• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,136 posts in this topic

Creature Commandos... for the completist only.

Tis true...It marked the end of the series imho. The last 20 or so issues are just awful, in terms of story content and the Buckler covers (an occasional glimmer of light every so often).

Interestingly, the best two issues in the late run were the last two issues. DC got back to the anthology format, and there is a great Kubert cover on #123. But, sadly, the writing was on the wall, with only about 50,000 copies (or something like that) selling per month (much less than half the print run.) Which was dismal for its day.

Weird War was such a hot and cold title, but because I grew up with, so many issues are like old friends to me. The first ones I bought off the shelf were the 35 centers, but I well remember buying a copy of #7 at my elementary school flea market, and being completely knocked out by the cover (Kubert again.) It was a really inconsistent book, but there were some remarkable highs... pretty much everything Alcala did on the title was sensational.

I've got 'em all, but I still hope that DC presents these as a Showcase edition. I think it would do really well in today's market, and it would be nice to read them in the bathtub!

Shep

Come to think about it--you're right. One issue would be a great full issue novel and the next would have mediocre stories and art. Sometimes I would make fun of the fact that many new artists were given the title to get their feet wet--boot camp for new artists come to WWT.

I hope DC comes out with Showcase Editions of all of my favorites. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

war.jpg

I still have a copy of this book, that I have read down to a VG-.... while more of DC guy, I remember reading this as a kid, and being totally blown away.

The cool thing about 'War is Hell' is that the battles were in out of the way places. This issue is fought during the Russo-Finnish war of 1940. Excellent issue. Pretty good art too!

Shep

Those are fantastic digests, Weird. acclaim.gif I'm still looking for some of those, they can be difficult to find, it seems, in any grade.

I've got an update on my search for a complete set of the big 5 (including Sgt. Rock and Unknown Soldier). Please, first understand, this is damn tuff!!!! SOOOOO DIFFICULT IN ANY GRADE!!!! I must admit, for guys like Shep, that are putting nice high grade collections, and getting close to completion (relatively), that is a truly AMAZING feat. hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Keep up the good work fellas (ahem...and gals?).

As of today, I'm missing:

All American Men of War-35 issues 893applaud-thumb.gif

G.I. Combat-26 issues 893applaud-thumb.gif

Our Army At War-76 issues confused-smiley-013.gif

Sgt. Rock-15 issues tonofbricks.gif

Our Fighting Forces-31 issues 893applaud-thumb.gif

Star Spangled War Stories-57 issues confused-smiley-013.gif

Unknown Soldier-7 issues tonofbricks.gif

That's a grand total of 247 books. Eeeeek! Getting closer, but sooooo slow.

I'm having trouble with a lot of the earlier issues as I just don't see them....ever. I know that I could get some of these pretty quickly, but then money comes into play. Hahaha! Damn! 893censored-thumb.gif

Lastly, just a question from a CGC forum newbie:

Some of you have a little yellow rectangular box at the bottom of your posts, stating something about CGC registry best or something like that. Is that something where you tell CGC that you have these books and they keep track and compare your collection with others? (I hope you can understand my question) foreheadslap.gif

Thanks for listening.

Andy

Andy,

You're way closer than me... I'm something like 375 books away (maybe a little closer as I haven't filed in some recent purchases). It's a monumental task, and when I started over the summer to go for the whole magilla, I realized it would take at least five years. It may take longer. We'll see.

And by no means are all my books high grade. Short of getting all the Salidas in one place, there are probably no high grade complete collections in existence. In fact, it may be an impossible task. Many of my early issues are VGs, and I was very happy to find them in THAT shape. A nice tight FN of any book prior to 1960? That's a gift.

But even getting the BA books in High Grade was really hard. And I'm not surprised that you haven't completed the Sgt. Rock and Unknown Soldier runs... they can be really, really hard to get in nice shape.

But that's the thrill. I've been inspired by other collections I have seen on these boards (tth's and adamstrange's silver books, Greggy's DC bronze collection, Sterling's horror collection, Johnnock's wonderful HG war books) to work get the books I want in the best possible shape that reality and finances allow! It's great to see all those wonderful books.

Anyway, nice books. The BA war list has been a little quiet of late. Anyone pick up anything cool lately??? Alternatively, has anyone actually opened up some and read them lately?

Let's hear 'em!

Shep

I don't believe that I had posted these in here before, but these are the last two war books that I picked up...just to get the ball rolling again thumbsup2.gif

G.jpg

G-1.jpg

I suppose the 122 is actually Silver but what the hey let's see some books! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Anyway, nice books. The BA war list has been a little quiet of late. Anyone pick up anything cool lately??? Alternatively, has anyone actually opened up some and read them lately?

Funny you should ask...I think I might have a few on the way. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif