• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recreation Covers?

42 posts in this topic

Do you have OA that is an homage or recreation of an original? I see these go up for auction on Heritage a lot but I'm always outbid - so I know a boardie or two has some hm If you do, post it here thanks in advance!!

Here's an example of one of my favorites - John Buscema paying homage to his brother Sal:

lf_zps0u1hsria.jpg

I have three recreations by John Buscema, One I commissions in 2000 featuring the transformation of Norrin Radd into the Silver Surfer,

ssurfer1_splash.jpg

the other two are commissions he did for others I acquired later, Sub-Mariner #1 and Silver Surfer #1 covers (one pencils and the other inks).

6BzHSvcO_1101141840391.jpg

qyLNplhM_0602162322131.jpg

Last is a recreation by the inker Joe Rubinstein of the X-Men #153 cover he did with Dave Cockrum

uncanny_xmen153cvrrec.jpg

For a long, long time I was always dismissive of cover re-creations. Most examples I looked at just didn't look right to me. Amateur work looked very amateurish . . . even many of the re-creations by the original artists looked shaky (especially when trying to re-do the logo and lettering - itself a real skill that most artists don't possess). John Buscema is amongst a handful a notable exceptions, here (the images Brian posted display the work of an artist whose skills never diminished with old age).

Then, a few years ago, I came upon the work of Bruce McKorkindale - who clearly knew how to do re-creations just right. Bruce is aware that printed covers of the original comics (used as a guide) thickened the line work of the original art as a result of the printing processes (losing a lot of the fine detail in the transition) and he attempts to sharpen the images to how they likely would have looked when they left the drawing board.

Currently, I possess 10 re-creations by Bruce (on 13" x 20" artboards) with more on the way (he has a waiting list of clients).

No real substitute for the original originals, of course. However, pre-1965 Marvel cover art has, for the most part, never surfaced - and if they ever did, would fetch mega-bucks if offered for sale (way beyond the reach of most of us, here).

Here are some examples of the re-creations I now possess (others can be viewed in my CAF Covers Gallery # 4):

brucea.jpg

I have three recreations by John Buscema, One I commissions in 2000 featuring the transformation of Norrin Radd into the Silver Surfer,

the other two are commissions he did for others I acquired later, Sub-Mariner #1 and Silver Surfer #1 covers (one pencils and the other inks).

Amazing art - congrats!! :cloud9:

I've got quite a few cover recreations in MY CAF. My are centered around my love of the PREACHER series.

From a Fellow board member who can take credit (if that's the correct term) for this if he so chooses or remain anonymous.

cuh.jpg[/img]

Awesome !! :headbang:

I have two.

Chris Ivy's modern update of Paul Smith's classic Uncanny X-Men #167 cover

IvyafterSmith.JPG

Amazing Adventures #12 by our own Artboy99, Karl Janot

e4sZZmd2_0711131322111.jpg

So cool. If you didn't mention it, I would have thought these look like originals! (thumbs u

I've got quite a few cover recreations in MY CAF. My are centered around my love of the PREACHER series.

From a Fellow board member who can take credit (if that's the correct term) for this if he so chooses or remain anonymous.

arseface-duh_knuh-cuh.jpg

:roflmao:

Yeah, this one is great! :applause:

Bruce does great work. His "Swan/Klein" is excellent.

I have two pieces that honor the first comic that I ever bought - JLA 29 (1st series).

Here's that cover:

JLA_v.1_29.jpg

My wife hired Todd Reis to make a 3D of it for me. This is very cool and you should click the image and watch the video.

VSjCCRuQ_1606140005301.jpg

More recently, she commissioned Scott Shaw! to do a version featuring his characters from Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew and the Justa Lotta Animals.

EMqPf2Os_2702161035001.jpg.

The only other item in this theme is a "one minute later" kind of take by Herb Trimpe based on my favorite Incredible Hulk Story - The Incredible Hulk #140.

TheIncredibleHulkByHerbTri...jpg

3398604-untitled.jpg

P.S. I tried to make image scaling work, but it won't cooperate. :(

I picked this one up in 2003: Enric re-did his Vampirella #28 cover sometime in the 1990s and put Vampi in her red Baywatch costume as opposed to her, um, European beach look shown on the published cover. :blush:

161529.jpg.53345109d00be40077a8902bb5771a22.jpg

161530.jpg.a9060869620b233a08a1f7e23ced9506.jpg