• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

On 3/4/2022 at 10:11 AM, William-James88 said:

How can it be unbiased, we are comic fans commenting on a comic forum. Everyone has a bias. I much preffer watching a review knowing what the person's bias is and that becomes far more helpful than anything else. 

I give unbiased opinions all the time regardless of the forum. I judge each comic book movie on the same merits as I judge all movies. I’ve seen folks here with an obvious bias give a pass to certain movies based on the brand rather than letting the movie stand on its own.

On 3/4/2022 at 4:25 AM, ▫️ said:

I give unbiased opinions all the time regardless of the forum. I judge each comic book movie on the same merits as I judge all movies. I’ve seen folks here with an obvious bias give a pass to certain movies based on the brand rather than letting the movie stand on its own.

What bias do you detect from his short review?

On 3/4/2022 at 7:07 AM, chrisco37 said:

Got my tix for 6:30 this evening.  Can't wait to see it!  :banana:

I'll give a review tomorrow.  

You don't have to stick around for a non-existant credit scene. But there is a little goody at the end. But doesn't require sticking around if you are needing to 'go'.

:shy:

On 3/4/2022 at 3:05 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

What bias do you detect from his short review?

I don’t know if he’s biased, I just gave him the benefit of the doubt that he’s giving his honest opinion.

On 3/4/2022 at 8:19 AM, ▫️ said:

I don’t know if he’s biased, I just gave him the benefit of the doubt that he’s giving his honest opinion.

Not to worry. Hollywood heard your needs loud and clear and went with a new concept.

White_Men01.thumb.jpg.d68fdcd699ea482267afcaed4bdd8769.jpg

:facepalm:

On 3/4/2022 at 7:19 AM, ▫️ said:

I'm a lifelong Batman fan, who thought this was a poorly directed film.

Every performance, except Colin Farrell and Jeffrey Wright was flat and seemed like they were as bored as I was. Robert Pattinson didn't seem to have any emotions in the film. He has been great in other stuff, so I'll pin this on direction from Matt Reeves. There was ZERO chemistry between Batman and Catwoman.

Most shots seemed to be at least 1/3 longer than needed and the actors delivered the lines like they overdosed on Ambien.

The voice overs made me laugh aloud. It sounded like rejected dialogue from The Tick.

Slow burns can work, but there was no tension. We knew who the killer was, and the story was obvious to anyone who read a Batman comic book. It's like he cut a and pasted bits from the stories, which doesn't work for a mystery because people who read the comics will know what's coming next.

There are two sequences I liked: the scene where Selena was spying at the 4400 and the Penguin car chase.

Edited by D84

On 3/4/2022 at 8:49 AM, William-James88 said:

@Bosco685 what's the etiquette here for startig a spoiler thread? Do you usually do it or can anyone?

I think anyone can/should be able to.  I would just make sure it is noted clearly.   

For example, Bosco started one for The Batman.  And it's very clear in the subject that it's a Spoiler thread.  

Edited by chrisco37

On 3/4/2022 at 8:19 AM, ▫️ said:

You can still be honest and have biases. What if the guy simply doesn't like long movies and always feels they should be cut down, isn't that a bias?

On 3/4/2022 at 7:52 AM, William-James88 said:

You can still be honest and have biases. What if the guy simply doesn't like long movies and always feels they should be cut down, isn't that a bias?

I have no problem with long movies, but you have to pace it properly. I don't mean fast paced, like some quick cut action flick, but it has to keep moving. Shots were redundant, and there were dialog scenes which included: line, pause, next line, pause, etc. This can work if you fill the space between lines, showing the characters reacting and thinking before they speak, but it didn't happen in this movie. Most of the "reaction" shots looked like an actor zoning out after the director called "cut."

It felt like they took the assembly cut, added color grading, music, effects, and said :censored: it, release the movie.

As I left the theater, I heard a couple guys (there were only 10-15 people in the theater) discussing how long they napped during the movie.

Edited by D84

On 3/4/2022 at 4:52 PM, William-James88 said:

Sure you can stretch the definition broadly but when I’m referring to unbiased movie reviews here on these boards, I’m primarily thinking about those who don’t have an absolute affinity for one brand or another like DC or Marvel. Not small biases or preferences for run times etc. 

On 3/4/2022 at 10:02 AM, ▫️ said:

Sure you can stretch the definition broadly but when I’m referring to unbiased movie reviews here on these boards, I’m primarily thinking about those who don’t have an absolute affinity for one brand or another like DC or Marvel. Not small biases or preferences for run times etc. 

Ok, I see, thanks

On 3/3/2022 at 6:36 PM, fantastic_four said:

How did Dano's performance compare to Ledger's?

I rank Ledger second-best among villain performances across ALL films.  Anthony Hopkins as Lecter is first, Ledger second, Bardem as Anton Chigurh in "No Country For Old Men" third.

The truly transformational element with Ledger is he was the first Joker who didn't feel like a caricature of villainy.  I loved Nicholson's Joker a TON, but he was really hamming it up.  Ledger just looked nuts in that role.  Dano looks like he COULD be similar in the trailers, but we'll see.

mitchum in night of the hunter deserves honorable mention.