• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,137 posts in this topic

If you guys think Weird War is tough, send me your want list...I have a source mostly 9.2-9.6 post 1975 or so.

Just in case I'm not known...which is about 99.6% likely, I'm the guy who has the highest graded copies of of WWT's on the registry. And due to other purchases pressing I'm thinking of selling my run. I would like to sell as a lot, but individual offer's would be considered.

I will post scans shortly for all on this thread to enjoy, and no I'm not listing anywhere else right now. If I sell them I want them going to the right home(s).

WWT...

#1 CGC 9.4

#2 CGC 9.6 -highest, 1 equal

#3 CGC 9.6 -highest -2 equal. Don Rosa

#4 CGC 9.8 -sinlge highest graded

#5 CGC 9.6 -single highest graded

#6 CGC 9.4 -highes, 1 equal. Don Rosa

#8 CGC 9.4 -highest, 2 equal. Don Rosa

#9 CGC 9.6 -highest, 2 equal.

#10 CGC 9.6 -highest single copy. Don Rosa

Thanks.

popcorn.gif Have any SSWS lying around you don't want? popcorn.gif

Wish I did, but no sorry. I do have one Oakland OAW, the weeping statue issue, that it, oh and a whole bunch of All-star Western's(70's) in top order. Thats as close as I get on this genre.

hail.gif Phenomenal.

Thanks, but I think me and a few other's owe a nice thank you to Mr Rosa for bringing his collection to the market.

Those WWT books are so difficult to get hold in top order, I had been hunting around for quite a number of years looking for top condition with no success until his books entered the market. I'm confident there are more high grades out there, but nothing else to date had the consistancy of his books.

I would love to see the finally tally on the grading of the Don Rosa collection. I've bought multiple books for the same title from varying sources of the collection, so it seems a lot of people got equal dibs on the books at first offering. The deck cetainly had a good shuffling.

hail.gif Phenomenal.

Thanks, but I think me and a few other's owe a nice thank you to Mr Rosa for bringing his collection to the market.

Those WWT books are so difficult to get hold in top order, I had been hunting around for quite a number of years looking for top condition with no success until his books entered the market. I'm confident there are more high grades out there, but nothing else to date had the consistancy of his books.

I would love to see the finally tally on the grading of the Don Rosa collection. I've bought multiple books for the same title from varying sources of the collection, so it seems a lot of people got equal dibs on the books at first offering. The deck cetainly had a good shuffling.

I have 18 Rosa WWTs, but most were cheapies from later in the run.

I bought the Rosa #9 raw in NM- and then preceeded to put a small tear on the top of the front cover when transferring it into a new mylar. I totally yelled out loud. I should be banned from handling any pedigree books. frustrated.gif

hail.gif Phenomenal.

I bought the Rosa #9 raw in NM- and then preceeded to put a small tear on the top of the front cover when transferring it into a new mylar. I totally yelled out loud. I should be banned from handling any pedigree books. frustrated.gif

893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

hail.gif Phenomenal.

893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

I have heard too many stories of guys beating up their books on the 4 mil mylars. Here's my solution:

Place your book in a mylite first. Tape with one piece of low-tack tape. Lay on two backing boards. Tuck the whole sh'bang inside a 4 mil. Some will complain of off-gassing, no buffering, etc. But I have had no problems with it. And a friend who has had his super-white Salida books stored that way for many years swears by it, and the books are fresh as a daisy.

When I want to read/look at the book, I just slide a backing board into the mylite, and slip the book out on it. Spines stay cherry.

It's all nice. And no, I do not own shares in Gerber!

Shep

Sorry about the ripe subject heading.

So... what's the worst you've done to a nice book? Dropped it? Sliced a piece off on the edge of mylar? Bent a nice crease into the spine?

As for me, there are two events I would prefer to forget.

I once pulled a huge tape tear off an otherwise FN copy of G.I. Combat #7 - that was when I ten or eleven years old. Still have the book.... AS A REMINDER!!!!!

Three years ago, I was putting a VF copy of OAAW #136 into a 4 mil mylar. I shave a perfect slice right out of the spine.... it was like a friggin cheese-cutter.

And that's when I embraced the joy that is the double bag.

Shep

Forgive me lads. Work is slow and I'm on a bit of a posting jag.

Mentioning the G.I. Combat #7 in the previous post brings up a nice memory. If I've shared it before, forgive me. My memory's not what it used to be... must be all that aluminum cookware.

Anyway, in 1980 I visited my local comic shop and saw... GASP.... a FN copy of G.I. Combat #7 on the wall. It was the first time I'd ever seen a Silver Age war book. I was eleven, and I was with my bro who was probably 20 at the time. The book was ten bucks... which was the same as $1000 bucks. Totally unattainable for me. I begged my bro to lend me the money, to which his reply was 'Are you f*cking nuts?'

So, I went home with my usual beater books from the quarter bins. I was mopey all day. My dad asked me what was wrong, and I guess I muttered 'G.I. Combat #7..... 1952..... ten bucks....' and skulked away.

The next day I came home from school for lunch. In a very non-chalant way, the old man said 'Hey Brian, can you get my smokes from my coat for me?' which of course, I did practically every day. I went over and lifted his jacket from the chair, and there was the #7. I nearly sh*t in my pants.

And to pour gravy on top of that, here's what the old man did next. Obviously, I wanted to bring that sweet book into school to show off the other boys. But my mom said 'No way... that cost $10!' With that, dad took a long drag on his smoke - and knowing he was the king of my world - said 'Effie (that's my mom) if he can't take it in and rub the other boys' noses in it, what's the point in having it?'

Like all men, I've had my ups and downs with my pop... but man, he knew how to raise kids.

Shep

I whipped my @ss with a comic...true story...

So, did the whipping feel good? 893whatthe.gif

SNAP!

"Again, this time with a GIANT-SIZE!"

27_laughing.gif Wiped... crazy.gif

Though I may have to consult the wife on further exploratory methods... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifsmirk.gif

Jim

Now that is a great story. My dad would have said, "What the f#** you want that thing for...are you gay or something?" I sh** you not. 27_laughing.gif

Granted, that is how my dad felt about my G.I. Joes. Whic explains why I still have my comics and no G.I. Joes!

I fully endorse my 7-year old son's desire to play video games, read comics, and watch lots of TV. He gets all my VG and lower BA beaters... and he loves them to death. He has now become aware of the fact that dad has a large room full of (his words) 'sweeties' down in the basement, and he is totally stoked. He likes me to pull out a box, and lay out them out on the desk in one-year runs. No sh*t. He has actually said 'So, dad.... what do the 1972 G.I. Combats look like?'

I love them at this age!

Shep

So... what's the worst you've done to a nice book? Dropped it? Sliced a piece off on the edge of mylar? Bent a nice crease into the spine?

I had a beautiful Warlock #1 (black cover, so tougher) in a fresh bag on a small pile and somehow it was so slippery that a second later it slid right off and fell a few feet. It it had made it to mylar it might've been saved but the backing board hit and put a bend in the back cover of the book.

I heard a story that Redbeard was reading a Timely and fell asleep face forward into the book, causing a few hundred dollars of damage.

Dare you to ask jbud about his ASM 50...

Cool story about that GIC 7 btw.

Marc

I'm pretty sure it got F-ed up, but I never saw it.

Green Lantern __, the first GA green lantern cross-over, pretty expensive book, nice condition, probably a qualified VF/NM except one of the staples was popped.

Had it in my hand while I was going out to the car after helping my friend at a show. Put it on the top of the car while helping him load the car up. Forgot all about it when we drove away. Must have fallen into the snow in the parking area and probably got mangled by the other cars. That was my "pay" for helping him that day at the show!

Well, this isn't me but someone I sold a Ghost #17 to cracked it and split the spine. I have tape pulled on a House of Secrets 52 pager. I almost cried, that most rare kinda crying...MALE crying. frown.gif