• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever Passed On A Slabbed Book...Didn't Agree With The Grade?

37 posts in this topic

Learned this the hard way when I bought an Indie off of Heritage that was slabbed with a 9.4 grade. When I got the book, it had several 1/4 inch tick marks down the spine and a very minor corner bend. If I submitted it again, I wouldn't expect more than an 8.5, if that. Everyone makes a mistake here and there which includes graders but this book should've been obvious.

Yeah you wonder how it happens with 3 graders looking at the book but when you are grading books all day long day after day it's inevitable

Learned this the hard way when I bought an Indie off of Heritage that was slabbed with a 9.4 grade. When I got the book, it had several 1/4 inch tick marks down the spine and a very minor corner bend. If I submitted it again, I wouldn't expect more than an 8.5, if that. Everyone makes a mistake here and there which includes graders but this book should've been obvious.

Yeah you wonder how it happens with 3 graders looking at the book but when you are grading books all day long day after day it's inevitable

That particular book was a part of Howard Greber's personal collection that was all sent to be slabbed after he passed with most coming back in 9.6/9.8. My only guess is that with all of those books coming from the same source, the graders might have partly pre-conceived the grade.

banana082.gif

I've passed on numerous books because I didn't agree with the grade.

In every case, I thought the book was overgraded.

I've probably seen just as many books that were undergraded.

I've never passed on an undergraded book because I disagreed with the grade.

That particular book was a part of Howard Greber's personal collection that was all sent to be slabbed after he passed with most coming back in 9.6/9.8. My only guess is that with all of those books coming from the same source, the graders might have partly pre-conceived the grade.

He was a good guy, so I hope his family at least benefited from the overgrade.

He was a good guy, so I hope his family at least benefited from the overgrade.

I didn't know him but I've only heard nice things about him from other people.

I passed on several CGC books that I felt were overgraded

The key is always to buy the book, not the label..

I try to stick to the buy the book not the label 2c

Not for resubmission reasons, more that you don't want a book in your collection which. e.g., is a graded 9.6 but you feel it's a 9.4.

All the time. And not just because of the grade, but because of the QP of the book.

Here's an example to make you laugh. A 9.9, where the binding isn't even centered properly. CGC tends to ignore so many different kinds of manufacturing flaws with their grades. It is subjective how much you should devalue a book for those kinds of flaws so I can see why they ignore them like it isn't a real problem. Personally I would not buy a graded book that ignores obvious flaws like that because they do matter. Off centered bindings seems to be the worst offender for me.

Now when you consider how much of a massive $ premium there is for a 9.9 over a 9.8, that is the funny part. There are literally hundreds more 9.8 books that I would find more appealing for a fraction of the price.

nm9899ga6.jpg

Here's an example to make you laugh. A 9.9, where the binding isn't even centered properly. CGC tends to ignore so many different kinds of manufacturing flaws with their grades. It is subjective how much you should devalue a book for those kinds of flaws so I can see why they ignore them like it isn't a real problem. Personally I would not buy a graded book that ignores obvious flaws like that because they do matter. Off centered bindings seems to be the worst offender for me.

Now when you consider how much of a massive $ premium there is for a 9.9 over a 9.8, that is the funny part. There are literally hundreds more 9.8 books that I would find more appealing for a fraction of the price.

nm9899ga6.jpg

Doesn't 9.9 mean perfect except for 1 flaw - could the binding not being perfect be the only flaw? I don't see anything else wrong with it...

Your last comment there is undebatable, I'd even say the same for 9.6s

]nm9899ga6.jpg

Doesn't 9.9 mean perfect except for 1 flaw - could the binding not being perfect be the only flaw? I don't see anything else wrong with it...

Your last comment there is undebatable, I'd even say the same for 9.6s

Old inner well? :eek:

Talk about a fragile investment

Yep. One of my biggest comic mistakes ever. Back in 05 or 06 I had the opportunity to buy a CGC 2.5 Action 1. It was one of the first books CGC graded. A friend owned it and he was super easy to work with...would have given me time payments, etc. I just couldn't get over the large chunk out of the cover and the spine splits top and bottom. I thought it was a Fr/Gd at best. As ugly as it was I sure wish now I had bought it. Oh well, live and learn.