• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,137 posts in this topic

What would you all pay for, at best, a G/VG copy of Sgt Rock's 1st appearance?

Jim

Depends on what you consider his first appearance.

Some (including Overstreet) say it's OAAW #81. In G/VG, I'd be thinking $175-$250 range, depending on which way it leans.

Myself, I consider Rock's true first appearance to be in OAAW #83. In G/VG, $225-$300. It's a better book, a tougher book to find, a harder book to get in grade because of the black cover.

Some might say that's too much - but that's the first appearance of the most successful original DC character of the Silver Age. It's an incredibly important book. I paid $440 for a nice, flat VG+/FN- a few years ago. Never thought twice about it. It's an amazing book, and rarer than hen's teeth in any grade. OAAW #81 is at least twice as common.

Hope that helps!

Shep

Jim

Some (including Overstreet) say it's OAAW #81. In G/VG, I'd be thinking $175-$250 range, depending on which way it leans.

Myself, I consider Rock's true first appearance to be in OAAW #83. In G/VG, $225-$300. It's a better book, a tougher book to find, a harder book to get in grade because of the black cover.

Some might say that's too much - but that's the first appearance of the most successful original DC character of the Silver Age. It's an incredibly important book. I paid $440 for a nice, flat VG+/FN- a few years ago. Never thought twice about it. It's an amazing book, and rarer than hen's teeth in any grade. OAAW #81 is at least twice as common.

Hope that helps!

Shep

I ask because I was at a LCS yesterday that had one (#83) for $110...

Jim

Weird: Great, great books! That Brave and the Bold was the first thing I thought of when I heard that Aparo had passed away. I got to see some of his work in Phantom Stranger for the first time yesterday and was impressed as always. He did great rainstorms!

This OAAW is tremendous. Just pure Rock with his amazing determination. I don't think I have this one.

Btw, speaking of determination, I just read this book by Dean Karnazes:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1585424...5Fencoding=UTF8

OAAW 231: Little dist. ink at the top. Cover reminds me a lot of SSWS 151 with the color scheme. This is a 9.4 OW-W.

1154996-OAAW231.jpg

Jim

Hope that helps!

Shep

I ask because I was at a LCS yesterday that had one (#83) for $110...

Jim

G/VG? Bust out your chequebook, m'boy! That's a very good price on that book.

Shep

Yeah, I don't know what that dude's prob is with shipping. confused-smiley-013.gif

Nice book! thumbsup2.gif Put in a request for a SSWS registry in the "Please add these sets" thread since you seem so intent on beating me out for HG slabs. poke2.gif

Don't worry. I'm only into SSWS right now. You can have all the other Big Five books. flowerred.gif

Well his slow shipping cost him some money as I was going to bid on a couple of his war books yesterday but hadn't recieved this one yet. I'm sure someone got a decent deal though. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Don't worry. I'm only into SSWS right now. You can have all the other Big Five books. flowerred.gif

Well his slow shipping cost him some money as I was going to bid on a couple of his war books yesterday but hadn't recieved this one yet. I'm sure someone got a decent deal though. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah, the only run I am really into slabbed are the SSWS Unknown Soldier issues. Other bronze war can be raw for all I care. It is a very cool run to collect, you've made a good choice. US is right up there with Jonah Hex and Batman as my favorite comic characters.

I did get some good deals if you compare them to what was originally paid for these Rosa books. I don't know if he is just tired of comics - didn't really notice him buying comics much before the Rosa Collection came out - or what. I think I nabbed both books yesterday at about half of what he paid for them (or less) within the last year.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Nice. I think you picked up a few that I had been stewing over. Was that giant a BIN by chance? I've been looking at a BIN on the bay that was a 9.0, too.

There were two CGC'd 203s up... this one was around $90 + shipping, and the other that is still there is $10 or $15 more. They both looked comparable, with similar pages, etc..... however this one wasn't a BIN... it auctioned up into the $90 range and I was the winner. $100 was my target on a 9.0 of this book. It's a tough book anywhere in the 9s.

I've had 4 (!) copies of this book over the years.... a distributor copy with 1/2 the top page missing, a VG, A Fn/VF, and now this one which will hold me. It's been a steady uphill climb. The only giants I need to upgrade are #275 (should be easy) and #216 (going to be a biatch!) Superworld does have a 216, but it's a VF+.

Shep

Hey Lads,

I have written many posts in the past about which DC war books are hardest to find in grade (and by that I mean sharp 9.0 and better)

I have been really heartened to see some great books appear (both for myself and other forumites) in recent months. Thanks to the Rosas and a few other nice collections, some great books have come into the market. I've seen nice copies of pretty much all the 15-cent war books, and most of the 64/52/48 pagers. It's great to see!

So... which books are you gents still having a hard time finding? For myself, really sharp copies of G.I. Combat 150 and Our Army at War 222 are two books that I have not found in sparkly shape. And I still stand by my contention that, for distribution reasons, G.I. Combat #141 remains the toughest BA war book to find in grade - only one in the census... and it's a 7.0!

Love to know what everyone thinks,

Shep