• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sad Affleck

218 posts in this topic

Comics were NOT on their last legs.

Gee, I guess the slump of the late 1970's to 1980's in comic sales never happened to DC. Take a look at the sales figures and where they were headed. They were headed downward. DC was pretty much flat-lined their sales from 1977 until 1987 at around 3 million to 3 1/2 million. Why did DC let Miller do something so outside of the norm with a major character? Why did DC publish The Watchmen? They knew if they didn't do something they wouldn't be around. The took a huge gamble. It paid off and shook up the industry.

That's not what you said.

You said 'comics' were on their last legs. Not DC Comics, but 'comics'.

Was DC Comics on their last legs? Coming off the success of Crisis on Infinite Earths, and growing success of Alan Moore on Swamp Thing, the success of Wolfman and Perez on New Teen Titans, it looked as if Jenatte Kahn was starting to get the ball rolling - so I'd say no.

Would it get better? Sure. ALOT better.

But that's not what you said. You said 'comics were on their last legs.'

And that is incorrect for comics and most likely for DC Comics as well.

BTW, I guess I missed the part of the Dirty Harry movies where he had a teenage female partner

Been done before. Byrne thought of that part for DKR.

I'm referencing your DKR is Dirty Harry and you bring up Byrne. Was he a writer on the Dirty Harry movies? Guess I missed that too.

I agree, you do miss a lot.

who helped him battle mutants,

Been done before.

Again, I'm writing in direct response to your DKR is Dirty Harry. Not chatting about comics.

I know you are. Maybe research and see that Frank says that DKR was inspired by Dirty Harry. Duh.

and after an electronic pulse goes off San Francisco became the safest city to live in because Harry's style of vigilantism made it that way. Also, I can't recall seeing that an old crime fighting partner of Harry's who happened to be an alien get sent by the US Government to remove him. I'll have to go back and watch those movies again and look for all that now that you have set the record straight and informed me that DKR is your basic Dirty Harry. Nope nothing original at all in that story.

Done before, done before, done before. Names and cities changed to make it seem new. Yawn.

OIC, another lets flip it to comics instead of Diry Harry.

Both feature regurgitated ideas.

Yes, I agree it isn't top-shelf literature. However, DKR and the Watchmen were original.

In their presentation. Even Watchmen, which I consider a masterpiece isn't 100% an original idea.

Never said it was 100% original. However, I can't come up with another comic that was published before The Watchmen looked at how messed up in the head you have to be to put on a costume

Spider-man? Batman? Golden Age Daredevil? Lady Satan?

and one of the main characters can't have sex unless he's dressed as his alter-ego.

Oh, thank god for that one!

and then there is:

Superfolks-200x300.jpg

Boy, have fun sitting alone in that theater when you go.

To what? BVS? It'll hardly be an empty theater.

Little lost.

Yes, you are.

The two sentences before that are about the FF movie which you agree sucked. How come you have a hard time following that you'd be sitting alone in another FF movie or is this another attempt at bait and switch?

I was referencing BVS. Are you lost?

You missed the entire point of my post. I'd like comic book movies to have a plot, be original, have quality acting, have a story that makes sense.

And... yeah. Who doesn't?

You

And... you are wrong yet again.

F- for this 'attempt'.

Any other movies you haven't seen that you want to tell us about how bad they are based upon internet troll reviews?

Ben Affleck reacts to bad reviews.

lol

This could end up as the most expensive bomb in the history of movie-making, even worse than the 1st Hulk movie! doh!

SoS is such a great song...experiencing a bit of a revival recently with the Disturbed remake and I've seen it recently on one of the TV talent shows.

Reviews and general reception aside, there's no way this movie doesn't make a ton of dough.

lol

This could end up as the most expensive bomb in the history of movie-making, even worse than the 1st Hulk movie! doh!

SoS is such a great song...experiencing a bit of a revival recently with the Disturbed remake and I've seen it recently on one of the TV talent shows.

Reviews and general reception aside, there's no way this movie doesn't make a ton of dough.

I believed that as well. Then it was pointed out that they spent nearly $850 to $900 million on the film in terms of production and advertising. This film needs to make $1 Billion to be successful and there is a LOT riding on it.

It boggles the mind where this money must go. As my friend pointed out last night, they could have bought every commercial for the Superbowl and not spent whatever they are claiming what they spent for advertising.

lol

BVS did 27.7 million it's first night, the 6th highest preview opening ever.

Regardless of if anyone thinks it's 'good' or 'bad', it will not be one of the most expensive bombs in the history of movie making.

lol

I believed that as well. Then it was pointed out that they spent nearly $850 to $900 million on the film in terms of production and advertising. This film needs to make $1 Billion to be successful and there is a LOT riding on it.

It boggles the mind where this money must go. As my friend pointed out last night, they could have bought every commercial for the Superbowl and not spent whatever they are claiming what they spent for advertising.

NPR said 250 million to make and 150 million to promote - either this morning or yesterday morning. Where did the 850-900 million come from?

lol

BVS did 27.7 million it's first night, the 6th highest preview opening ever.

Regardless of if anyone thinks it's 'good' or 'bad', it will not be one of the most expensive bombs in the history of movie making.

Do you believe that the reported number of spending (near?) $900 million overall on the film is accurate or is it inflated to justify losses so as not to pay out certain aspects of contracts?

If they actually spent that amount, the film is still a financial bomb (I think) if it takes in $500 million.

Why do comic book fans revel in bad reviews on comic book movies?

It just makes no sense. Its like people are hoping this film is a flop. We are in the greatest time every for comic book movies. Do we actually wish they weren't being made? (shrug)

I hope the movie succeeds. I plan to see it this weekend but that clip of Affleck is just plain funny. Thats why I laughed anyway not cause I want it to fail.

Maybe he will cheer up when the DC boys come out of the woodwork to support the film. Its got enough negative buzz to hurt its response from casual moviegoers but i have seen more than one batfan on this site say they enjoyed it. We will see. It does benefit from lack of competition.

lol

NPR said 250 million to make and 150 million to promote - either this morning or yesterday morning. Where did the 850-900 million come from?

It is the number that was being discussed over in the BvS thread over in the subforum.

lol

With both Batman and Superman in it, this movie should be a monster outside the U.S.

I think that if Batman can do $1 Billion Worldwide 4 years ago, this movie can as well.

lol

It is the number that was being discussed over in the BvS thread over in the subforum.

Oh, well chisel that into stone.

Whoa - I want to apologize instead of edit or try to explain...

I was not remembering what was said correctly. I just went back to look.

What was mentioned was that the movie needs to make $900 million in order to be considered successful against the budget that it was given and not simply clear $900 million.

That is on me and my fault.

Wow, you can clearly see how effected Ben was by the reviews. I'm personally a Marvel guy myself, but I like to watch the DC movies also.

I certainly don't want the movie to be a flop & I'm hoping the audience will feel differently. Either way, I'm seeing it & will enjoy the film regardless.

There were parts I didn't really like in Age of Ultron, but I still enjoyed the movie as a whole.

That Sad Affleck video is hilarious. Can't deny that. It's also kind of sad though.

Watchmen was taken from 30 year old material that was practically worshipped by fans and it's movie opinion is split straight down the middle. (I think it's a masterpiece, and one of the best superhero movies ever made).

I read "Watchmen" for the first time just a few months before the movie was released.

I had mixed feelings about the graphic novel, partly because I went into it with the idea that it was this groundbreaking, genius-level thing, and had very high expectations. Unfortunately, as with many innovative works of art, it's hard to see how innovative they are when you're already exposed to many of the other works that have followed in its wake. I still thought "Watchmen" was a pretty cool read, and the characters and approaches were surprising and different. Aging, cynical superheroes, some of them actually really bad people, some of them scarred and haunted and unsure of their place in the world, etc. -- interesting stuff.

Anyway, I went to see the movie and I was impressed at how it managed to be almost an exact cinematic representation of the comic series. I mean, if you sat there and read the trade paperback, and imagined every page being a movie -- that's the movie!

I think the people who didn't like "Watchmen" are really just saying they don't like the story itself, rather than the movie.

Whatever else you think of Zack Snyder's other movies, that is one skillful piece of moviemaking craft.

Well, maybe the major parts of the story that were changed. Especially the things that tear the supposed plot to shreds. There's no filler in the comics. Everything is important and connected.

Most scenes were well done and basically as close as possible to the comic coming to life. But a couple of scenes are beyond painful to watch. They're just embarrassing.

So where does this film rank?

My own list:

Dark Knight Returns

Batman Begins

Batman 1989

Batman Returns

Dark Knight Rises

Batman V Superman

Batman Forever

Batman & Robin

Yep, that seems reasonable.

So where does this film rank?

My own list:

Dark Knight Returns

Batman Begins

Batman 1989

Batman Returns

Dark Knight Rises

Batman V Superman

Batman Forever

Batman & Robin

I hope its better than dark knight rises. Outside of bane i thought that movie was a stinker. I loved batman begins and the first dark knight and have watched them many times.

WTF IS wrong with late 80's and early 90's metal? That's when Carcass invented grind gore and Sepultura gained momentum, opening the door for melodic death metal and practically cracked the scene for bands like Cannibal Corpse. Not to mention the rise of the late great Chuck Schindlinger of Death fame.

Balooney

OK, and bands like White Lion, Firehouse, and Warrant just were so fantastic? Give me a break.

To quote you - "balooney"

The three bands you mention condemn them all? That's like saying comic books suck because a few do.