• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,136 posts in this topic

You're getting some good prices on some good books, in my mind. I paid $80.00 for my CGC 8.5 copy of SSWS #154, which I was quite happy with. Truth be told, I'd love to buy a 9.2 for $175 as well. $200 for #151 in 9.2 sounds very fair. Good job! thumbsup2.gif

Andy

From Lonestar comics - nice book, and one I looked for for a long time in grade.

wwt19a.jpg

That 12 and 19 are sweeeet! The reds on that 19 just bleed off the cover.

Hey Rip,

It literally took me two years to find a nice copy of that book... anyone else have a hard time getting a copy in grade? Maybe there was a distribution issue (or maybe it was just bad luck).

I got a tip from a buddy to try Lonestar comics. I checked their website and ordered about 30 books.... all purportedly NM. Half - like this WWT #19 - came back stunning. The other half were shaky F/VF at best. To their credit, they took the books back and are promising a refund. Normally, when I do a deal like that and the grading varies so widely, I tend not to use them again. HOWEVER, the copies that were nice were SOOOOO nice (and well priced) that I would definitely use them again... with the caveat that some books are likely going back.

But yeah, this is a pretty nice copy of a tough book in that WWT run.

Shep

You're getting some good prices on some good books, in my mind. I paid $80.00 for my CGC 8.5 copy of SSWS #154, which I was quite happy with. Truth be told, I'd love to buy a 9.2 for $175 as well. $200 for #151 in 9.2 sounds very fair. Good job! thumbsup2.gif

Andy

$80 for an 8.5 (especially if the pages are white) is a very good price on that book.

For the record, I got the SSWS #151 for $160 Canadian (about $150USD) and it looks to be 9.2 with very white pages. That was below my target price on that book, so I'm pretty happy about it.

Shep

I guess it all depends what $$$ dollars mean for HG. For the record and because I would only sell if I found a nicer raw copy - doubtful. I paid $175 US for my CGC 9.2 SSWS 154. The fact that Tim Hui's 9.4 copy sold for over $500 recently made me feel pretty good about my purchase.

So how much did the 8.5 set you back? I also paid $200 for my 9.2 SSWS #151.

Just trying to judge the market in HG for these books right now.

Jbud,

I've noticed an interesting trend.

For BA DC war keys (SSWS #151, #154, WWT #1, OFF #123), I've noticed prices are running close to guide for 9.0 and 9.2 books. But for non-keys in nice grade (ie, the 48 and 52 page issues) they are going for above guide, especially CGC 9.2 - 9.4 books. So maybe nows a good time to nail up the keys.

Shep

Here's a pic of the Sgt. Rock Special #3....hope it works

Sgt.jpg

Next is a picture of DC Special Series #22 (can anyone tell me if this is the book mentioned in Chris Pedrin's Big Five-listed under G.I.Combat as NN (no number) Special Issue and comes between #'s 221 and 222?)

DCSpecialSeries22fc.jpg

Got those from Superworld at Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon. 893applaud-thumb.gif

y'know, I picked up a raw 151 in 8.5 (easy) for 35 bucks. It's a beautiful copy, and i was incredibly happy to find one much less in that condition and for that price.

y'know, I picked up a raw 151 in 8.5 (easy) for 35 bucks. It's a beautiful copy, and i was incredibly happy to find one much less in that condition and for that price.
\

That's an amazing price on that book!

Shep

thanks Shep, I posted a scan of it a month or so ago in this thread. i also, picked up a 7.0 ish copy of 154 for 20 bucks. It would've graded higher except for a crease that runs across about a third of the FC foreheadslap.gif but i was still quite pleased as you can imagine

here's a re-post of the image...perhaps my 8.5 was a little high..what do you think?

SPWS.jpg

Edited by Karma23

Well what I have noticed in looking for about a year for a Raw copy for my collection is that the 154 is about twice as tough as the 151. This is reflected in the CGC census as well, for the time being. Though I think we may see some coming to market soon.

The only reason I bought my copies slabbed was because they were the best available copies on the show floor, raw or slabbed, that I had seen at the previous 3 shows I've attended.

Rgs,

Jason

I'd call it a rock solid 8.0, on the basis of the crease in the lower right corner - the grading hawks on the 'please grade my...' thread might be harsher.

Here's my undercopy, which is somewhere in the 6.5 to 7.0 range. Clean and desirable copy though. If anyone is interested, it is on the market.

ssws151.jpg

Well what I have noticed in looking for about a year for a Raw copy for my collection is that the 154 is about twice as tough as the 151. This is reflected in the CGC census as well, for the time being. Though I think we may see some coming to market soon.

The only reason I bought my copies slabbed was because they were the best available copies on the show floor, raw or slabbed, that I had seen at the previous 3 shows I've attended.

Rgs,

Jason

This brings back the whole 'which BA war books are hardest in grade' question. Here are a handful of very tough books...

SSWS #146, #150, #152 and #154

Weird War #3, #6, #8 and #21

G.I. Combat #140, #141, #142, #144, #145

Our Army at War #206, #216, #217, #222, #230, #237, #250, #252, #256

Our Fighting Forces #124, #126, #127, #129, #136

Don't know why.... but these just seem tougher than the rest.

Shep

From Lonestar comics - nice book, and one I looked for for a long time in grade.

wwt19a.jpg

That 12 and 19 are sweeeet! The reds on that 19 just bleed off the cover.

I remember seeing that and almost pulled the trigger. frustrated.gif

John,

Nice stuff. GIC #138 is just a killer issue... aside from being the first appearance of the Losers, it is the ONLY Losers story drawn by Russ Heath!

The SSWS #152 is a beauty... I still need an upgrade on that issue. It's a tough one in grade. I need and upgrade on that and #156 to complete my Unknown Soldier run.

Sweet books - more Superworld?

Shep

Yep, the last of the Superworld books. I noticed the Heath story right off the bat, Shep. A great story and an overall great issue. I think a solid 9.2 that needs a little "massage" on the upper edge.

The 80 pager looks a ton better in hand. The scan shows the staple stress, but one of the stress lines is a cat hair. The binding on it is perfect. Bought it as a 9.2 but it's probably only in the 9.0 range.

I was really happy with all the SSWS issues. On first glance, I haven't looked at 'em too closely, they appear to be solid 9.4's.

I'll post a few more sometime today.