• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob Liefeld's Kickstarter for a new Brigade comic ended almost 3 years ago....

40 posts in this topic

Poor old Rob, he sure gets chewed up one side and down the other.

The Kickstarter was a little ridiculous though. I assume he can afford to bankroll his own book.

Sometimes, when people get "chewed up" they are the ones dousing themselves in 12 herbs and spices and jumping in head first. This one is all on him.

Rob has mastered the art of success, to never do anything with your own money if you can avoid it.

This is why I don't give to any of these Kickstarter fund things. No thanks.

The ones that I have supported have been phenomenal. I'm not letting Liefeld's ineptitude dissuade me from supporting other projects.

Here's two that I backed in the time since Liefeld's Kickstarter ended. Both items are in my possession.

Wyrmwood Hero Vault

The Gamers:Dorkness Rising Blu Ray

My interpretation of the early kickstarter projects was that they were looking for seed money to get an idea off the ground. The way I see it today is vastly different. Most projects can be completed with or without crowdfunding. The money from the Kickstarter is usually used more as an 'injection' of money into an already completed project, or a project that could have been completed without the additional funds.

Poor old Rob, he sure gets chewed up one side and down the other.

The Kickstarter was a little ridiculous though. I assume he can afford to bankroll his own book.

Sometimes, when people get "chewed up" they are the ones dousing themselves in 12 herbs and spices and jumping in head first. This one is all on him.

Rob has mastered the art of success, to never do anything with your own money if you can avoid it.

I agree, but he got into the limelight so young, blew up so big, and then had such a spectacular fall from grace. I guess I feel a little sorry for the guy.

Up until this past year I thought he was a stand up guy.

Given his history (not talking about his "artwork"), how could you have thought this?

I had met him while some made it their personal hobby to go out of their way and be rude to him. At cons I had seen people were brutal. Still, he held his head high and he took the time to talk to fans that wanted to meet him. He never came across as a holier than though type. I never waited on line but I saw while waiting for others how he acted and conducted himself and I was impressed.

Then... Deadpool hit and he turned into the exact opposite of what I described above.

Given his history (not talking about his "artwork"), how could you have thought this?

I had met him while some made it their personal hobby to go out of their way and be rude to him. At cons I had seen people were brutal. Still, he held his head high and he took the time to talk to fans that wanted to meet him. He never came across as a holier than though type. I never waited on line but I saw while waiting for others how he acted and conducted himself and I was impressed.

Then... Deadpool hit and he turned into the exact opposite of what I described above.

I have also watched him sit there and sketch for free while taking backhanded compliments and straight-forward insults. But he never got loud or upset and consistent smiled and thanked the fans for making him successful and buying his comics. He was very humble then, but it was a few years ago.

From the outside looking in he seems to have very strong shifts in his confidence/arrogance.

I actually took the time to go back and read through his updates on Kickstarter just to see what sorts of excuses he was using for why it was taking so long. He mentions at one point new issues of Bloodstrike (34 and 35 of a comic that began in 1993). I read online that they were solicited but never published. Then, he planned on rebooting it. Did it ever get rebooted?

I'm thinking Deadpool has gotten in the way of everything.

Steranko catches a lot of flack for having a limited body of comic book work but remaining popular amongst fans. I think he's actually a likeable guy from what I've read of him on Twitter. Liefeld takes the cake though. He has to be considered the Jamarcus Russell of the comic book world. Given a fat check while he was young with no true body of work to show for it over 20 years later.

He has to be considered the Jamarcus Russell of the comic book world. Given a fat check while he was young with no true body of work to show for it over 20 years later.

Excellent comparison!!

Brigade - Maybe Liefield is late because he too fell victim to the Purple Drank :insane:

He made a lot of us wait in line for a LCS signing back in '94 because he showed up over an hour late and then left on time. I was also getting stuff signed for a friend so I had to go through line twice to get all of the signatures I wanted and just barely made it.

I am pretty sure that there is a reasonable amount of time to complete kickstarter stuff and you can contact them if you decided to kickstart it. I have even heard of people getting taken to court for not upholding their agreement for kickstarter, and the kickers got their money back.

I am pretty sure that there is a reasonable amount of time to complete kickstarter stuff and you can contact them if you decided to kickstart it. I have even heard of people getting taken to court for not upholding their agreement for kickstarter, and the kickers got their money back.

He's already started giving refunds. It feels sort of half hearted when he does it though.

He's had this project on his table for almost 3 years, yet today he posts to instagram doodles he's working on of Deadpool today.

I just can't imagine how he sleeps at night. He's got money in his account for a product he has yet to deliver. And he's just doodling away at Deadpool.

I always wondered about this, but why does he always get the most credit for that character? He's technically the CO-creator of him , along with Fabian Nicieza, and even then its not as if much imagination had to be made in his creation since they admitted they came up with him as a parody of Deathstroke. After NM 98 and a few appearances in the X-books they didn't even do anything with him, and would of been remembered as just another 90's gimmick destined for the 50 cents bins if not for Joe Kelly's writing who really made him the character we know of today.

When you think of it that way the character everyone likes that we think of today was really Kelly's creation, and not even Liefield's.

I always wondered about this, but why does he always get the most credit for that character? He's technically the CO-creator of him , along with Fabian Nicieza, and even then its not as if much imagination had to be made in his creation since they admitted they came up with him as a parody of Deathstroke. After NM 98 and a few appearances in the X-books they didn't even do anything with him, and would of been remembered as just another 90's gimmick destined for the 50 cents bins if not for Joe Kelly's writing who really made him the character we know of today.

When you think of it that way the character everyone likes that we think of today was really Kelly's creation, and not even Liefield's.

I have had professional dealings with both Rob and Fabian. Fabian in my opinion is a stand up guy. My experience with Rob was less agreeable but he did some good things.

If you open up this can of worms though....

This thread seems to have digressed some. So, broad strokes:

1. I don't begrudge anyone's success. All the power to Liefeld for his work in the 90s, though even as a teenager in the 90's I never once read him, even as I waded my way through Jim Lee's rather cold pudding.

Point there is that he gets a lot of hate for appealing to the lowest common denominator, but you don't hate the Kardashians, you hate the culture that supports the Kardashians.

2. An exception to the above rule, it does annoy me deeply when anyone of financial means, be it Liefeld or Moore, appeals to our pocketbooks to start their pet projects (whether they actually complete them or not), as it undermines the spirit of kickstarter, to bring to life projects that could not have otherwise come to be. Here Liefeld is not just profiting from the questionable discernment of his fans, he's taking money from other projects as kickstarting is a zero sum game, and fans have to choose which project to support from their own limited resources.

I don't have a problem with the big guys. It's when they start squeezing out the little guys that I don my mask and wear my underwear on the outside.

Yeah think of all the artists who can actually draw feet and teeth that never even got a shot.

If you open up this can of worms though....

This is true. Other characters have been created by certain people but then other creators come along later and take the character to another level. Wolverine and Lobo come to mind. There are other examples. Doesn't invalidate the person or people who created the character