• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,137 posts in this topic

It was almost certainly Joe Kubert who created the Unknown Soldier. It has not been confirmed in any of the literature that I have seen, but there's good circumstantial evidence that it was him. To wit...

After the failure of Enemy Ace in Star Spangled War Stories (#138-150) Kanigher was backing off his day to day duties with the war books (though he continued to write Sgt. Rock and Haunted Tank Stories, and created the Losers). Kubert had by this time take over all the editorial duties on the war books, and was making changes... introducing the USS Stevens by Glanzman, revitalizing the back up stories, creating Weird War Tales, etc. Seems the Unknown Soldier fits in nicely with this very creative period for Kubert.

If it wasn't Kubert, it was likely Bob Kanigher. However, Kanigher often signed 'Created and Written by Bob Kanigher' on the Sgt. Rock, Losers and Haunted Tank stories he wrote . That byline never appeared on any Unknown Soldier tales (if memory serves).

Also, Kanigher mostly liked to write the stories of characters he created. But the Unknown Soldier stories were primarily written by others... Archie Goodwin, David Michelinie and Bob Haney.

So, until we hear otherwise, I'd say the smart money is on Joe Kubert.

Shep

After reading Kanigher's article in the Pedrin guide, I think he would have taken credit for anything and everything that he had ever done for the war books. Is it just me, or does he seem rather boastful of his accomplishments?

After reading Kanigher's article in the Pedrin guide, I think he would have taken credit for anything and everything that he had ever done for the war books. Is it just me, or does he seem rather boastful of his accomplishments?

I obviously love Kanigher's output. The man was a genius. An absolute legend.

The same can be said of Joe Kubert.

The difference between the two, in my opinion, is that Kanigher was very interested in letting everyone know that he was the greatest, and Kubert is much humbler. I interviewed Kubert over the phone once... for about an hour and a half... and I found him warm, very quick to give credit to other creators, and reticent to criticize anyone, even when he had cause. Just a wonderful man.

I had a short mail correspondence with Kanigher, and found him scolding and very full of himself. Even in the letter columns, you can sort of tell a Kubert message from a Kanigher one.

All that said, man... Kanigher gave us some truly artful stuff.

Shep

Pedrin guide? confused.gif What's that?

The Pedrin Guide is a guide to the DC Big Five War comics (Our Army at War, Our Fighting Forces, G.I. Combat, Star Spangled War Stories and All American Men of War) that was compiled by collector Chris Pedrin, with articles by some other prominent war comic collectors. While not perfect, it's a really useful guide in that it lists writer and artist credits for every issue of those five titles (and their offspring, Sgt. Rock and Unknown Soldier). It's getting tough to find now, but they do pop up.

My understanding is that most of the information from the early years, particularly the writing credits which would otherwise be impossible to find, came from Julie Schwartz' payment receipt records. So it's solid.

If you ever want to know which early war stories were written by Bill Finger, or which tale Curt Swan or Bob Brown drew - it's your book. I highly recommend it. If you get pooched finding one, I can probably help you out.

Shep

(thumbs up

Very good information, Shep. Thanks!

So, were you writing articles that necessitated the interviews, or was that fanboy interaction?

I was interviewing Kubert and Kanigher in relation to my probably-never-going-to-be finished compendium on DC's Bronze Age war comics. Talking with Joe Kubert was easily the highlight of my comic-collecting career... I've scored some wonderful books over the years, but nothing that even comes close to talking with that man. Just a great, great guy.

Shep

The Pedrin Guide is a guide to the DC Big Five War comics (Our Army at War, Our Fighting Forces, G.I. Combat, Star Spangled War Stories and All American Men of War) that was compiled by collector Chris Pedrin, with articles by some other prominent war comic collectors. While not perfect, it's a really useful guide in that it lists writer and artist credits for every issue of those five titles (and their offspring, Sgt. Rock and Unknown Soldier). It's getting tough to find now, but they do pop up.

And they can be quite expensive too when they "pop." Am I ever glad I got mine from Bud Plant several years ago. Great book!

(thumbs up

Very good information, Shep. Thanks!

So, were you writing articles that necessitated the interviews, or was that fanboy interaction?

I was interviewing Kubert and Kanigher in relation to my probably-never-going-to-be finished compendium on DC's Bronze Age war comics. Talking with Joe Kubert was easily the highlight of my comic-collecting career... I've scored some wonderful books over the years, but nothing that even comes close to talking with that man. Just a great, great guy.

Shep

It's funny you mentioned that. I was thinking about doing a similar project on DC Bronze Age horror stuff...somebody's already done EC...why not?