• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

On 3/1/2022 at 4:40 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The thing about Snyder is that 2 forms of extreme fanaticism formed around him. For what reason? I have no clue. The 2 extremists are those who are "Snyder cultists", but they were born from the "Snyder haters". I suspect that evergreen DC fans hated Snyder for not recreating Watchmen 1:1 faithfully, and then he directed Man of Steel which just happened to be an origin story without the same camp of Reeve/Routh.

If you know the history of WB's involvement with Watchmen, MoS, BvS, and JL... I can't see why Snyder was receiving hate in the first place. Dude literally had to put material from the graphic novel back into the Watchmen movie. WB hired Nolan and Goyer to create a grounded Superman. BvS was a decade-old idea that was much darker than pre-Goyer and pre-Terrio, and I think that many people know about Josstice League...

All of that being said, there are still blind haters and then the Snyder fanatics. Here we are, you and I and most of the sub-forum, just trying to look at these things from an unbiased perspective.

The Watchmen is such a cinematic achievement for this genre. Nobody should ever hate on Snyder. As a bigger DC fan than Marvel, it was disappointing to see Justice League start out the way it did, vs the Avengers film. 

I think Warner Bros problem lately, is hiring actors and actresses that are already cemented as something else in your head, and trying to turn them into Super Heroes. Never gonna work. I think Cavill, Godot, Fischer and Miller all work well, but having Ben Affleck as Bats and Momoa as Aquaman just doesn't fit. 

That being said, Nolan nailed it with Bale and Ledger... I'm very interested in how Pattinson holds up. I hated the pick at first, but the more I think about it, the more out of left field it is, the greater potential its got...

Stay Tuned Bat Fans

Director and co-writer Matt Reeves has long suggested his The Batman would differentiate itself from previous Caped Crusader movies by being a murder mystery. But there’s more than just a sense of the mysterious to Reeves’ rain soaked epic. With his labyrinthine plotting, tragically human ensemble of characters, and an especially broken Bruce Wayne (a portrait in aloofness by Robert Pattinson), Reeves has crafted a richly realized Gotham City where there may be heroes and villains, but no one is innocent.

Despite initial social media protestations to the contrary by folks who hadn’t seen the movie, The Batman’s running time mostly acts as one of its greatest assets. Here is a superhero movie that is deliberately paced and takes its time to live with its characters and the tangled web they weave through the city. 

Nevertheless, to not recognize The Batman as a magnificent achievement would be to miss the cave for the bats. It’s also worth remembering that Nolan didn’t make The Dark Knight during his first time at the plate—it came after Batman Begins, a film which seemed like a game-changer in its time but appears safely bound by formula in retrospect. And rest assured Reeves sets up more to come.

After a superhero film this extraordinarily satisfying and this determined to have something new to say about Bruce Wayne—and our own world by extension—the anticipation for what comes next will be immense.

Wow!

I like a line from this review comparing it to Dark Knight while also comparing it to two other really good detective films:

http://grouchoreviews.com/reviews/5201

If The Dark Knight is Batman's Heat, this is Batman's Se7en.

Industry projections for the Robert Pattinson movie stand at $115M-$125M domestic, and another $110M-$120M overseas for a global reach of $225M-$245M+. The movie, which carries a production cost of $200M, reps Warner Bros.’ return to pure theatrical releases since executing a day-and-date HBO Max strategy for its U.S. film slate, which began back at Christmas 2020 with Wonder Woman 1984.

When it comes to telling a story about the world of Batman, we have quite a few examples the Dark Knight’s history in film. The issue, at least for me, has been that we never got the Batman that I loved from the comics. In the movies, he’s rarely been a detective at all, let alone the World’s Greatest—and then came director Matt Reeves’ take on Bruce Wayne with The Batman.

A Batman film for Bruce Wayne fans
The legacy of Batman onscreen has been that we’ve seen Thomas and Martha Wayne die over and over again, that Bruce is a human being who gets beat up a lot and has a lot of money. What he hasn’t been is a detective. Now, that’s changed. This is the Bruce Wayne I loved learning about in the comics. It’s the Bruce I’ve been longing to see on the screen, and Matt Reeves and screenwriter Peter Craig gave us a fresh look at the Dark Knight and the darkness that can consume Gotham, and I, personally, hope we get more tales of Robert Pattinson’s Bruce Wayne from the duo.

On 3/2/2022 at 6:44 AM, Bosco685 said:

When it comes to telling a story about the world of Batman, we have quite a few examples the Dark Knight’s history in film. The issue, at least for me, has been that we never got the Batman that I loved from the comics. In the movies, he’s rarely been a detective at all, let alone the World’s Greatest—and then came director Matt Reeves’ take on Bruce Wayne with The Batman.

A Batman film for Bruce Wayne fans
The legacy of Batman onscreen has been that we’ve seen Thomas and Martha Wayne die over and over again, that Bruce is a human being who gets beat up a lot and has a lot of money. What he hasn’t been is a detective. Now, that’s changed. This is the Bruce Wayne I loved learning about in the comics. It’s the Bruce I’ve been longing to see on the screen, and Matt Reeves and screenwriter Peter Craig gave us a fresh look at the Dark Knight and the darkness that can consume Gotham, and I, personally, hope we get more tales of Robert Pattinson’s Bruce Wayne from the duo.

There's a movie that came out, oh, it seems not all that long ago where Bruce spent the ENTIRE film using his detective skills to fight the mob and find Joker.  Maybe they didn't see it?  It's called "The Dark Knight," and it's only the finest superhero film released to date.  Techniques he used include:

• Irradiating money to track its use by Maroney and his mafia buddies
  • Remote-controlling the Batmobile in the parking garage so he could take Scarecrow, the Chechen, and the vigilante Batman group by surprise
  • Staging a yacht cruise with the entire cast of a Gotham ballet as an alibi for where he would be, planting a sonar phone in Lau's Hong Kong tower to disable power and track people within the building, setting charges to detonate at a specific time to break the windows, and timing his cargo plane to fly over shortly after the charges went off to whisk Lau out of the building
  • Wiretapping 911 calls to listen for reports of the Joker's activity
  • Digging bullets out of a wall and reconstructing them to get fingerprints off of the shells
  • Matching the fingerprints to a person at an address that overlooked the funeral of Commissioner Loeb
  • Interrogating Maroney to find the Joker's location
  • Going along with Dent's plan to draw out Joker by claiming he was Batman while Bruce shadowed his paddy wagon waiting for Joker to strike
  • Interrogating Joker
  • Identifying the names of Gotham police officers with relatives in Gotham hospitals anticipating that they would be motivated to kill Reese before he revealed Batman's identity so that Joker wouldn't blow up a hospital
  • Shadowing the police car Reese was in to prevent citizens from killing him
  • Using his cell phone radar tech to use every cell phone in Gotham to act as a sonar to locate Joker
  • Scouting the building Joker was in with his hostages to make sure the people who looked like doctors and henchmen were indeed doctors and henchmen
  • Collaborating with Gordon to falsify evidence to make it look like Batman killed all of the people Harvey Dent killed

So I'm left feeling very, very confused by all of these reviews suggesting we're suddenly getting our first taste of Batman as a detective.  ???  Perhaps they're thinking that using your intellect to track down criminals only counts if you don't use expensive technology to do it?  (shrug)

Edited by fantastic_four

Yeah, Bale's Batman was extremely detective-like in TDK and TDKR.

Also, while it's fair criticism to say that Affleck's Batman may not have done his homework on Superman, his take on Miller's character still used his detective skills a great amount on Luthor and Co. in BvS, and to track down the JL to recruit them in ZSJL, and to find the Mother Boxes/Steppenwolf.

On 3/2/2022 at 9:03 AM, fantastic_four said:

There's a movie that came out, oh, it seems not all that long ago where Bruce spent the ENTIRE film using his detective skills to fight the mob and find Joker.  Maybe they didn't see it?  It's called "The Dark Knight," and it's only the finest superhero film released to date.  Techniques he used include:

• Remote-controlling the Batmobile in the parking garage so he could take Scarecrow, the Chechen, and the vigilante Batman group by surprise
  • Staging a yacht cruise with the entire cast of a Gotham ballet as an alibi for where he would be, planting a sonar phone in Lau's Hong Kong tower to disable power and track people within the building, setting charges to detonate at a specific time to break the windows, and timing his cargo plane to fly over shortly after the charges went off to whisk Lau out of the building
  • Digging bullets out of a wall and reconstructing them to get fingerprints off of the shells
  • Matching the fingerprints to a person at an address that overlooked the funeral of Commissioner Loeb
  • Going along with Dent's plan to draw out Joker by claiming he was Batman while Bruce shadowed his paddy wagon waiting for Joker to strike
  • Interrogating Joker
  • Identifying the names of Gotham police officers with relatives in Gotham hospitals anticipating that they would be motivated to kill Reese before he revealed Batman's identity so that Joker wouldn't blow up a hospital
  • Using his cell phone radar tech to use every cell phone in Gotham to act as a sonar to locate Joker
  • Scouting the building Joker was in with his hostages to make sure the people who looked like doctors and henchmen were indeed doctors and henchmen
  • Collaborating with Gordon to falsify evidence to make it look like Batman killed all of the people Harvey Dent killed

So I'm left feeling very, very confused by all of these reviews suggesting we're suddenly getting our first taste of Batman as a detective.  ???  Perhaps they're thinking that using your intellect to track down criminals only counts if you don't use expensive technology to do it?  (shrug)

But Batman didn't look from the screen into the audience and declare, "Detective work? I got that!"

:shiftyeyes:

On 3/2/2022 at 10:12 AM, The Commissioner said:

Not sure if this has been discussed here yet, but AMC is charging more for tickets for this movie
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2022-03-01/amc-theatres-batman-tickets-price

I saw that news yesterday. It doesn't seem to be a smart brand move. But with the past two years, it sounds like AMC is trying to make up for lost revenue.

Still, not the best reputation move.

On 3/2/2022 at 9:24 AM, Bosco685 said:

I saw that news yesterday. It doesn't seem to be a smart brand move. But with the past two years, it sounds like AMC is trying to make up for lost revenue.

Still, not the best reputation move.

My initial thought was, "What can we do to upset our customers quickly?"  If AMC is raising their ticket prices for select movies, I'll just go to another theater in town.  I understand that they are trying to make up for lost revenue, but going to the movies is already so expensive, it doesn't make it appealing when the price goes up.

On 3/2/2022 at 10:28 AM, The Commissioner said:

My initial thought was, "What can we do to upset our customers quickly?"  If AMC is raising their ticket prices for select movies, I'll just go to another theater in town.  I understand that they are trying to make up for lost revenue, but going to the movies is already so expensive, it doesn't make it appealing when the price goes up.

Oddly enough, I had an AMC discount coupon for The Batman I was going to use this week. I set that aside and started looking at Fandango and Regal as they also have their own special The Batman discount campaigns.

On 3/2/2022 at 6:03 AM, fantastic_four said:

• Interrogating Joker

Noir style of detective.   Yes we have never seen that.

This will be the first time. 

We have never had a Morgan Freeman & Brad Pitt style (Seven Movie 1995) style of Batman.

On 3/2/2022 at 6:39 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Yeah, Bale's Batman was extremely detective-like in TDK and TDKR.

Also, while it's fair criticism to say that Affleck's Batman may not have done his homework on Superman, his take on Miller's character still used his detective skills a great amount on Luthor and Co. in BvS, and to track down the JL to recruit them in ZSJL, and to find the Mother Boxes/Steppenwolf.

I never got that vibe on Bale besides the reconstructing of the bullet scene.

IMO we havent had a true detective Batman before.

Interrogation alone of a criminal doesnt make you a detective.