• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

On 4/17/2022 at 12:44 PM, ▫️ said:

I couldn’t wait for the HBO premiere. I just saw it, loved it and preordered it on iTunes. I didn’t mind the slow pacing at all as it felt more like a Neo-noir flick. Maybe a cross between Chinatown and Dark City. As much as I loved ZSJL, I didn’t want the same thing. This was a reinvention of sorts and while I didn’t love Bruce Wayne as he seemed underdeveloped as a character, I did love Batman. And Bruce may have been underdeveloped on purpose. Hands down, best Batmobile ever to hit the screen and I loved Gotham City as it felt new and yet familiar. There were shades of both Nolan and Burtons films in this one. Catwoman was well done and I enjoyed her role in it. I think we’re off to a great start. 

I forgot to add my gripes. First, Ave Maria got played to death. Great for the opening and maybe one more time near the end would have sufficed but damn they played it out. I would have liked more original music used. Next, get a haircut you hippie! Yeah, you know. And now I must end the negative on a positive. The Batmobile scene is the best ever filmed even before the car moves. As long as you have good speakers.

Just watched this wife my wife. 

Geez, why didn't anyone warn me the movie is 7 hours long?!

Much better than Zack Snyder's version, anyway. Robert Pattinson was very good. I liked this version of Catwoman and Gordon.

Did not enjoy the movie as a whole, though. Batman essentially failed horribly as both Bruce and Batman - Riddler's plan works in part because Bruce is so self-obsessed he doesn't pay any attention to overseeing his charity, the city is completely ruined, untold numbers of people die, and Batman is a day late and a dollar short throughout. All so... he can learn a lesson about needing to provide hope? But we don't even get to see that - a scene with him as Bruce at the end deciding to engage with the community would have made a world of difference, but instead we just get another Rorshach wannabe voice over about it instead. Honestly, with all the bad guys being inspired by Batman and his obsession with vengeance, the movie seemed to be saying "we don't need Batman right now, we need a hopeful hero. Like... Superman?"

Also hated this version of Riddler, and all the Jan. 6 / Hurricane Katrina stuff mashed up at the end was too much for me personally. 

Still much better than Batman v Superman. But please spare us all from yet another Joker in the sequel. Holy smokes, enough is enough already. Give us literally anyone else. Calendar Man, I don't care. 

On 4/19/2022 at 6:40 AM, Bosco685 said:

Everyone is entitled to like or dislike what they want. That's a given.

But I don't even know how you could compare BVS to The Batman when the former is Bruce Wayne at a much later stage in his life and the latter the earliest stage of his life learning about himself and balancing out his civilian versus hero personas. And that is the intent of the story in The Batman, where in Year Two he has lost himself in the Batman persona to the point Bruce Wayne is the costume.

And you hit right on the additional challenge this young hero has made for himself, in that he is so focused on taking on crime head-on he breezes past clues that should be obvious. But over time they come to reveal themselves through deeper detective work.

Again, dislike what you want. But I think some of these points may help in later reflection about the story. Or not.

Nah, bro. ZaCk SnYdEr BaD, even though he had quite literally nothing to do with The Batman or anything it's competing with.

Are we supposed to pretend Zack Snyder didn't make a Batman movie now? It was literally the last film version of Batman, so I think comparisons are more than fair. The Batman doesn't exist in a vacuum. It exists within the context of all the previous Batman movies. 

I swear, every thread in this whole movie section is you guys just arguing your goofy Marvel vs. DC and Release the Snyder Cut agendas like 8 year olds on a playground. 

On 4/19/2022 at 10:30 AM, Crimebuster said:

Are we supposed to pretend Zack Snyder didn't make a Batman movie now? It was literally the last film version of Batman, so I think comparisons are more than fair. The Batman doesn't exist in a vacuum. It exists within the context of all the previous Batman movies. 

I swear, every thread in this whole movie section is you guys just arguing your goofy Marvel vs. DC and Release the Snyder Cut agendas like 8 year olds on a playground. 

I think you are getting overly excited over nothing.

You were comparing two movies that logically don't line up with the character's maturity lifecycle. Again, one is early career and the other much later in his hero life.

But how about the years of people sport f@$&ing Zack Snyder films on here. I guess that is more fitting because it lines up with your opinion?

you know, you guys would be proud of me. I actually watched part of the movie (I'll finish it soon)

It was well done and photographed (not lighting, just character/camera placement) ,  well, different- thinking of the scene where we meed the Riddler and he kills the mayor. 

I say it was good so far.

I liked the moody mysterious feel, and that the plot involved actual gangsters and not just costumed foils, but ultimately the plot wasn't involved enough to justify the running time, and the end just felt like another muddled over the top action movie climax. I can enjoy long slow burn movies, but the pace didn't work here, it felt flabby and uneven. Pattison was respectable as both Batman and Wayne, and I liked the supporting cast, and also appreciated that the Batcave looked more like a realistic workshop and not some high tech laboratory that Wayne couldn't possibly have built without the help of a dozen other people. But what is up with the Penguin walking away from the chaos he commits? He causes a massive traffic accident that had to have killed several people, all just to find out he knows Spanish better than Batman, and it's adios, catch you later, not to mention the dead body in his SUV that he claims to know nothing about. I could also have done without three endings, that was like a Speilberg film, and not in a good way. 

I'd give it a 6 out of 10, compelling enough if you like the genre, but not particularly outstanding. 

On 4/19/2022 at 1:19 PM, rjpb said:

I liked the moody mysterious feel, and that the plot involved actual gangsters and not just costumed foils, but ultimately the plot wasn't involved enough to justify the running time, and the end just felt like another muddled over the top action movie climax. I can enjoy long slow burn movies, but the pace didn't work here, it felt flabby and uneven. Pattison was respectable as both Batman and Wayne, and I liked the supporting cast, and also appreciated that the Batcave looked more like a realistic workshop and not some high tech laboratory that Wayne couldn't possibly have built without the help of a dozen other people. But what is up with the Penguin walking away from the chaos he commits? He causes a massive traffic accident that had to have killed several people, all just to find out he knows Spanish better than Batman, and it's adios, catch you later, not to mention the dead body in his SUV that he claims to know nothing about. I could also have done without three endings, that was like a Speilberg film, and not in a good way. 

I'd give it a 6 out of 10, compelling enough if you like the genre, but not particularly outstanding. 

i like it better than 6/10, but this is a thoughtful review.

While I know that this movie has made money for the studio (3.8x production budget), it failed to reach the monetary levels of Batman V Superman (is sitting about $120 million behind, which it will not fully make up since it has gone to streaming).  Since Batman got top billing in BvS and also was in at least 1/2 the movie, I'd say it was at least as much a Batman movie as it was a Superman movie.  So serious question, is the "studio" (especially the new owners) disappointed in how this film did?  I mean Spiderman did damn near $2 billion, so I dare anyone to throw out the "pandamic thing", that excuse is played.  I feel that Dr. Strange is going to make at least $1 Billion, so why didn't Batman, the flagship DC character not make $1 Billion, or even beat the box office of the last "Batman" film in 2016?

On 4/19/2022 at 6:39 PM, media_junkie said:

While I know that this movie has made money for the studio (3.8x production budget), it failed to reach the monetary levels of Batman V Superman (is sitting about $120 million behind, which it will not fully make up since it has gone to streaming).  Since Batman got top billing in BvS and also was in at least 1/2 the movie, I'd say it was at least as much a Batman movie as it was a Superman movie.  So serious question, is the "studio" (especially the new owners) disappointed in how this film did?  I mean Spiderman did damn near $2 billion, so I dare anyone to throw out the "pandamic thing", that excuse is played.  I feel that Dr. Strange is going to make at least $1 Billion, so why didn't Batman, the flagship DC character not make $1 Billion, or even beat the box office of the last "Batman" film in 2016?

Honestly I don't think Batman is seen as kid friendly.  I saw Spidey and Batman in the theater, Spiderman was half kids half adults and when I saw Batman there were, count them, zero kids in the theater.