• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics for college!

64 posts in this topic

He may have a lot less comics than he thinks if he's calculating 500 comics per box.

I cringed when he held up the GSX #1 and saw how bent up it was. It definitely needs a good pressing. Not nearly as "mint" as he thought.

BlowUpTheMoon just blew up this thread! :grin:

Hey, can you delete that post, it's really farfugnuggling the entire thread! I can't scroll past it!

I tried to delete that post but I can't get to the bottom of the post to delete it.

Couldn't get to Notify either, so I am going to hit Notify on this post and maybe a Mod can remove the other post.

Go through your history and bring up the pre-post page.

You can edit/delete it there...

I've found that if you re-post the same post it auto corrects it.

Whew! Now we can get back to tearing this poor shmoe a new one.

I admire and applaud the dad and his sweet gesture! The "journalist" who wrote this "news" story without doing any research whatsoever and the organization who put it out to a world-wide audience? Not so much.

I frankly hope that some dealer out there takes pity on the guy, and makes him a stellar offer as a "pay-it-forward" goodwill gesture. Good publicity, and everybody wins.

But if not, in the end, it's ABC news who is going to make this guy look like a shmoe...

I hope the girl is going to a VERY cheap school, or the dad has MUCH better books than the ones in the picture...

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/superhero-dad-selling-5000-classic-comic-books-daughters/story?id=38232288

And not a single backing board in sight. :eek:

Best line: “I’ve got them all in 10 boxes, and the boxes in theory hold 500 each,”

Two things on that:

1)"In Theory?" lol They're your books dude, have some idea of how many you have.

&

2) 500 in a box? Eeeeek! That must be that "natural pressing" I've heard so much about.

I hope the girl is going to a VERY cheap school, or the dad has MUCH better books than the ones in the picture...

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/superhero-dad-selling-5000-classic-comic-books-daughters/story?id=38232288

And not a single backing board in sight. :eek:

Best line: “I’ve got them all in 10 boxes, and the boxes in theory hold 500 each,”

Two things on that:

1)"In Theory?" lol They're your books dude, have some idea of how many you have.

&

2) 500 in a box? Eeeeek! That must be that "natural pressing" I've heard so much about.

He did say it was a theory and not fact that 500 books fit into a long box. I don't think that theory will be proven correct unless he buzz cuts the books into confetti but its a theory.

[redux of my earlier post which was lost when page 1 was restructured...]

MAKING BIG MONEY IN COMICS is easy, isn't it? That's what this ridiculous story implies.

Unfortunately, we all know it's not.

I paid for my daughter's private elementary and middle school tuition (nearly $60k total) for 11 years by selling my personal collection of thousands of books (accumulated over the course of 25 years) on eBay, to local dealers, and eventually here on the boards.

This included ALL of the SA Marvel keys; at least four full magazine boxes of prime Golden Age DC, Timely, Fawcett, and Quality titles (including several keys); EC horror and SF books; '50s Atlas PCH; pre-hero Marvels; early SA Marvels; a complete run of ASM through #74 or so..and that was just the bigger stuff.

I also bulked out countless boxes of moderns and random SA/BA/CA books & complete runs, and turned over several collections which I found in the wild.

I'm not patting myself on the back: I did what I needed and wanted to do, and have no regrets.

What bugs me about this silly and poorly researched story is that (as we all know), making money by selling comics--by which I mean fairly common books from all eras; NOT a stash of GA keys--is not even remotely as easy as walking into a convention, collecting business cards, closing a deal with the highest bidder, and then walking out with several hundred thousand dollars in cold, hard cash. And it most certainly doesn't work that way for 10 boxes of dirt-common '70s and '80s books!

The real sacrifice in my case wasn't the books -- it was the time involved in selling them.

Scanning, photographing, describing, pricing, listing, negotiating, invoicing, packaging (oh, the packaging!), shipping...trips back and forth to the Post Office on a daily basis...money out for packing supplies...dealing with returns/damages/lost packages...and all the other headaches and hassles that go along with running what amounts to a small business -- it was all another full-time job on top of the one I already had, and I don't miss it a bit!

Of course, we all know this (especially dealers!). But most of the people who read these vapid, irresponsible, feel-good "news" stories don't. And thus the same old, tired get-rich-quick folktales (invest! speculate! make big money in collectibles in your spare time!) gain new currency.

It's ignorant and irritating.

END of… rantrant

Hope he claims his big windfall to the IRS since they now have him on the watch list. Oh never mind - he doesn't pay taxes because he is . . .you know.

I admire and applaud the dad and his sweet gesture! The "journalist" who wrote this "news" story without doing any research whatsoever and the organization who put it out to a world-wide audience? Not so much.

I frankly hope that some dealer out there takes pity on the guy, and makes him a stellar offer as a "pay-it-forward" goodwill gesture. Good publicity, and everybody wins.

But if not, in the end, it's ABC news who is going to make this guy look like a shmoe...

Yup. That aspect is bizarre. I could see this running as a human interest story in a local paper, but not on ABC News.

And I didn’t mean to sound like you were trying to blast this guy, just making a funny.

Yup. That aspect is bizarre. I could see this running as a human interest story in a local paper, but not on ABC News.

And I didn’t mean to sound like you were trying to blast this guy, just making a funny.

(thumbs u

Poor guy's going to be in for a big surprise.

Does he say how much he's expecting to get out of these?

He said 5k...

Unfortunately these all might retail for 1k and the most any dealer would give would be a small fraction of that.

Poor guy's going to be in for a big surprise. Does he say how much he's expecting to get out of these?

Not really. All it says in the text of the ABC story is that he's hoping to defray some of the costs of a four-year education...which is an entirely reasonable and achievable goal, and does not sound like he's hoping to fund the whole thing with his collection.

This information, of course, is near the very bottom of the ABC story.

The headline, on the other hand, which is all that most people will read, suggests a bit more than that:

Superhero Dad Selling 5,000 Classic Comic Books for Daughter's College Tuition

Bad writing, a superficial (at best) grasp of the subject matter, and a 24/7 internet "news" cycle requiring more and more bogus content are to blame...NOT this great dad!

He does flash a Giant Sized X-men #1 (Also in an old crumpled over-sized bag without a board). He should be able to get more than a $1 for that one.

It says he has a bunch of batmans. If he has a few keys, the rest won't matter.

-Terry

Poor guy's going to be in for a big surprise. Does he say how much he's expecting to get out of these?

Not really. All it says in the text of the ABC story is that he's hoping to defray some of the costs of a four-year education...which is an entirely reasonable and achievable goal, and does not sound like he's hoping to fund the whole thing with his collection.

This information, of course, is near the very bottom of the ABC story.

The headline, on the other hand, which is all that most people will read, suggests a bit more than that:

Superhero Dad Selling 5,000 Classic Comic Books for Daughter's College Tuition

Bad writing, a superficial (at best) grasp of the subject matter, and a 24/7 internet "news" cycle requiring more and more bogus content are to blame...NOT this great dad!

seriously, some very low standards for ABC here. To even get this in print...without the barest modicum of research or even listing some of the better comics, pure fluff, and poorly written and researched fluff at that.