• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

On 3/3/2022 at 7:00 AM, Bosco685 said:
On 3/3/2022 at 6:47 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Endgame isn't really close to the best CBM.

Not even close :sumo:

Agreed.  It's definitely top twenty though, and I rank it tenth best ever.

On 3/3/2022 at 5:37 AM, atrocitus said:
On 3/3/2022 at 12:54 AM, kimik said:

Who was better in the movie, the Riddler or Batman?

Riddler was better 

He wasn't better than Ledger's Joker though, was he?

I've been skeptical of the glimpses of Riddler we've seen in the trailers.  I have HIGH confidence in Paul Dano and absolutely loved him in There Will Be Blood, but I wasn't sure about Reeves's take here.  I see potential in the trailers , but I couldn't tell much beyond that.

On 3/3/2022 at 7:34 AM, fantastic_four said:

Not even close for me. There are way too many good comic book movies to reference now in a ranking beyond just modern DC and Marvel. Including:

• A History of Violence
  • American Splendor
  • Big Hero 6
  • The Crow
  • Dredd
  • From Hell
  • Ghost World
  • Hellboy
  • Hellboy II
  • Kick-Azz
  • Kingsman
  • Men In Black
  • Road To Perdition
  • The Rocketeer
  • Scott Pilgrim
  • V For Vendetta

On 3/3/2022 at 8:03 AM, atrocitus said:

I think it’s up there with Ledger’s joker. I don’t think the critics are talking enough about his performance. I will always remember Paul from little miss sunshine lol

There's been a number of reviews posted that when you read into the full details they definitely note how Paul Dano was one of the standouts. That was really good to hear, as we all recognize a solid villain can make all the difference in a story.

On 3/3/2022 at 8:02 AM, Bosco685 said:
On 3/3/2022 at 7:34 AM, fantastic_four said:

Not even close for me. There are way too many good comic book movies to reference now in a ranking beyond just modern DC and Marvel.

Oops, my bad, I glossed over "comic book movie" as "superhero movie" which is the only thing I rank since superheroes are so endemic to comics.  Plenty of comic book stories have nothing to do with superheroes so they're definitely two different sets of rankings.

On 3/3/2022 at 8:03 AM, atrocitus said:

I think it’s up there with Ledger’s joker. I don’t think the critics are talking enough about his performance. I will always remember Paul from little miss sunshine lol

I also really liked him in that role from Little Miss Sunshine, but I will always remember him first weeping as Daniel Day-Lewis tells him that he drinks his milkshake.  lol

I've always wanted to create a list of the best scenes in film history, and this one is DEFINITELY somewhere in the top fifty.  :cloud9:

Edited by fantastic_four

On 3/3/2022 at 8:26 AM, fantastic_four said:

Oops, my bad, I glossed over "comic book movie" as "superhero movie" which is the only thing I rank since superheroes are so endemic to comics.  Plenty of comic book stories have nothing to do with superheroes so they're definitely two different sets of rankings.

It is incredible at this point in time we are up to 108 films that have been produced based on DC and Marvel characters alone, including any imprints like Men In Black, RED, Constantine and others. And including the never released Fantastic Four (1994) though it made its way out on VHS. We are awash in personal choices.

DC_Marvel_Films.thumb.png.84a88fa8d3b4aeb0eece0e509edb0c12.png

On 3/3/2022 at 9:47 AM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

You know what they say about a-holes...everybody has one.

What separates one a-hole connoisseur from another is that some people's a-holes are more reasonable, rational, and well thought-out as compared to others.  :sumo:

On 3/3/2022 at 9:15 AM, fantastic_four said:

What separates one a-hole connoisseur from another is that some people's a-holes are more reasonable, rational, and well thought-out as compared to others.  :sumo:

Agree.  But we're discussing entertainment on a comic book forum.  If this was about solving world hunger "reasonable, rational, and well thought-out" opinions would be more important.

Now if somebody said the best Catwoman is Halle Berry...then that's a different story.

***I like Endgame

On 3/3/2022 at 9:50 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I like Endgame, too, but it's not even the best Avengers movie.

On 3/3/2022 at 9:56 AM, D84 said:

I dislike Endgame. It was a convoluted mess.

Endgame gave me some of the best times I had at the movies.  We're talking pure entertainment.  When did these other "better" superhero movies make you cheer and cry at the movies?  Maybe it didn't for you two but I'm talking about the general movie goer...

- When Captain America picked up Thor's hammer

- When Sam said "To your left" and the portals started to open

- When Captain Marvel entered the atmosphere

- Death of Iron Man (first time I teared up since Optimus Prime died)

***Back on topic...definitely seeing Batman

On 3/3/2022 at 11:19 AM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Endgame gave me some of the best times I had at the movies.  We're talking pure entertainment.  When did these other "better" superhero movies make you cheer and cry at the movies?  Maybe it didn't for you two but I'm talking about the general movie goer...

- When Captain America picked up Thor's hammer

- When Sam said "To your left" and the portals started to open

- When Captain Marvel entered the atmosphere

- Death of Iron Man (first time I teared up since Optimus Prime died)

Endgame was a once-in-a-lifetime event. That doesn't meet any objective or subjective standard, though.

I'm dying laughing at the idea of someone crying or cheering to Danvers showing up. :roflmao:

Cutting Thor's dramatic and emotional moment with a Cheez Whiz joke eliminates a movie from contention for "best". While Infinity War still has its moments of cutting tension with jokes, it still maintains a sense of seriousness and danger. Ditto for the first Avengers movie. Endgame is entirely reliant on callbacks and nostalgia to be successful, whereas Infinity War relies on character and storytelling.

Did Iron Man's death make me cry? Yes, but so did Spider-Man's. Is the Portals scene awesome? Sure, but Thor's entrance in Wakanda was better. Is Cap wielding Mjolnir a great comic book moment? Yes, but so is Thanos decimating half of the universe.