• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is it about Ebay that attracts so many boneheads?

87 posts in this topic

Ok, small rant here about Ebay, nothing new.

I won a book late Sunday evening for the sellers set reserve. I received a message from him earlier today

"Wondering when I will receive payment? Will cancel transaction if no payment by Thursday."

Nothing else, just that. Good grief man I won this book less than 48 hours ago, no provisions on the listing saying must have prompt payment etc. I have purchased from him twice already in the last couple of months, all paid in full and in a timely manner. Is a curt email like this really necessary? Maybe I have just had enough of all the jokers on Ebay (not just him) (there are some good folks too), but it just seems like there are more and more insufficiently_thoughtful_persons every day on Ebay. :mad:

Ok, rant over.

J

I got a payment reminder on a book about 4 hours after I won it (over the weekend) and another one inside of 24 hours. I was either out of town or busy. Eventually paid about 48 hours after I won it. Guy is a boardie. I sent him a PM here, as well as through EBay. He basically told me to GFM, and that it was his policy to aggressively send out payment reminders. I hope it works out well for him, because I will never buy anything from him. That is the risk you take as a seller.

I won a book late Sunday evening for the sellers set reserve. I received a message from him earlier today

"Wondering when I will receive payment? Will cancel transaction if no payment by Thursday."

Nothing else, just that. Good grief man I won this book less than 48 hours ago, no provisions on the listing saying must have prompt payment etc. I have purchased from him twice already in the last couple of months, all paid in full and in a timely manner. Is a curt email like this really necessary? Maybe I have just had enough of all the jokers on Ebay (not just him) (there are some good folks too), but it just seems like there are more and more insufficiently_thoughtful_persons every day on Ebay. :mad:

Ok, rant over.

J

I got a payment reminder on a book about 4 hours after I won it (over the weekend) and another one inside of 24 hours. I was either out of town or busy. Eventually paid about 48 hours after I won it. Guy is a boardie. I sent him a PM here, as well as through EBay. He basically told me to GFM, and that it was his policy to aggressively send out payment reminders. I hope it works out well for him, because I will never buy anything from him. That is the risk you take as a seller.

That's a bit extreme on his part. Out the MOFO!

lol - just got my 1st one......

"Hey I'm sorry I thought I had more in my account. I can't purchase this now."

gotta redo that BIN with the pay immediately function.....

not even that expensive of a book -

strange - ran it through google translate - came up with this

"I wanted to purchase this book and flip for a profit, my buyer fell through so now I am faking that I have no money so I cannot be held accountable"

man - that google translate gets better all of the time.....

I have had a number of people back out for whatever reason they provide over the years. It's annoying, but I usually just cancel the transaction and relist the item. I typically don't bother with second chance offers if the book was an auction as everyone seems to think it was a shill (I probably would too).

The boards are my #1 source for both buying and selling books for sure. Not always as easy to find a buyer if its a non key book, and you can make more money elsewhere often, but the transactions generally speaking are very smooth and a lot more fun to conduct. As another poster commented, it reminds me a bit of what Ebay was like years ago, hunting for a good deal and lots of great communication happening on both ends from seller and the buyer typically.

Have an amazing Wednesday everyone!!

Warmest Regards,

Jason

Meanwhile there is a thread on another forum somewhere complaining about boneheads who take more than 48 hours to pay after wining something without any other communication. ;)

I do agree there is no reason to be rude though. I usually wait longer, but if I'm cleaning up my ebay to-do list ( leaving feedback, etc), I might sometimes send a reminder after just a couple days with no response - some people actually buy enough stuff that they legitimately forget to pay.

"I wanted to purchase this book and flip for a profit, my buyer fell through so now I am faking that I have no money so I cannot be held accountable"

I have had a number of people back out for whatever reason they provide over the years. It's annoying, but I usually just cancel the transaction and relist the item. I typically don't bother with second chance offers if the book was an auction as everyone seems to think it was a shill (I probably would too).

The boards are my #1 source for both buying and selling books for sure. Not always as easy to find a buyer if its a non key book, and you can make more money elsewhere often, but the transactions generally speaking are very smooth and a lot more fun to conduct. As another poster commented, it reminds me a bit of what Ebay was like years ago, hunting for a good deal and lots of great communication happening on both ends from seller and the buyer typically.

Warmest Regards,

Jason

quick update ---- I did post the "translation" as a joke - I never assume anything in these situations and contact the buyer - just posted simply to them that I usually give someone at leas a week to pay before a reminder is sent - then at least another to submit a claim (unless we have an agreement) - was posted back that they can pay by the weekend so no issues.

Warmest Regards,

Jason

quick update ---- I did post the "translation" as a joke - I never assume anything in these situations and contact the buyer - just posted simply to them that I usually give someone at leas a week to pay before a reminder is sent - then at least another to submit a claim (unless we have an agreement) - was posted back that they can pay by the weekend so no issues.

I figured you were joking with the Google translate...lol

Communication is always good if there is a delay for any reason, I think the challenge here is what everyone's perspective on what an acceptable delay is. Some folks expect payment immediately, some folks can wait a week or longer, other are somewhere in between or even further out. Every human being is different.

I usually just go by whatever the terms are in the listing.

Last week I won an auction which required payment in 3 days. I didn't mind waiting the 3 full days to see if a coupon came up (it didn't!). They sent one kind, professional reminder to pay, I didn't have a problem with that either.

I usually allow 5 days to pay in my listings, and I'll send one or two gentle reminders along the way if I remember. If they take the full five, its fine.

But of course, people should simply act according to the stated terms, whether buyer or seller. If as a seller you want faster payment, change your settings and make your expectations clear up front in the listing, don't threaten people after the fact.

Be professional, follow the agreed upon terms. That should be all there is to it.

Warmest Regards,

Jason

I figured you were joking with the Google translate...lol

Communication is always good if there is a delay for any reason, I think the challenge here is what everyone's perspective on what an acceptable delay is. Some folks expect payment immediately, some folks can wait a week or longer, other are somewhere in between or even further out. Every human being is different.

but there's an opportunity to set your expectations and terms as a seller....so shouldn't they just make them clear then be happy if they are followed?

Ok, rant over.

J

Name names.

Other considerations for those that are not aware:

I almost never pay immediately after winning because I always snipe. I check my phone at night to see if I won and then will pay the next day when I'm on a PC. Sometimes I can't pay on my phone because the system says I can't pay through a mobile device for invoiced items with combined shipping. That's just the way things are. Don't forget the sellers who spread their auctions out over several days. I won't pay if I'm bidding on something else that week, but I normally message the seller as a courtesy.

For non-paying buyers, I'll send another invoice as a reminder and then just let the non-payment case automatically open. :rulez:

I always pay immediately after I win an item. Out of curiosity, if you had the funds to pay him soon after his e-mail, why not right after you won the auction?

Bingo!

I don't understand people who don't immediately pay.

Other considerations for those that are not aware:

I almost never pay immediately after winning because I always snipe. I check my phone at night to see if I won and then will pay the next day when I'm on a PC. Sometimes I can't pay on my phone because the system says I can't pay through a mobile device for invoiced items with combined shipping. That's just the way things are. Don't forget the sellers who spread their auctions out over several days. I won't pay if I'm bidding on something else that week, but I normally message the seller as a courtesy.

For non-paying buyers, I'll send another invoice as a reminder and then just let the non-payment case automatically open. :rulez:

I also try to snipe, and also prefer to pay from my pc, which sometimes isn't available right away.

I always pay immediately after I win an item. Out of curiosity, if you had the funds to pay him soon after his e-mail, why not right after you won the auction?

Bingo!

I don't understand people who don't immediately pay.

I venture to guess that some people buying are also selling at the same time to fund thier purchases. Then everyone gets caught up chasing the buyers for money. It's a vicious cycle.

I hate to say it but buyers are so much worse (in my experience). I sell from Canada, which is clearly stated in my listing. It also states transit times and why the shipping cost is expensive. On several occasions had individuals take a week to pay (I ship within 24hrs & upload tracking to get the top seller) and message me 3 days later demanding where their package is and why its taking so long. Even though everything is clearly laid out my DSRs take a hit.

I must be a huge doosh because I don't see that the seller did anything wrong. It's not easy to decipher tone via text, but even in context his initial message didn't seem that "rude" to me (shrug) I know most people here are in my age range...has it really been that long since our generation didn't need their fanny rubbed all the time?

On several occasions had individuals take a week to pay (I ship within 24hrs & upload tracking to get the top seller) and message me 3 days later demanding where their package is and why its taking so long.

Taking a week to pay, then getting antsy about shipment = dewsh move.

That reminds me of a buyer who took something like 10 days to pay; it actually might have been more like 2 weeks. From the time of receiving an item, I think there's a 14-day window for returning an item, right? On the 14th day, he says he wants to return the item, that he found a better copy or something. So he returns the comic. His tracking showed that the comic arrived to my address on a Friday afternoon. On Friday night, he emails me to say, "Tracking shows that you received the returned item. Where is my refund?" I had a busy Friday night and hadn't replied to him by Saturday morning, and on Saturday morning he sends this email: "You have not replied to my email that I sent you over 12 hours ago. Tracking shows that you received my item! WHERE IS MY REFUND?"

So in summary:

-- Waited more than 10-plus days to pay, with no communication

-- Waited till final day that item could be returned before initiating return process

-- Gave minimal reason for wanting to return item

-- Upon returning item, became immediately impatient and demanding

Some buyers sure are "funny."

I'd prefer spanking. But you know, different strokes and all that

.... time tested behavior modification. Nothing else introduces empathy into the psychological paradigm better...... vitriol rewarded with vitriol, and all that jazz..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I'd prefer spanking. But you know, different strokes and all that

.... time tested behavior modification. Nothing else introduces empathy into the psychological paradigm better...... vitriol rewarded with vitriol, and all that jazz..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thing is, it WORKED. Shame some people can't tell where discipline ends and abuse begins