• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,136 posts in this topic

Interestingly, the best two issues in the late run were the last two issues. DC got back to the anthology format, and there is a great Kubert cover on #123.

When I was on the GCD site gathering credit information for my Weird War Tales registry set I noticed that a few of the stories (and even the cover for WWT #123, shown below) was meant for the then cancelled series Mystery in Space #118. Many of these titles could share similar stories, it appeared: war, space/sci fi stories, horror....

So, although I agree the return to the anthology format was a good idea, we were being fed leftover scraps from another project. frown.gif What is shocking is that apparently the scraps were better than the prime time material, which is then no mystery why demise was imminent.

1478521-wwt123.JPG

1478521-wwt123.JPG.ade91f902a5c4a519a925753f555cbcb.JPG

Interestingly, the best two issues in the late run were the last two issues. DC got back to the anthology format, and there is a great Kubert cover on #123.

When I was on the GCD site gathering credit information for my Weird War Tales registry set I noticed that a few of the stories (and even the cover for WWT #123, shown below) was meant for the then cancelled series Mystery in Space #118. Many of these titles could share similar stories, it appeared: war, space/sci fi stories, horror....

So, although I agree the return to the anthology format was a good idea, we were being fed leftover scraps from another project. frown.gif

1478521-wwt123.JPG

Gorilla's in space suits cloud9.gif

So, although I agree the return to the anthology format was a good idea, we were being fed leftover scraps from another project. frown.gif What is shocking is that apparently the scraps were better than the prime time material, which is then no mystery why demise was imminent.

1478521-wwt123.JPG

No question, that #124 in particular was moslty stuff from the cancelled Mystery in Space. #124, however, had war material in it.

One thing that's interesting is that when Joe Orlando was the Weird War Editor (Roughly from issue #9 up to about #40, give or take) he had a LOT of extra stories drawn and commissioned. Many sat in the drawer - either not up to snuff, or no room in the book. When Orlando left, these castoffs started making their way into the books.... part of the reason the book took such a downward turn in the 1977-78 period (with a few exceptions). The issues between #70 and #90, however, featured largely new material, and were much better.

Then came the Creature Commandos and the sci-fi. Heavy Sigh.

Shep

I love the concept of the Commandos, however, the execution of the stories did leav a lot to be desired.

I agree. The corny covers didn't help either. And in their last story in the last issue, where they are being rocketed off into space? WTF!

Pedrin guide? confused.gif What's that?

The Pedrin Guide is a guide to the DC Big Five War comics (Our Army at War, Our Fighting Forces, G.I. Combat, Star Spangled War Stories and All American Men of War) that was compiled by collector Chris Pedrin, with articles by some other prominent war comic collectors. While not perfect, it's a really useful guide in that it lists writer and artist credits for every issue of those five titles (and their offspring, Sgt. Rock and Unknown Soldier). It's getting tough to find now, but they do pop up.

My understanding is that most of the information from the early years, particularly the writing credits which would otherwise be impossible to find, came from Julie Schwartz' payment receipt records. So it's solid.

If you ever want to know which early war stories were written by Bill Finger, or which tale Curt Swan or Bob Brown drew - it's your book. I highly recommend it. If you get pooched finding one, I can probably help you out.

Shep

Here's one on eBay right now. http://cgi.ebay.com/Big-five-DC-war-comi...1QQcmdZViewItem

Expensive with a capital E but you may be able to get it for a reasonable price with the "Make best offer" option.

Good luck! thumbsup2.gif

Andy

Here's one on eBay right now. http://cgi.ebay.com/Big-five-DC-war-comi...1QQcmdZViewItem

Expensive with a capital E but you may be able to get it for a reasonable price with the "Make best offer" option.

Good luck! thumbsup2.gif

Andy

And here's one that shows how silly prices can get. It's a good book, but it aint that good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHRIS-PEDRINS-BIG-FI...9QQcmdZViewItem

So I get back from my business trip, and look what's waiting for me in my mail box. cloud9.gif

Got this from Bob Storms... has to be about the nicest 9.0 I've ever seen. Light ding at the bottom spine, but that is it. God bless the old label!!

If anyone gets a line on a nice SSWS #149, please let me know. If I could get one that looked like this, I'd be very happy.

Shep

ssws141a.jpg

ssws141b.jpg

So I get back from my business trip, and look what's waiting for me in my mail box. cloud9.gif

Got this from Bob Storms... has to be about the nicest 9.0 I've ever seen. Light ding at the bottom spine, but that is it. God bless the old label!!

If anyone gets a line on a nice SSWS #149, please let me know. If I could get one that looked like this, I'd be very happy.

Shep

ssws141a.jpg

ssws141b.jpg

Beauty Shep!

hail.gif

Andy