie.

Just my .02

Original Idea?

Miller's STYLE on DKR was original and influential, but the story is pretty much your basic Dirty Harry.

And Deadpool... How is that story original?

All of this stuff is just regurgitated stories that are hyperstylized in their presentation to give a desensitized generation of kids jacked up on Mountain Dew a sensory jolt.

None of it is Shakespeare.

Just because Batman doesn't cuss or Superman doesn't take a bullet up his bung hole is no reason for the 'Deadpool' crowd to hope it fails. I'm sure they're currently tweaking the Suicide Squad movie for that audience.

You're right, BVS is NOT Deadpool, and many of us are GLAD it's not. I enjoyed Deadpool for what it was, thought it was hilarious, but I don't want ALL of these movies to be geared toward that kind of thing. It'd get old really fast.

And to think ANY of these stories are an 'original idea' is just ludicrous.

Where you alive when The Watchmen and DK Returns came out? Comics were kind of on their last legs. Those books were kind of like Punk Rock. They came along and brought forth a new idea of how to do an old thing.

BTW, I guess I missed the part of the Dirty Harry movies where he had a teenage female partner who helped him battle mutants, and after an electronic pulse goes off San Francisco became the safest city to live in because Harry's style of vigilantism made it that way. Also, I can't recall seeing that an old crime fighting partner of Harry's who happened to be an alien get sent by the US Government to remove him. I'll have to go back and watch those movies again and look for all that now that you have set the record straight and informed me that DKR is your basic Dirty Harry. Nope nothing original at all in that story.

Yes, I agree it isn't top-shelf literature. However, DKR and the Watchmen were original.

I never stated I wanted the new SM vs BM movie to be a Deadpool movie. However, I'd appreciate more original comic book movies instead of lets say the ultra safe Fantastic Four movie that the Studio tweaked, and did conditions on until it sucked, sucked a bit more, and then really really sucked. Maybe you'd like another one of those since nothing is original. Boy, have fun sitting alone in that theater when you go to see it on opening weekend.

You missed the entire point of my post. I'd like comic book movies to have a plot, be original, have quality acting, have a story that makes sense. Apparently, from your post I'm asking for just too much. Fine, keep going to SM vs. BM and they will continue to put it out until people walk away from it and they aren't made any longer just like late 90's late 80's early 90's metal music put the nail in that style of music.

WTF is the problem with late 90's metal music.

Arch Enemy and In Flames were just starting up.

Screw sausage, he reeks of bologna

Meant to type late 80's early 90's. I'll go correct it. However, since you didn't point anything else out wrong with my post it is nice to know you agree with it.

Just my .02

Anytime someone comments that, "they should stick to the source material" I am consistent with my response.

It is compostable_fertilizer to say that they should stick strictly with the source material.

What works on a written paneled page does not work well on screen.