• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,137 posts in this topic

Andy, I had no idea that there were any foreign war variants... this is the only one I have ever seen (got from a sale here on the boards).

Now I am HOT on the heels of trying to nail more of these... if they even exist.

Shep

That would make a cool Kubert SS book.

Picked up this one from Dale Roberts. Wasn't cheap but I'm happy with it.

One of my favorite books, and total bi-atch in grade. Mine's a slabbed 9.0, and when I last looked it was highest census. That may have changed - still, a tough, tough book in grade.

Shep

That's a great book Jeffro! Artwork by Heath, Toth, Glanzman and Kubert...five very good stories in that one. Nice pick up!

One of my favorite books, and total bi-atch in grade. Mine's a slabbed 9.0, and when I last looked it was highest census. That may have changed - still, a tough, tough book in grade.

Shep

There's a CGC 9.4 W ending on CL tonight. There is a slabbed 9.6 as well (haven't seen it).

OUR ARMY AT WAR #235 Condition: CGC 9.4 NM

And that is a sweet looking raw copy Jeffro. (thumbs u

Shep

There's a CGC 9.4 W ending on CL tonight. There is a slabbed 9.6 as well (haven't seen it).

Thanks for the heads up, Bill - seems a lot of 9.4 and 9.6 graded issues have appeared since I stopped buying slabs.

Good thing I stopped, too... I'd be broke!

Shep

Shep

Thanks for the heads up, Bill - seems a lot of 9.4 and 9.6 graded issues have appeared since I stopped buying slabs.

Good thing I stopped, too... I'd be broke!

Shep

Yeah, despite what you would think, you still have to pay to play in the world of slabbed DC bronze war in 9.6 (and some 9.4s).

I was hoping it would ease up a bit, but no such luck as yet. Most of the books I am looking for don't even come up for sale and I have a feeling CGC's impending new pricing structure will make slabbing most books of this genre and age even less likely in the future.

I still need 6 issues of SSWS post #188 and cannot even find them raw NM or NM+ to slab on my own as I doubt dealers would take the chance due to demand compared to the superhero books.

In retrospect, pursuing strictly grade 9.4 and 9.6 slabbed BA war books was one of the worst collecting decisions I ever made.

I wound up selling my Atlas war books, and many Silver Age war books, not to mention some pretty sweet art in order to have the perverse privelage of having 'top of census' books. It was expensive, frustrating, and for me anyway, ultimately very unsatisfying.

And considering I had all the books in NM- to NM shape raw, it was sort of an unnecessary duplication. Sigh.

But, you know, live and learn. I still buy slabs from time to time, but mostly mid-grade silver. And I did keep a couple of slabs of note (GIC #141 in 9.6, OAAW #218 in 9.4, OAAW #244 in 9.6, OFF #171 in 8.5). But my main meat now is raw. Some great deals out there these days.

I hear you about the later SSWS books - they are very, very tough in grade.

Shep

I started scanning the stories, but it just got too much of a pain - considering that you can pick up low grades for next to nothing, just seemed easier to buy 'em and cut 'em up!

Funny you mention hat Shep. In lieu of collecting high grade books now I've resorted to cheap low grade books with good PQ that I can chop up for an scanning online images of most of my horror books. Time to look within for contentment of the books...

Hey Sterling,

I'm one low-grade beater away from having all the Bob Kanigher Gallery of War stories to cut out and bind into an Archive-style hardbound edition. My plan is to create a dust jacket, intro... the whole nine yards.

It amazes me that DC haven't done a Losers, Gallery of War or USS Stevens compilation....

Comics are ment to be read and enjoyed. I love buying mid grade books and being able to read them and enjoy all of the fantastic art work. I understand why people buy slabs but that isn't for me. I would rather own a dozen mid grade comics that contain great stories and art work then one high grade book.

Its too bad that you had to sell so much if your stuff before you realized that you made a mistake. The bonus is you have the high grade books which will be easy to sell. You can easily flip them and start buying back some of the issues you originally sold.

In retrospect, pursuing strictly grade 9.4 and 9.6 slabbed BA war books was one of the worst collecting decisions I ever made.

I wound up selling my Atlas war books, and many Silver Age war books, not to mention some pretty sweet art in order to have the perverse privelage of having 'top of census' books. It was expensive, frustrating, and for me anyway, ultimately very unsatisfying.

And considering I had all the books in NM- to NM shape raw, it was sort of an unnecessary duplication. Sigh.

But, you know, live and learn. I still buy slabs from time to time, but mostly mid-grade silver. And I did keep a couple of slabs of note (GIC #141 in 9.6, OAAW #218 in 9.4, OAAW #244 in 9.6, OFF #171 in 8.5). But my main meat now is raw. Some great deals out there these days.

I hear you about the later SSWS books - they are very, very tough in grade.

Shep

Comics are ment to be read and enjoyed. I love buying mid grade books and being able to read them and enjoy all of the fantastic art work. I understand why people buy slabs but that isn't for me. I would rather own a dozen mid grade comics that contain great stories and art work then one high grade book.

And that's why I have a ton of OAAW books in my reading collection. :grin:

Back in the day when I was heavy into HG super hero books, I would still try to complete my reader runs of GIC, OAAW, and Sgt Rock. Back then I wasn't interested in trying to get HG war comics. These days (20+ years later) I am but going for slabbed bronze war is not only frustrating but expensive.

The beauty of this hobby is it offers so many different options for collectors. You can collect to read, complete runs, high grades, specific artist/writers, themes (bondage, dogs, girls, horses, planes, western, horror, war etc..), titles, signature series and the list goes on and on. The hobby is also great for every budgeted collector.

:cry:

Bronze and copper war fans should recognize his name and his work. Very distinctive style that I know was not everyone's cup of tea. I liked his stuff. I think he did work on all issues of Blitzkrieg, for example.

R.I.P. Ric

I loved Ric Estrada's work... I grew up with it in the 1970s, and I always like his clean, expressive style.

I was very fortunate to have met him on a couple of occasions in San Diego, and he was a very sweet, thoughtful and gentle soul.

Sigh.