• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,137 posts in this topic

I'm one issue away from completing my SSWS mini-run featuring the Unknown Soldier. :grin:

I broke down and picked up the 171 CGC 9.4 and a 175 9.6 in a Clink auction awhile back. Now I just need to find 172 in grade. Tough, tough black cover on that one. I'm going to look for a copy at the NYCC, and I'll probably be happy settling for a strict VF.

I'm one issue away from completing my SSWS mini-run featuring the Unknown Soldier. :grin:

I broke down and picked up the 171 CGC 9.4 and a 175 9.6 in a Clink auction awhile back. Now I just need to find 172 in grade. Tough, tough black cover on that one. I'm going to look for a copy at the NYCC, and I'll probably be happy settling for a strict VF.

Best of luck! Let me know if you need help. (thumbs u

That'll be a great achievement when it's done. (worship)

Andy

I'll throw out one of my favorite BA Fury covers. Hopefully, I'll have something new to add tomorrow. There's a show here, and you never know what'll turn up! :wishluck:

sgtfury-95520x773.jpg

Great cover, Larry, who's the artist?

Best of luck! Let me know if you need help. (thumbs u

That'll be a great achievement when it's done. (worship)

Andy

Thanks, Andy!

I think it's come up a few times before, but it's always funny with these BA DC war titles which random issues never seem to turn up in HG.

For SSWS 151-204, I've seen more HG copies pop out of 151 and 154 than I expected. But, since they're the two big keys, it makes sense more would materialize.

The 48 and 52 pagers also seem to be more available. I remember having a tough time with 158 and 162.

For the 20-cent issues, 171,172 and 175 come to mind. I had no trouble finding 181 and 182 (the enemy ace issues), but 183 was tougher. (Hmm, did you hook me up with that one, Andy?) Great cover, the first time they reveal the Unknown Soldier's hideous face.

25-cent issues that were tough -- definitely 187, another great cover with the U.S. getting his mask torn off. Black cover, too. Also, 204 was tough.

I was able to find most of the Unknown Soldier 205-268 in grade fairly easy. Again, random issues were unexpectedly tough. The Frank Miller issue (219) was widely available, no trouble finding that.

Tough US issues in grade for me were 205,225,228,235 and 246 (a reprint of SSWS 159) . Quite a few of these don't have a Kubert cover, mostly Ayers, I think.

Once I've finished, I think I'll finish my Men of War run. It's been neglected for awhile. The tough issue seems to be 26, the final issue with a Sgt.Rock/Easy Co. cameo.

Edited by MisterX

So true Mister X about paricular SSWS/US issues being tougher than others.

Of all those books, I have actually found the issues from 220-230 the toughest. You think there's be a TON of those out there. But they tend to follow the trend of all non-dollar genre books during the 'DC Implosion' era - much harder than earlier and later issues.

Wonder if they really dropped the print runs, or if there were serious distribution problems? Or did dealer simply not keep any of those issues?

Shep

Worldwide Comics has a CGC 9.6 copy on their site.

Once I've finished, I think I'll finish my Men of War run. It's been neglected for awhile. The tough issue seems to be 26, the final issue with a Sgt.Rock/Easy Co. cameo.

26 is the one I'd like to find in high grade.

On an unrelated note, I recently got a real nice HG copy of GIC 288 from GAcollectibles. Now, I need a copy of Sgt Rock 422 in similar grade.

Edited by Jeffro

I did it!

:banana:

I finally finished my SSWS/Unknown Soldier run 151-204!

Thanks to Weird for pointing me toward Worldwide Comics. I checked out their site and saw a slabbed 9.6, but they also had a raw 9.2 from the Peter Kuper collection listed as well. (Kuper is a political cartoonist currently drawing Spy vs. Spy for Mad Magazine.)

I emailed Worldwide and asked them to bring the raw book to the show. Stephen said it would be there, and it was (thumbs u -- the good kind!

Some day I'll get around to scanning and posting books. But let me tell you, it is very sweet. No spine stress, sharp corners, just amazing for a book with a mostly black cover. That Kuper guy took good care of his comics!

As an added bonus, I picked up the elusive-in-high-grade Men of War 26 from Mr. Dale Roberts for 50% off!

Although I was not specifically hunting for war books this time around, I did notice a few things:

A lot of greytone covers now seem to be wall books, with higher prices, and about Fine being the highest grade.

OOAW leads the pack in terms of dealer stock. I saw a ton of them. Next up SSWS (dinosaurs, a few Enemy Ace/Unknown Soldier), GIC (mostly from about 140 to 200), OFF (Hellcats and Losers) and finally All-American Men of War.

A scattering of Atom Age stuff, but no Foxholes that I could find.

Wish I had more to report, next year I'll pay more attention.

Edited by MisterX

I did it!

:banana:

I finally finished my SSWS/Unknown Soldier run 151-204!

Thanks to Weird for pointing me toward Worldwide Comics. I checked out their site and saw a slabbed 9.6, but they also had a raw 9.2 from the Peter Kuper collection listed as well. (Kuper is a political cartoonist currently drawing Spy vs. Spy for Mad Magazine.)

I emailed Worldwide and asked them to bring the raw book to the show. Stephen said it would be there, and it was (thumbs u -- the good kind!

Some day I'll get around to scanning and posting books. But let me tell you, it is very sweet. No spine stress, sharp corners, just amazing for a book with a mostly black cover. That Kuper guy took good care of his comics!

As an added bonus, I picked up the elusive-in-high-grade Men of War 26 from Mr. Dale Roberts for 50% off!

Although I was not specifically hunting for war books this time around, I did notice a few things:

A lot of greytone covers now seem to be wall books, with higher prices, and about Fine being the highest grade.

OOAW leads the pack in terms of dealer stock. I saw a ton of them. Next up SSWS (dinosaurs, a few Enemy Ace/Unknown Soldier), GIC (mostly from about 140 to 200), OFF (Hellcats and Losers) and finally All-American Men of War.

A scattering of Atom Age stuff, but no Foxholes that I could find.

Wish I had more to report, next year I'll pay more attention.

First off, congrats!!! Great accomplishment! (thumbs u

Secondly, about the greytones being in Fine condition and now are wall books, this has been true for a bit, from what I've seen as well. Rarely, will you find one of those higher than a Fine. In my opinion, they should all be wall books, but every dealer has a limited amount of wall space and with the majority of buyers wanting men in tights, there just isn't enough room for the greytones. Start finding those beauties in F/VF and above and you've just hit the jackpot, tiger. :whee:

Andy