• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 a terrible year for comic industry?

64 posts in this topic

Maybe readers are getting tired of the variants and reboots.

This. And why should anyone pay the same price for a digital copy that they do for its physical counterpart?

Because they're already doing this with other media - movies and video games are the first that come to mind.

More comic shops??

Two by me closed within the last 12 months and four or five within the last 2 years. I hear there is a new place, have not found it yet though.

I blame

Marvel Now

Marvel Studios

Dell Otto

Variants 1:10, 1:15, 1:25, 1:50, 1:75, 1:100, 1:125, 1:150, 1:300, 1:500, 1:1000, 1:3000, 1:5000

CBSI

Facebook

Twitter

Robert Downey Jr

Greggy

All of Canada except French Canada

Nancy Grace

Donald Dump

Lego CL scams

PIF

Kav for killing the PIF

Anyone west and east of the Mississippi

Dan Rather

Nick at Nite

Listen, I've talked to all the best people, and believe me, the comics industry is going to be just fine. I have a lot of friends, A LOT of friends in the comic business, and they all tell me great things. You're going to get tired of the comic industry winning so much. You're going to come to me and ask, "Why can't we lose a little?" I'm going to answer, "No, we have to win, and we have to win big." I can't give you the details, but believe me, everything is great.

It is going to be YUUGGH! Really it is, it really is.

As for the original article, click bait.

I blame

Marvel Now

Marvel Studios

Dell Otto

Variants 1:10, 1:15, 1:25, 1:50, 1:75, 1:100, 1:125, 1:150, 1:300, 1:500, 1:1000, 1:3000, 1:5000

CBSI

Facebook

Twitter

Robert Downey Jr

Greggy

All of Canada except French Canada

Nancy Grace

Donald Dump

Lego CL scams

PIF

Kav for killing the PIF

Anyone west and east of the Mississippi

Dan Rather

Nick at Nite

Listen, I've talked to all the best people, and believe me, the comics industry is going to be just fine. I have a lot of friends, A LOT of friends in the comic business, and they all tell me great things. You're going to get tired of the comic industry winning so much. You're going to come to me and ask, "Why can't we lose a little?" I'm going to answer, "No, we have to win, and we have to win big." I can't give you the details, but believe me, everything is great.

It is going to be YUUGGH! Really it is, it really is.

As for the original article, click bait.

And Image is gonna make their creators finish their books on time, and we're gonna get Mexico to pay them extra for it. And they're going to be so on time, that eventually they'll be ahead of time, and then they'll be so far ahead they'll release their books in reverse order. Its gonna be great.

Rich Johnston:Digital sales have completely plateaued, growth has been achieved my opening up opportunities in other countries, and now it seems the same is true of print.

No one has the numbers available to prove this. Completely fabricated statement.

And Image is gonna make their creators finish their books on time, and we're gonna get CANADA to pay them extra for it. And they're going to be so on time, that eventually they'll be ahead of time, and then they'll be so far ahead they'll release their books in reverse order. Its gonna be great.

---------

fixed that for you. more relevant in the comic world.

The only thing I can agree with in that 'article' from BC is that titles need to be dropped. Say for example, drop Detective Comics and run only Batman. And, drop all the other Spider-Man's except Amazing. Or something like that, as well as drop titles that are floundering or have been floundering for quite some time.

Maybe focus on YTLM types of series' rather than more indefinite series'. Perhaps readers would respond better knowing the run is limited and won't have any crossover between other titles or any other shenanigans (shrug)

Jerome

The only thing I can agree with in that 'article' from BC is that titles need to be dropped. Say for example, drop Detective Comics and run only Batman. And, drop all the other Spider-Man's except Amazing. Or something like that, as well as drop titles that are floundering or have been floundering for quite some time.

Maybe focus on YTLM types of series' rather than more indefinite series'. Perhaps readers would respond better knowing the run is limited and won't have any crossover between other titles or any other shenanigans (shrug)

Jerome

Yes, drop the very comic DC is named for.

Jerome

It's just crazy enough to work! :idea:

Jerome

Sounds like something DC would do to generate sales. They have tried about everything else.

Jerome

Sounds like something DC would do to generate sales. They have tried about everything else.

I think we all figured they were pretty much out of ideas when they hired JRJR

The independents really boomed.

For Image, it's been positive. But for many other companies, it's been a marginal improvement or flat out tons of garbage.

I really noticed it this week.

I can see why Image's success has caused stores to buy so much.

But I can it's going to shift again very soon.

Marvel is FAR too focused on garbage like Squirrel Girl and GwenPool.

They had some momentum at the beginning of the Secret Wars minis. But completely blew like they usually do.

Both Marvel and DC need a major culling of titles.

Vertigo has to be the most disappointing I've seen in a LOONNNNG time.

Patrick

Jerome

Heck, didn't marvel cancel Fantastic Four? Who would have ever thought we'd see the day that happened.

Jerome

nevermind that Detective Comics is one of DC's best selling books.