• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What percentage of the CGC census is ghosts?

64 posts in this topic

Been thinking about this over the last couple of weeks and curious to see what people's thoughts are. How many census entries are ghosts? For the uninitiated, ghosts are entries in the census that are books that have been cracked out and either resubbed or are sitting raw in someone's collection and the label was never turned into CGC to get the entry removed. I know there is no way to know. No way to even make an "educated guess". But I'm just curious to see some discussion around this.

I would think it would skew heavier to the higher grades as that is where most of the CPR action takes place (I think). As the years go by I think the number gets bigger and bigger and makes the census less and less useful. But just how big is that number?

If I had to guess, I'd say at least 8% of all books graded. It seems that a good number of people do just buy the slab for the verification of the book then crack all of their books.

I probably wouldn't sell most of my slabs. I don't understand cracking them out, except for storage I suppose.

If I had to guess, I'd say at least 8% of all books graded. It seems that a good number of people do just buy the slab for the verification of the book then crack all of their books.

I'd say higher than that. Tons of blue label books get cracked for SS submissions, and the crack/press/resub game is off the charts.

I'd say higher than that. Tons of blue label books get cracked for SS submissions, and the crack/press/resub game is off the charts.

+1 Doing that one myself

I probably wouldn't sell most of my slabs. I don't understand cracking them out, except for storage I suppose.

There are definitely people out there that buy slabs and crack them to keep the book raw. Some on this very board. Not sure how many of them are turning the labels in though (shrug) I'm also guessing this isn't happening at the high grade end for Silver and Gold where the books are worth thousands. But those books are prone to CPR because of the price difference that even a .2 upgrade gets you.

I myself think it's over 20% but I have no rational explanation for that number. Gut feeling I guess

Is it the norm to include the old label when subbing the book after it's been cracked for a signing or to be pressed?

If it's not, should it be?

* This is under the assumption that if included the old label would be removed from the census. *

There are definitely people out there that buy slabs and crack them to keep the book raw. Some on this very board. Not sure how many of them are turning the labels in though (shrug) I'm also guessing this isn't happening at the high grade end for Silver and Gold where the books are worth thousands. But those books are prone to CPR because of the price difference that even a .2 upgrade gets you.

I wasn't even aware that sending in the label was an option

I forgot to factor that people crack for sigs. I've always known that people liked to press and resub but I'm definitely hearing about a lot more of it now. I'm still on the fence about whether I would consider this to be restoration in my opinion.

... when I deslab, I do not send in the label. I keep it with the book as a reminder of CGC's opinion of the book. Most people I know do this as well..... at least those who deslab.GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I forgot to factor that people crack for sigs. I've always known that people liked to press and resub but I'm definitely hearing about a lot more of it now. I'm still on the fence about whether I would consider this to be restoration in my opinion.

I crack for SS. I don't think I would bother with pressing, but I agree with other statements, I see a lot of traffic going that way

Is it the norm to include the old label when subbing the book after it's been cracked for a signing or to be pressed?

There's use to be an incentive as CGC would give a $3 credit for each one turned it.

* My memory might be muddy about the $3 amount. Maybe it was $1.50

If it's not, should it be?

* This is under the assumption that if included the old label would be removed from the census. *

Many moons ago there was a discount in you provided the old label. Now there is no benefit. I know a presser (not CCS) that keeps all labels he presses in case something comes up down the road. I think 20% is too high. Think of how many modern books that Dre et al sub just for 9.8 subscribers. Most that do get squiggles don't crack blue's (most). Most non mega key books don't get cpr'd unless there is a big financial gain to be made. Think <10% is far more reasonable heck maybe even 5% when you talk about all the books. Now if you talk just major keys your percent definitely goes up.

I think of the census as a record of how many times the grading procedure has been carried out and what those results were. While a lot of good information can be gleaned from the census the exact number of slabs is something it could only give an educated guess about.

I would agree with 20% or more. Nothing to base that on either.

Been thinking about this over the last couple of weeks and curious to see what people's thoughts are. How many census entries are ghosts? For the uninitiated, ghosts are entries in the census that are books that have been cracked out and either resubbed or are sitting raw in someone's collection and the label was never turned into CGC to get the entry removed. I know there is no way to know. No way to even make an "educated guess". But I'm just curious to see some discussion around this.

I would think it would skew heavier to the higher grades as that is where most of the CPR action takes place (I think). As the years go by I think the number gets bigger and bigger and makes the census less and less useful. But just how big is that number?

Trust me its huge.

Apart from the CPR trade, and the SS trade, there's the crack out/feel the book in hand/read the book/smell the book mob...and I'm one of them. And its not just higher grades that people do this.

Over the years I've cracked a lot of books, I mean a lot. I've never resubbed them but I have sold a few.

Have I ever turned in a single label?

Honest answer...No.