• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sad Affleck

218 posts in this topic

Based on how badly people felt he did with Daredevil, I fully expected them to find how he played Batman terrible. When he was announced for the role, the common opinion seemed to be "this will be a disaster".

I have not seen the movie yet - I will give it a chance without reading any reviews ahead of time. It may not be well made or it might be entertaining.

WTF IS wrong with late 80's and early 90's metal? That's when Carcass invented grind gore and Sepultura gained momentum, opening the door for melodic death metal and practically cracked the scene for bands like Cannibal Corpse. Not to mention the rise of the late great Chuck Schindlinger of Death fame.

Balooney

I hope it tanks. It might cause the Studios to put out a quality well thought out movie based upon the comic book it draws from. What makes the Dark Knight Returns so wonderful is that Miller took an ORIGINAL idea and crafted a great story around it. The same can be said for the Watchmen. Everyone was surprised by the Deadpool movie. Why? Because the Studio didn't screw around with the source it came from and it had a plot, decent acting, and was funny.

If people keep flocking to mediocre comic book movies then that is what the Studios will provide. The second Iron Man movie and The Avengers Age of Ultron come to mind. They were kind of like what Metal in the early 1990's became. It got over produced and the record labels signed and pushed subpar bands. That form of music died out as it became drivel. People turned their back on it as it was no longer original nor had any quality to it.

If I'm going to spend 15 to 20 bucks to see a movie I want it to be better than an average movie.

Just my .02

Anytime someone comments that, "they should stick to the source material" I am consistent with my response.

It is compostable_fertilizer to say that they should stick strictly with the source material.

What works on a written paneled page does not work well on screen.

Really? I guess The 300 and the original Sin City movie didn't work well on screen? Seems to me they worked very well and they were about as close as you could be to the source material.

WTF IS wrong with late 80's and early 90's metal? That's when Carcass invented grind gore and Sepultura gained momentum, opening the door for melodic death metal and practically cracked the scene for bands like Cannibal Corpse. Not to mention the rise of the late great Chuck Schindlinger of Death fame.

Balooney

OK, and bands like White Lion, Firehouse, and Warrant just were so fantastic? Give me a break.

To quote you - "balooney"

Why do comic book fans revel in bad reviews on comic book movies?

It just makes no sense. Its like people are hoping this film is a flop. We are in the greatest time every for comic book movies. Do we actually wish they weren't being made? (shrug)

I revel because I am going ha ha it sucks and IT DIDN'T HAVE TO. A 13 ear old could have watched rushes of the film and pointed out the stupid parts you dolts!

That's why i do it.

I hope it tanks. It might cause the Studios to put out a quality well thought out movie based upon the comic book it draws from. What makes the Dark Knight Returns so wonderful is that Miller took an ORIGINAL idea and crafted a great story around it. The same can be said for the Watchmen. Everyone was surprised by the Deadpool movie. Why? Because the Studio didn't screw around with the source it came from and it had a plot, decent acting, and was funny.

If people keep flocking to mediocre comic book movies then that is what the Studios will provide. The second Iron Man movie and The Avengers Age of Ultron come to mind. They were kind of like what Metal in the early 1990's became. It got over produced and the record labels signed and pushed subpar bands. That form of music died out as it became drivel. People turned their back on it as it was no longer original nor had any quality to it.

If I'm going to spend 15 to 20 bucks to see a movie I want it to be better than an average movie.

Just my .02

Anytime someone comments that, "they should stick to the source material" I am consistent with my response.

It is compostable_fertilizer to say that they should stick strictly with the source material.

Really? I guess The 300 and the original Sin City movie didn't work well on screen? Seems to me they worked very well and they were about as close as you could be to the source material.

+1. Add in Iron Man, Captain America The First Avenger (at least the first half), Cap Winter Soldier, Thor 1 and 2 (at least the scenes on Asgard) -- these all tracked the source material, both in look and character development. The first Netflix episode of Daredevil was straight out of Daredevil #1.

In fact, I would say the opposite -- the more a film-maker deviates from the source material, the more likely they're going to muck it up. See, e.g., the first Green Goblin, the second Green Goblin, Fantastic Four 2005, Fantastic Four 2015.

Glam rock and metal are not close.

They are loosely associated by the term "music"

They were all Hair "Metal" bands. Want me to type Winger? The list goes on and on.

You know. I had you pegged for your ego. I've just decided to add stupefying to your FDQ resume

They were all Hair "Metal" bands. Want me to type Winger? The list goes on and on.

No, glam rock is T-Rex; David Bowie; Slade. Hair metal is Winger, Stryper, Warrant, Crue, etc.

For the record, Winger is an outstanding band, especially live.

You know. I had you pegged for your ego. I've just decided to add stupefying to your FDQ resume

Third personal attack in less than a week.

It just makes no sense. Its like people are hoping this film is a flop. We are in the greatest time every for comic book movies. Do we actually wish they weren't being made? (shrug)

Is reacting to a interview the same thing as hoping the film flops? (shrug)

I wasn't talking about you in particular. Or anyone in particular that matter. I don't really know what anyone is thinking besides what they say, but this happens all the time. People can't wait to jump on.

I hope it tanks. It might cause the Studios to put out a quality well thought out movie based upon the comic book it draws from.

Does this mean you saw it and thought it sucked? I only ask because... What If this is that film?

Is reacting to a interview the same thing as hoping the film flops? (shrug)

I wasn't talking about you in particular. Or anyone in particular that matter. I don't really know what anyone is thinking besides what they say, but this happens all the time. People can't wait to jump on.

Just my .02

Original Idea?

Miller's STYLE on DKR was original and influential, but the story is pretty much your basic Dirty Harry.

And Deadpool... How is that story original?

All of this stuff is just regurgitated stories that are hyperstylized in their presentation to give a desensitized generation of kids jacked up on Mountain Dew a sensory jolt.

None of it is Shakespeare.

Just because Batman doesn't cuss or Superman doesn't take a bullet up his bung hole is no reason for the 'Deadpool' crowd to hope it fails. I'm sure they're currently tweaking the Suicide Squad movie for that audience.

You're right, BVS is NOT Deadpool, and many of us are GLAD it's not. I enjoyed Deadpool for what it was, thought it was hilarious, but I don't want ALL of these movies to be geared toward that kind of thing. It'd get old really fast.

And to think ANY of these stories are an 'original idea' is just ludicrous.

Where you alive when The Watchmen and DK Returns came out?

Bought it off the shelf in college. Very much alive.

Comics were kind of on their last legs.
lol They were? Secret Wars and Secret Wars 2 didn't sell well in 1983 and 1984? Amazing Spider-man printed monthly almost 3X what its print run is today. Crisis on Infinite Earth's wasn't a success for DC in 1985? In 1985, Charlton Comics closed it's doors, but new publisher's entering the market included: Aircel Comics, Blackthorne Publishing, Dragon Lady Press, NOW Comics, Sirius Comics, and others. They didn't kick the Direct Market into high gear on the hope someone would print a good comic in 1986.

Comics were NOT on their last legs.

Those books were kind of like Punk Rock. They came along and brought forth a new idea of how to do an old thing.

In other words, an original presentation of the same idea. Which is what I said.

Sort of like punk. Same three chords, just louder and with more angst.

BTW, I guess I missed the part of the Dirty Harry movies where he had a teenage female partner

Been done before. Byrne thought of that part for DKR.

who helped him battle mutants,

Been done before.

and after an electronic pulse goes off San Francisco became the safest city to live in because Harry's style of vigilantism made it that way. Also, I can't recall seeing that an old crime fighting partner of Harry's who happened to be an alien get sent by the US Government to remove him. I'll have to go back and watch those movies again and look for all that now that you have set the record straight and informed me that DKR is your basic Dirty Harry. Nope nothing original at all in that story.

Done before, done before, done before. Names and cities changed to make it seem new. Yawn.

Yes, I agree it isn't top-shelf literature. However, DKR and the Watchmen were original.

In their presentation. Even Watchmen, which I consider a masterpiece isn't 100% an original idea.

I never stated I wanted the new SM vs BM movie to be a Deadpool movie. However, I'd appreciate more original comic book movies instead of lets say the ultra safe Fantastic Four movie that the Studio tweaked, and did conditions on until it sucked, sucked a bit more, and then really really sucked.

Actually, what Fox tried to do with the Fantastic Four movie was very original in it's original concept. They didn't want to tell the same old story. It just so happened it sucked.

And how is Deadpool 'more original'?

Oh yeah - in it's presentation.

Maybe you'd like another one of those since nothing is original.

Good one. You really got me there. (shrug)

Boy, have fun sitting alone in that theater when you go.

To what? BVS? It'll hardly be an empty theater.

You missed the entire point of my post. I'd like comic book movies to have a plot, be original, have quality acting, have a story that makes sense.

And... yeah. Who doesn't?

But you said you hope BVS fails, even though you haven't seen it, based upon what some dingleberries on the internet have told you about it.

It DOES have a plot, it's as original as anything else in this silly genre, everyone involved is a professional, and the story makes sense to me....

Apparently, from your post I'm asking for just too much. Fine, keep going to SM vs. BM and they will continue to put it out until people walk away from it and they aren't made any longer just like late 90's metal music put the nail in that style of music.

No, you're not asking too much. You're making assumptions based upon a movie that was put together by a successful director, with successful actors, from two different successful franchises, that you haven't even SEEN yet.

The negativity comes from random people on the internet, and you're making your assumptions based upon that faulty house of cards.

Just my .02

+1. Add in Iron Man, Captain America The First Avenger (at least the first half), Cap Winter Soldier, Thor 1 and 2 (at least the scenes on Asgard) -- these all tracked the source material, both in look and character development.

In fact, I would say the opposite -- the more a film-maker deviates from the source material, the more likely they're going to muck it up. See, e.g., the first Green Goblin, the second Green Goblin, Fantastic Four 2005, Fantastic Four 2015.

I disagree with you.

And I totally disagree when people complain...

"Hugh Jackman is too tall to play Wolverine..."

"Those are not the X-Men uniforms..."

"Superman has never killed anyone..."

"Batman has never killed anyone..." (rewatch the Burton films)

"That's not the spirit of Batman..."

"Johnny Storm cannot be black..."

The list goes on...

(I concede your point with 300 btw... I have no comment though on Sin City since I was not personally captivated by the film and even though I watched it, I shrugged it off. However, I shrugged off the comics themselves as they did not appeal to me either.)

Ben Affleck reacts to bad reviews.

That's kind a crappy question for an interviewer to ask actors. They are contractually obligated to do promotional interviews. They shouldn't be made to answer for the larger movie not holding together well, or not having a great public response. They aren't in control of the things that make the movie good or bad, such as -script, direction, editing, etc.

"Hey there mister actor, thanks for sitting down to an interview with me. I want to ask you about this review I read, where the reviewer said your new movie is pond scum. In fact, a lot of people are saying your new movie just completely blows. What do you think about that? Tell us your thoughts."