• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,137 posts in this topic

Jeff,

What's WEIRD is that I took my WWT run out this weekend and poked through them for the first time in about a year, and then I see these beauties in the other wise dead BA war thread!

The quality on this title is amazing in the first 50 issues or so, then it drops off fast - but these earlier books like the ones you posted are just sweeeeeet!

Nice ones!

Shep

The quality on this title is amazing in the first 50 issues or so, then it drops off fast - but these earlier books like the ones you posted are just sweeeeeet!

Nice ones!

Shep

Thanks Shep.

All of those were graded by the seller as 8.0. I think all of them are remarkably higher than 8.0 :banana:

hm, interesting question. Don't know about 5, bit I have one at least

Our Army at War 244. There was a Sgt Rock story about Easy Company's first encounter with a tiger tank. It featured killer (duh!) Russ Heath art (i think he wrote it too) and in one panel shows the tiger running over a wounded GI, with the tank commander grinning evily. Great stuff.

If you were going to recommend 5 war comics issues for a new collector what would they be? Think about story and artwork.

I would agree with Jeffro on the OAAW 244 for sure and you

can add OAAW 215 for some great Russ Heath artwork. I think

Shep mentioned this issue about ten pages back and I just read

my copy again a few days ago and the art work is awesome. :cloud9:

I thought a great Unknown Soldier story is in SSWS 160 and many

of the Enemy Ace stories on some of the earlier SSWS issues starting

at 138 are extremely good. (thumbs u

It's hard to pick five certain issues. hm

Good Luck and enjoy.

If you were going to recommend 5 war comics issues for a new collector what would they be? Think about story and artwork.

OOoooooh. I love questions like these...

Speaking strictly Bronze Age DC war, these would be my top five.

1. OAAW #244 - Russ Heath's classic 'Easy's First Tiger'. No brainer. Perhaps the best war story of all time.

2. G.I.Combat #151 - Another Russ Heath Gem, with a story about racism in the military. Incredible - but beware... very tough book to find in grades above FN.

3. Our Army at War #218 - This issue is pure, concentrated goodness. A killer Russ Heath.Bob Kanigher Sgt. Rock story up front, and the first appearance of the USS Stevens in the backup tale, by Sam Glanzman.

4. Weird War Tales #10 - 'Who is Haunting the Haunted Chateau' written by Shelly Mayer, and beautifully drawn by Alex Toth.

5. Star Spangled War Stories #164. Aside from a solid Unknown Soldier story up front, the real gem here is 'White Devil, Yellow Devil' - perhaps the greatest short story in all of DC's War comics. Bob Kanigher's -script is perfectly drawn by Alex Toth. Many readers think Toth and Kanigher's 'Burma Sky' is the best, but I prefer this one.

6. BONUS!!! You've got to like Our Fighting Forces #155 - 'A Small Place in Hell'. Jack Kirby draws the Losers with verve and enthusiasm, making for perhaps the single most action packed war comic in the DC war pantheon.

Good books all!!

Shep

6. BONUS!!! You've got to like Our Fighting Forces #155 - 'A Small Place in Hell'. Jack Kirby draws the Losers with verve and enthusiasm, making for perhaps the single most action packed war comic in the DC war pantheon.

On that note, here's a page from that very book. The action here just jumps right off the page! :cloud9:

Our Fighting Forces #155 page 23 pencils by Jack Kirby

DSC08649.jpg

Thanks again to the seller of this page. (worship) It wasn't cheap, but it was worth it.

Andy

Someone asked this question over at the Comics Corral recently and I assume it was the same poster, but I am going to answer it the same way here anyway :)

And I am going to exceed the 5 issue limit by offering two story arcs instead :

1. G.I. Combat #161-162, a story that culminates in the death of one of the haunted Tank's crew. The first comic book death of an established character that I remember.

2.Our Army At War #256 - 260, fantastic Russ heath artwork with Rock stranded in the Pacific. These issues also frequently feature fantastic USS Stevens stories, including my favorite 'The Sea Is Calm, The Sky Is Bright', by Sam Glanzman.

These are, without question, among my favorites from the era, but you can't go wrong with any of the suggestions above, in particular, OAAW 218, and 244. (thumbs u

Oh and that OFF 155 is great! Just action throughout the whole issue, one of my favorites of the entire OFF run.

Someone asked this question over at the Comics Corral recently and I assume it was the same poster, but I am going to answer it the same way here anyway :)

2.Our Army At War #256 - 260, fantastic Russ heath artwork with Rock stranded in the Pacific. These issues also frequently feature fantastic USS Stevens stories, including my favorite 'The Sea Is Calm, The Sky Is Bright', by Sam Glanzman.

That is one of the nicest runs in comics... I know the superhero guys laugh at us war guys some time, because there is so little 'deep' continuity in war comics, but that run beats pretty much everything. I've got a Heath page from #256, and he was at the very top of his game during that run.

Shep

Wasn't me so I am glad you responded to my post (thumbs u

1. G.I. Combat #161-162, a story that culminates in the death of one of the haunted Tank's crew. The first comic book death of an established character that I remember.

These are, without question, among my favorites from the era, but you can't go wrong with any of the suggestions above, in particular, OAAW 218, and 244. (thumbs u

Oh and that OFF 155 is great! Just action throughout the whole issue, one of my favorites of the entire OFF run.

Edited by kidcolt

Wasn't me so I am glad you responded to my post (thumbs u

Glad to help! Lots of good suggestions up there, so read a few and let us know what you think (thumbs u

Hiya boys and girls!

I've just started a new thread and I need your help and input. It's a thread to showcase DC war covers. I'm trying to show off our favorites or perhaps the ones that would be considered extremely challenging to draw and therefore deserve some attention. Eventually, I'd like to start a new thread with a DC war comic cover "Survivor Series".

Please slide over to Comics General and post some great covers in this thread here: DC War Cover Thread

Thanks everyone!!! (worship)

Andy

Sorry to spam, my friends. I just wanted to bring to your attention the Survivor Series of DC war comic covers has begun. Please go to the thread and vote off your least favorite covers. Thanks all! (thumbs u

Andy

DC War Comic Cover Survivor Series Round 1