• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is it about Ebay that attracts so many boneheads?

87 posts in this topic

I'd prefer spanking. But you know, different strokes and all that

.... time tested behavior modification. Nothing else introduces empathy into the psychological paradigm better...... vitriol rewarded with vitriol, and all that jazz..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thing is, it WORKED. Shame some people can't tell where discipline ends and abuse begins

... so true. Child abuse is no laughing matter...... but the few butt whuppings I got while growing up were all richly deserved. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

For me personally I like to keep a bit of a balance in my paypal account in case I have a good deal show up. In this case I was expecting a payment from another buyer to top up the amount in my account. Also, because I am located in Canada, in the past sellers have often needed to get back to me with an updated shipping amount prior to putting forward any payment. This does not occur as often any longer because of the the GSP program (which all Canadians really don't like by the way)

Typically the items I purchase on Ebay are paid in full within 48 hours of me winning them. No one seems to ever have had an issue with it in the past.

Everyone has different preferences/levels of acceptability for timing of payments it seems.

Does anyone else remember the time before Paypal when we had to mail checks or MO's? When very few people even took credit cards?

PP has made paying so easy and so instant, that we forget having to wait for the money while the other person was looking for an envelope and stamps..

On the other hand, there was a long time high volume eBay comic book seller, who used to write witty notes about if he didn't hear from someone in a day, he'd know his odds were not good of getting paid.

That guy had a lot of good advice, like listing at 3am, so people notice your books.

He also must have never slept;) ...but he was funny and a very smart seller.

I think that's the problem, when there is no communication, people get concerned.

Actually I have been on Ebay for a long time and do remember when not everyone had a Paypal account and sending cash or cheques was the norm.

It took weeks to complete a transaction typically. Now every it seems wants to be paid within the hour of auctions end and receive their item the next day...haha.

Exactly;) instant gratification.

The only thing I would suggest is that if you are waiting for payment, so you can pay more easily, just send the seller a note. Communication works two ways and it just prevents high blood pressure on both sides;)

I've never ever been upset when someone writes and says I'm getting paid Friday, is that OK? I often wonder why they bid on Sunday;) but I don't get upset.

Does anyone else remember the time before Paypal when we had to mail checks or MO's? When very few people even took credit cards?

PP has made paying so easy and so instant, that we forget having to wait for the money while the other person was looking for an envelope and stamps..

On the other hand, there was a long time high volume eBay comic book seller, who used to write witty notes about if he didn't hear from someone in a day, he'd know his odds were not good of getting paid.

That guy had a lot of good advice, like listing at 3am, so people notice your books.

I think that's the problem, when there is no communication, people get concerned.

I do remember having to go to Canada Post, having to buy a particular kind of international money order for my eBay wins. It was only fifteen years ago, but it seems like people have grown increasingly impatient.

Selling to Americans from Europe can be painful. After a week I often start to get follow-ups, and after two it's threats of bad feedback and PayPal chargebacks. There is an ocean to cross. It takes time. I blame Amazon for its instilling a free shipping/express shipping entitlement.

Being Canadian I end up waiting at least two weeks. I've never complained about it. Only thing I have complained about is the state some raws come in, double bagged in a modern bag with no boards. That really gets me. Sure double stuff if you have to but use at least one board!

Oh man, those were days. Trips to the post office, getting money orders, lugging packages around. These days I get the payment via Paypal, I print the labels at home (at a discounted rate!), and USPS picks them up at my front door! I clearly don't have much to complain about.

To amend my previous statement, I don't expect auction bidders to necessarily be waiting by their phones/laptops to pay as soon as the last second winds down on an auction. (Although if that happens, great!) But I do feel like if payment can't be sent within the day, a simple message explaining when the payment is coming would go a long way to soothe this seller's mind.

OK, something I don't understand. I had a buyer say they were uncomfortable paying for an eBay purchase with their phone, and someone upthread said the same thing. Now, I admit I've only been selling with the mobile app, not buying, but I assumed that you have some default payment method selected -- either Paypal or a credit card -- and eBay knows about that; and then when you want to pay for an item, you click a "pay" button on the app. No account numbers need to be sent from the phone, just the fact of payment; the rest is inside eBay. Is this not how it works?

OK, something I don't understand. I had a buyer say they were uncomfortable paying for an eBay purchase with their phone, and someone upthread said the same thing. Now, I admit I've only been selling with the mobile app, not buying, but I assumed that you have some default payment method selected -- either Paypal or a credit card -- and eBay knows about that; and then when you want to pay for an item, you click a "pay" button on the app. No account numbers need to be sent from the phone, just the fact of payment; the rest is inside eBay. Is this not how it works?

It's psychological. Much like how some elderly people don't like to use the bank machine and prefer to deal with a real person. Studies show that most people don't like change... Which is why logos and websites opt for an “evolutionary” versus a “revolutionary” change.

Tonight I got a message from a buyer saying that a bust that was shipped to him arrived broken. This is something that happens every once in awhile during shipping, which stuff happens. But the then goes on to tell me that it wasn't packaged well and that he says he thinks it was broken before I packaged it because of the break being clean.

Now come on,who in his right mind wants to go through the hassle of knowingly sending a broken item.I have sold about 50 of these in the last month and have not had this issue, in fact I sold basicly the same bust 2 days prior shipped and packaged the same way and it had no problem.

Its a good thing I insure everything for just this reason, but will probably get hit with a neg anyway.

People that do lame stuff assume everyone does what they do. He would probably try something like that so he assumes you would. I've noticed liars are the first ones to always assume someone is lying.

I've seen a teenager call someone a liar right in front of everyone who saw exactly what happened.

And they'll stick to their guns too!!!

Years ago someone sold me a slabbed certified Near Mint MISB G1 pre rub. I had been looking for this thing for years. It shows up ...ready for this....in a USPS standard priority box........best part....with absolutely NO padding, cushion whatsoever - nothing. So on the way to get to me it bounces back and forth and all around in this bigger USPS box.

Of course there was major damage to the slab. When I inquired baffled to the seller as to how it could have been shipped in this manner; he informed me that his girlfriend had packed and shipped it for him and that he could absolutely not refund me any money because he sold the slab to me at a slight loss.

I also recall getting a negative feedback from a buyer who I sold a CGC slab to. It wasn't for the fact that I shipped it to him in double bubble wrap and double boxed packaging...no.

It was not because I sent him the exact slab pictured that was in the listing. No. He neg'd me because he did not agree with the CGC grade. He felt it was a 9.0 or something like that and NOT the assigned 9.8.

I will have to come back and tell the story about the woman from Canada who lured me into buying a MISB 12" Darth Vader direct/offline. Could not believe the stunt she pulled given her feedback.......