• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

On 3/7/2022 at 4:45 PM, Bosco685 said:

Yup. But Grace of lately brings a special gift for all to not enjoy

:facepalm:

JessicaChastain01.thumb.jpg.9561e6f027456458265ae6c47d839145.jpg

You'd think a perfessional writer would come up with something better than that.

Just got back from the movie. Even going in with lowered expectations based on word of mouth I had heard, it was a 5 out of 10 movie for me. The -script was so predictable I was calling lines out before the actors/actresses said them. The film was 30-45 minutes too long with a lot of empty scenes. This is like Reeves' Apes movies which could have been cut down and been much better as well. Maybe WB was budgeting by the minute so they had to run long to spend all of the money? 

Zoe Kravitz did better than I thought she would and was a decent Selina. It would be great to see her again. However, Pattinson was as bad as I feared he would be. He needs to stop with the Derek Zoolander school of only one type of facial expression if he is Batman in the next film. If he only has one expression, just put in a cardboard cutout next time and save the money.

It is also funny to see the critics talking about it being a refreshing dark and gritty noir film, yet they were panning Snyder for the same thing just a few years ago. lol 

I hope the movie does great at the box office, but I am wondering how hard it falls off in the next couple of weeks due to the long run time and just being an average film. Discovery needs to punt the entire WB executive when they merge and bring in someone who can bring some coherency to the DCU. Right now allowing directors to just do whatever they want with each property is not working. One friend that was part of our group tonight put it succintly - it has been 10 years since the end of the Nolan trilogy and this is all we got.

It pains me to say this as a Batman fanboy, but if the next film is another Reeves/Pattinson disappointment then I am likely going to save the money and not bother watching it until it hits HBO Max or some other streaming service.

On 3/7/2022 at 3:20 PM, Bosco685 said:

Even when he calls out Matt Reeves not knowing the Batman character - I don't mind someone conveying this doesn't fit their image of the character. Matt Reeves has clearly conveyed he is fanatical over the Batman world. Including in long interviews quoting the material and specific stories that you can tell he is immersed in.

At least be fair with a review versus implying the movie creator doesn't understand the character.

If Reeves is a Batman fan then he must not be reading the same Batman that the rest of us have been since the 1970 revamp. He does not understand the character based on this movie. It is one thing to quote what your PR staff tells you for interviews that give you the questions in advance. It is another to actually show it with the film you direct.

On 3/8/2022 at 12:22 AM, kimik said:

If Reeves is a Batman fan then he must not be reading the same Batman that the rest of us have been since the 1970 revamp. He does not understand the character based on this movie. It is one thing to quote what your PR staff tells you for interviews that give you the questions in advance. It is another to actually show it with the film you direct.

I've been reading Batman since the 70's too. But I also recognize the character is 80 years old, and has gone through multiple interpretations. Including alterations to the character design and influences under many creators.

It's a letdown it didn't connect for you and your friends. But to say Matt Reeves doesn't understand Batman and his universe would dismiss his focus was on the more modern design. Kind of like those that say Zack Snyder doesn't get Superman or even on the extreme scale Christopher Nolan made his Batman too easy to give up when in Dark Knight Rises he just leaves his role of Gotham City protector.

Doesn't make it any easier the film you were excited to see didn't work for you. :foryou:

I wouldn't say that Reeves doesn't understand Batman, but I would say that he doesn't fully understand the necessary dichotomy of Batman and Bruce Wayne. I think that people who are into Batman for more than aesthetics are the ones not fully satisfied by this movie, and that includes myself.

On 3/8/2022 at 7:04 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I wouldn't say that Reeves doesn't understand Batman, but I would say that he doesn't fully understand the necessary dichotomy of Batman and Bruce Wayne. I think that people who are into Batman for more than aesthetics are the ones not fully satisfied by this movie, and that includes myself.

I'd say behind Spider-Man my collection is heavy on Batman stories across his dedicated title, Detective Comics, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight and much more. And yes - I have read them all.

Although I would never say this is the BEST Batman movie ever, I would still rank it right below the first two Christopher Nolan films.

As long as Pattinson's character grows a personality, IDC if he's Batman until 2030. In fact, that is likely to happen.

Zack Snyder is a visionary director of comic book movies, though, and it will suck if he does not direct another CBM. He's a better fit for DC properties, but Marvel would be smart to give him a Hulk project if/when all of the distribution rights settle.

On 3/8/2022 at 8:49 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

As long as Pattinson's character grows a personality, IDC if he's Batman until 2030. In fact, that is likely to happen.

Zack Snyder is a visionary director of comic book movies, though, and it will suck if he does not direct another CBM. He's a better fit for DC properties, but Marvel would be smart to give him a Hulk project if/when all of the distribution rights settle.

Of course I’m joking and I would wager a Snyder Hulk film would be incredible, pun intended.