• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever Passed On A Slabbed Book...Didn't Agree With The Grade?

37 posts in this topic

Definitely. It usually happens with books graded in the 2011/2102 period. Very soft CGC grading.

Wow, 91 years is a long time to be so bad.

:kidaround:

Seriously though, yeah I have passed on books because I don't think the grade is good just like I have bought books that appear to be under-graded as well.

Not for resubmission reasons, more that you don't want a book in your collection which. e.g., is a graded 9.6 but you feel it's a 9.4.

I pass on about 90%+ of all graded copies because I don't agree with the grade. Discrepancy on grade, restoration, etc.

Often. Many debatable, fugly slabs, just as you can find nicely-presenting books which have been assigned a lower grade. It can work both ways.

I often pass on slabs that you can see are overgraded. I need good scans to make a decision.

I still get screwed frequently, as the outer well was designed to hide defects.

While I do sympathize that all graded books are not indicitive of the "true" grade, as a collector that sells sometimes it's very annoying when a buyer asks, is it a real 9.8 etc.. I usually attempt to point out the defect I see but always say that's what the label says. What I have been seeing is that people think a 9.8 should be perfect in every way and that is simply not the case.

I have several 9.9 and 10.0 books that I could easily see in a 9.8 slab and vice versa.

To me a grading company is there is filter out what you can't see...

Page count, cut outs, resto... etc.

Unfortunately IMHO they get it wrong often.

Grading is paramount to collecting and dealing.

Whenever I get a book in hand I don't even look at the label first.

I get a census first on what grade I believe it to be. I check the label

If I am not with in 0.5 of the grade I do a recheck to see what I might have missed

(spine splits can hide very well on some books)... If it doesn't match and appear over graded it drops off my radar.

Learned this the hard way when I bought an Indie off of Heritage that was slabbed with a 9.4 grade. When I got the book, it had several 1/4 inch tick marks down the spine and a very minor corner bend. If I submitted it again, I wouldn't expect more than an 8.5, if that. Everyone makes a mistake here and there which includes graders but this book should've been obvious.