• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

As a Canadian this just kills me every time

40 posts in this topic

Whenever I ship a book, I ship from Michigan because it's insanely cheaper! shipped two giant packages on Monday, total was $60 for both! Canadian it was almost $100 for 1 due to weight and size (damn bubble wrap!) and i didn't even bother checking the other. I also get everything shipped to Michigan so i usually do a pick up and ship at the same time. it's a 2hr drive for me, but still far more worth it than paying $30 to receive a $25 book. my understanding is that Canada doesn't like Canadians shopping outside of the country, so there are import fees taxes, etc. whereas shopping from Canada is so frikkin expensive. go to Amazon.com, find something and then find the same on .ca (if you can) and check the prices. doesn't even make sense.

I use a forwarding address in Niagara Falls that takes them over the border and into Toronto for a minimal fee, but far cheaper than shipping straight to my Toronto address. Since I have gone this route I have saved hundreds and reduces my chances of dealing with duty charges.

I think the reason quite plainly is greed.

Gov and shipping company greed. When oil was lower did we get a break in shipping costs? No.

When the dollar was close to parity did we see equivalent shipping rates to the US? No.

There is some duplicitous behavior underfoot regarding both shipping costs and duty collection. It's quite plain they wish to discourage US cross-border and obtain their cut if you still do it.

As you can see there are some of us circumventing ordinary channels for a better deal.

Its crazy but often its just Ebay and the Global shipping system ripping people off...

Sharon / Skypink shipped me a perfectly packed book to Alberta for $8.50.

No issues no Problems... I understand bigger heavy boxes may be an issue, but lots can make it for under $10 well packed

Is this the official Canuck shipping whining thread?

now that you're here, yeah!!! :banana:

Is this the official Canuck shipping whining thread?

now that you're here, yeah!!! :banana:

Hello Michael
Hell - 0, Gregorius! :/

Its crazy but often its just Ebay and the Global shipping system ripping people off...

No issues no Problems... I understand bigger heavy boxes may be an issue, but lots can make it for under $10 well packed

Same with me, I got my books from her for the same price. All great with no problems! There you go ...this is proof it is possible. :acclaim::sumo:

Of course, it is only with 1-2 books made possible but it exist as a option!

Same with me, I got my books from her for the same price. All great with no problems! There you go ...this is proof it is possible. :acclaim::sumo:

+1 that's what's so frustrating about the $22-30 shipping quote for ONE book. I refuse to pay it, when I know there's a cheaper option!

+1 that's what's so frustrating about the $22-30 shipping quote for ONE book. I refuse to pay it, when I know there's a cheaper option!

FINALLY, a way around getting you those pictures.

s/h for that book, the one I am slacking about, will be $35 for 52 weeks or $98 for 14-42 days.

:screwy:

I like to ship to board members using First Class but I need them to not hold me responsible if the package goes missing or get damaged due to excessive handling from the post office. Priority gives a lot of protection and delivery confirmation but it does cost twice as much as First Class. Can't have it all.

It helps to live within driving distance of the border. I ship to/from the UPS store in Lewiston. It's just over an hour drive for me and I'll make a trip every month or two. It's so much cheaper than shipping directly to Toronto, and I only pay 5% tax on the declared value of any "books" I bring back... because collectible comics are books, right?