• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,137 posts in this topic

If only the good ole LCS had a few more SSWS like this and the 151 I recently picked up...

SPWS154.jpg

Love that book... I'm looking to upgrade!

I found a total beater in a nickel box when I was a kid - it was the first time I ever read Enemy Ace. Amazing cover too!

Sniffle, honk

Shep

If only the good ole LCS had a few more SSWS like this and the 151 I recently picked up...

SPWS154.jpg

I found a total beater in a nickel box when I was a kid - it was the first time I ever read Enemy Ace. Amazing cover too!

Sniffle, honk

Shep

Good Luck! I was really pleased to find this one. It's in great shape inside and out except for a faint crease from the 15 cent mark to the bottom of the page but i ain't cryin' cloud9.gif

No quesiton Karma, that is a tough book to find in grade. Mine's maybe a FN+, and a truly nice one has eluded me for some time. I think it may be tougher in grade than #151.

Nice find.

Shep

If you ask me they are all tough. War books be they Atom, Silver or gold just don't come up for sale too often in NM on eBay or elsewhere(Met not included). I've been looking everywhere for a couple months and only a couple purchases to show for it.

I think a lot of guys that didn't end up being collectors read War comics as kids and those comics didn't get preserved as well as the Hero comics making them harder to find. Heck, I have about 300 old war books here that are just in ratty shape cuz I wasn't worried about taking care of comics when i was reading them...if only i knew foreheadslap.gif

Edited by Karma23

I found a total beater in a nickel box when I was a kid - it was the first time I ever read Enemy Ace.

Speaking of first times, The Great Escape was the first comic book store I ever set foot in! Blew me away. (As I posted in the Your First Comic Book Store thread.) Nashville was our stopping point for family drives from Michigan to Florida and The Great Escape was always the highlight of the trip for me.

Marc

No quesiton Karma, that is a tough book to find in grade. Mine's maybe a FN+, and a truly nice one has eluded me for some time. I think it may be tougher in grade than #151.

Nice find.

Shep

Sulipa had a raw VF/NM SSWS 154 in his last mailing for like $150 or something IIRC. I almost pulled the trigger. G.I. Combat 275 is killing me atm. Have no idea why I cannot find a NM copy of it. 274 is the Crisis book, right?

As I said earlier (not sure if it was this board) those late GIC's were just not ordered in any quantity. I'd order one a month and it would never sell and it would get placed in a box with a bag, no board, and lugged to conventions every weekend. So it's not suprising to me that someone would have trouble with any of those late ones, especially in grade.

For some fun reading about the early days of The Great Escape you have to go maybe 1/4 of the way into this series of blogs:

http://www.thatse.com/phowley.html

As I said earlier (not sure if it was this board) those late GIC's were just not ordered in any quantity. I'd order one a month and it would never sell and it would get placed in a box with a bag, no board, and lugged to conventions every weekend. So it's not suprising to me that someone would have trouble with any of those late ones, especially in grade.

For some fun reading about the early days of The Great Escape you have to go maybe 1/4 of the way into this series of blogs:

http://www.thatse.com/phowley.html

Thanks for sharing that! First time I went to the Escape was 1977 and I wasn't sure how long it had been open thumbsup2.gif

My firsr comic shop was calles the Escape Hatch, here in St. John's Newfoundland. I was 8 when my dad first took me there, and it was truly a life-altering experience.. 'You mean, people actually KEEP old comics?' It blew my mind!

I still have many of the books I bought there (though they are truly beater now). I typically sell my undercopies as I upgrade, but not those - they're like ancient documents to me. Books that I bought there? GI Combat #151, SSWS #148, Showcase #58, almost all the Kirby Losers books, G.I. Combat #7 (!), some precode Atlas war, Sgt. Fury Annual #1... it was a true hodgepodge. Never knew what you were going to find.

War books in NM and better really are rare. Even later books (like that G.I. Combat #275) are tough... Weird War in particular are tough, post-implosion. It's true that most guys read their books down, so there are fewer sparkly copies going around. But that's the fun, I guess... even it it is maddening.

Shep

One of the rare Doug (Johnny Quest) Wildey Sgt. Rock jobs! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Sorry, I don't have a HG copy.

I've got a raw 7.0 or so, and I missed out on a nice raw 9.4 last year. Not letting that happen again.

Shep

my copy is about a 5.0, I've had it since I bought it at Super X all those years ago frown.gif

It's a tougher book than usual, no question.

I wasn't terribly impressed with the artwork when I bought mine back in 77 so that's how it ended up in that condition. Sadly, most of the original copies of my war books suffered the same fate, good artwork or not foreheadslap.gif