• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,136 posts in this topic

Yep, the last of the Superworld books. I noticed the Heath story right off the bat, Shep. A great story and an overall great issue. I think a solid 9.2 that needs a little "massage" on the upper edge.

The 80 pager looks a ton better in hand. The scan shows the staple stress, but one of the stress lines is a cat hair. The binding on it is perfect. Bought it as a 9.2 but it's probably only in the 9.0 range.

I was really happy with all the SSWS issues. On first glance, I haven't looked at 'em too closely, they appear to be solid 9.4's.

I'll post a few more sometime today.

John,

Between the two of us, we're putting Ted's kids through college! I think I've bought 20 books out of that collection in the past two months.

The OAAW Giant is a great issue to have, and the black cover makes it really hard to find in grades above VF - so be happy with a 9.0! A couple of years back, there was a dealer in San Diego selling NOTHING BUT DC GIANTS!! He had, literally, hundreds of them - maybe thousands. I bought three really nice onces from him, all VF/NM. He had every Giant, in a range of grades! Anybody else meet that guy at that con? It was in 2003, and he in the back of the hall. I've since lost his card.

Yeah, let's see the rest!

Shep

I've been really impressed with Ted's grading on this last batch of books he aquired. And they have some of the whitest pages I've seen in awhile. Didn't you buy one of these recently, Shep:

GIC145.jpg

On of the problems I have with Ted and other BSD's -- no scans to check centering.

One of the good things about Ted is that if you ask him to check the centering, he actually do it!! He's such a great guy to deal with! thumbsup2.gif

Also, one of my least favorite covers here:

Yup, that one just screams "Pedophile." It is also the only Kubert Rock original cover art that I always see for sale. Continually re-listed on ebay (valnsteve, I think), due to creepiness and the steep asking price no doubt.

Hey John,

The OAAW #215 and #223 are both great looking books, and they are very, very hard to get in grade. Personally, I've always liked the cover to #215... it smacks of what I call 'Bronze Age DC Weirdness' - there are a whole bunch of oddball covers from the DC during this period.

Both issues have great art jobs by Russ Heath, who just starts hitting his stride around this time on the Sgt. Rock character. I interviewed Russ a few years back, and he said that for the first dozen or so Rock stories he drew, he just tried to emulate Kubert. Once he had been given the lead on the book on a permanent basis, he made the character his own.

Nice copies. Anyone have any background on where Ted got this collection? I meant to ask him at the Toronto Con, but we got caught up in chitchat.

Talk to you guys soon,

Shep

Hey John,

Chris Pedrin published a 'Guide to the Big Five' back in 1994, and it's a very good reference book to have. It was originally published for something like $10 or $15. Motor City Comics in Detroir apparently bought the unsold remainders, so I'd start there. The most useful thing about the book are issue-by-issue credits for all of the Big Five DC war titles, info that was mostly gleaned from Julius Schwartz' payment information. There are also articles by Bob Kanigher, Bob Haney, Ric Estrada, and some fans. It's a useful reference.

They also pop on ebay. Let me know if you have a hard time finding one... I may have a beater copy lying around.

As an aside, I have an on-again-off-again book project covering DC's war books from 1968-1988, the era where Kubert dominated as editor. It involved issue-by-issue critiques, credit info, checklists, images of all the covers, and a long opening essay about the place of these comics in comic history, which was informed by interviews I conducted with Joe Kubert, Bob Kanigher, and Russ Heath. I finished a number of the chapters and checklists, but work-wife-kids has kept it on the shelf for the past two years. Hopefully I'll finish it one day. I have no idea what kind of market there would be for a book like that... probably just the 50 guys who read this list!!

Shep

Here's a pic of the Sgt. Rock Special #3....hope it works

Sgt.jpg

Next is a picture of DC Special Series #22 (can anyone tell me if this is the book mentioned in Chris Pedrin's Big Five-listed under G.I.Combat as NN (no number) Special Issue and comes between #'s 221 and 222?)

DCSpecialSeries22fc.jpg

Got those from Superworld at Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Just wondering, now that we're on the topic of Chris Pedrin's Big Five, is this G.I. Combat (DC Special Series #22) pictured here the same one that's listed under G.I.Combat as NN (no number) Special Issue and comes between #'s 221 and 222? Didn't get an answer last time I asked... 893naughty-thumb.gif

This book, Chris Pedrin's Big Five, is great! I would highly recommend it to anyone who has a keen interest in DC War comics. There's one on Ebay right now (signed), listed from David T. Alexander, for $99.00!! Yikes! Unsigned, with patience, you should find one for $5-$20. I take my copy wherever I go, update the prices with the Overstreet, and use it as a checklist. It's a small book, packed with a lot of information. Good luck on your searches, fellow Big Fivers!

Shep, you let me know when that book of yours is done as well. I'll certainly take a copy. flowerred.gif

Andy

I woulda answered, but I'm too new to war to be in the know. Shep must be holding out so we have to buy the book poke2.gif. By the way, I'll buy it also Shep...do I smell a best-seller? If you need any help with it, I have some writing experience...

Hey fellas,

Yup, that GI Combat is the nn listed by Pedrin.

As for my book, it'll get done someday, more as a labor of love than as a way to retire. If I can, I'll jpeg a few pages and post them sometime.

Good news!!!

Here's a quote from http://www.collectedcomicslibrary.com/books.html about upcoming DC Archive Edtions....

''The following have been unofficially announced, rumored to be in the works, or suggested to be released based on past sales performance of that particular series.

DC Comics

MAD Archives Volume 2

Sam Glanzman's U.S.S. Stevens Archives Volume 1

Superboy Archives Volume 1''

USS STEVENS!!!! That would be amazing.

Shep

I love Glanzman's work, and there is a particular USS Stevens story that was burned into my mind as a kid it was called 'The Sky Is Bright The Sea Is Calm'. Gave me chills then , gives me chills now

Good news!!!

Here's a quote from http://www.collectedcomicslibrary.com/books.html about upcoming DC Archive Edtions....

''The following have been unofficially announced, rumored to be in the works, or suggested to be released based on past sales performance of that particular series.

DC Comics

MAD Archives Volume 2

Sam Glanzman's U.S.S. Stevens Archives Volume 1

Superboy Archives Volume 1''

USS STEVENS!!!! That would be amazing.

Shep

That is great news!

Those are excellent stories -- moreso because they are based real events in the life Sam and his shipmates. I can't think of any other parallel among the major companies up to that time that allowed their creator to do autobiographical stories. Perhaps Sheldon Mayer with Scribbly but I'm not sure what else there would be.

I saw that on the Yahoo Big Five group too--I'm a bit skeptical. Considering the DC execs were kind of bagging on the notion of having a Haunted Tank archive. There's obviously little chance of a second Enemy Ace volume either.

Having said that, I've said for a long time on the Yahoo list that USS Stevens would be my absolute top choice for an archive among the whole DC back library. It really deserves the treatment and the exposure.

Btw, this is a good week in war comics for me. I have nice batches of war comics (mostly SA but some bronze) coming my way from two forum members and we just sold our Our Army at War #1 this week too. I love these things!

Marc

From Kevin Boyd's post in the Modern forum:

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER VOL. 1 TP

Writers: Joe Kubert, Bob Haney, Robert Kanigher, Frank Robbins, Archie Goodwin and David Michelinie

Artists: Joe Kubert, Irv Novick, Doug Wildey, Dan Spiegle and Jack Sparling

Collects stories from STAR SPANGLED WAR STORIES #151-204

$16.99, 560 pages

Supposedly in December. Very cool.