• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,136 posts in this topic

Here's one I just picked up from superworld(got a couple more but unfortunately they are going back -- misgraded a tad). Sad because one of them was the OAAW 237 (plasma cover). ANyway:

OAAW218.jpg

One of my favorite OAAW books of all time - the Heath art on the Rock story is one of the best in the run. SO SWEET!!!! And best of all, this issue features the very first USS Steven story by Sam Glanzman.

In my opinion one of the five hardest Bronze Age DC war books to find in grade. Looks like a pretty nice copy John!!

Sorry to hear that the others came back overgraded. I love Ted at Superworld... and I've gotten some lovely books off of him, but the grading can get a little soft at times. That said, he's great about returns and he's always helpful. He does EVERY convention... if he's ever appearing near you, ask him to bring his full war inventory and he'll cut you some sweet-*spoon* deals. I got a raw 9.2 Star Spangled War #151 from him at a show that he gave me at 8.0 guide price. He's great. And he does have the books!

I always love seeing that cover on #218. Nice.

Shep

Alright, here's GI Combat #179. A fave cover of mine that I remember seeing as a youngster. Bought it. Read it. Loved it!

GIC179fc.jpg

Andy

Love that one Andy. I bought my copy at Super-X Drug Store way back when and read it ti pieces...still haven't replaced it foreheadslap.gif

Just picked up my new Showcase Unknown Soldier today. Excited, I am....all those great stories bound in one cheap black and white telephone book.

YUMMY!

Andy hi.gif

thumbsup2.gif Ordered mine and it is on the way. BTW, I was reading a couple issues of SSWS last night and noticed in #202 that Keno Don Rosa makes an appearance as an Italian doctor in the story. He's always tossing back the vino, I am guessing that was the inside joke.

Also, in case anyone is interested in a mini-report, I made Friday at The National while on some business in NYC and couldn't help but notice the dearth of HG Bronze DC war. I mean I bought a couple nothing issues here and there as mid-grade fillers, but I did not see any slabbed SSWS or even raw HG issues that I need for my Unknown Soldier registry set or to complete my Weird War Tales raw run. One dealer told me he was holding on to most of his DC war for the time being or something like that.

Metro had a CGC 9.0 WWT #1. They had it at way over GPA (first time I got to use GPA mobile on my Q at a con). I did manage to buy a set of Rosa Four Star Battle Tales (which was missing the #5 for some reason - anyone have it?), an Eerie 79 (love that cover) and ran into some Forumite dealers/sellers, so all was not lost.

I had never been to the National before and fail to see what makes it different than the other Big Apple Cons (I have been to three or four of the "regular" ones). confused-smiley-013.gif

Weird,

Not just Don Rosa, but in one of the Michelinie Unknown Soldier tales, a young German soldier is named 'Rico Strada'... gotta be a Ric Estrada reference.

You're right about the dearth of HG DC war books right now. There are some 9.4 slabbed books out there, mostly overpriced, but good pickings of HG raw war books? FORGET IT!

The last really nice raw DC war collection I have seen was at least 4 years ago (ie, lots of books accross all titles, in 9.0 or better.) There are a lot of crappy books out there, for sure, but certain issues remain elusive in grade. Sigh.

Gotta get me that Unknown Soldier book... I love those issues, particularly the one's edited by Archie Goodwin with Frank Sparling's art. And all the Michelinie/Talaoc issues are pretty darn fine too.

Shep

I've noticed that I've got scans that are different sizes, resolutions, from different scanners, etc. So I'm taking the time to scan my BA DC war collection. A pain, but ultimately a worthwhile thing to do. Nice to have a digital archive at my fingertips.... I take my laptop to shops and cons, so I can easily check the visual condition of a book versus a potential upgrade copy.

Anyway, I've started with my Our Army at War books. Here are few selections from the recent scan-fest.

oaaw190n.jpg

oaaw191n.jpg

oaaw193n.jpg

oaaw194n.jpg

oaaw199n.jpg

You're right about the dearth of HG DC war books right now. There are some 9.4 slabbed books out there, mostly overpriced, but good pickings of HG raw war books? FORGET IT!

The last really nice raw DC war collection I have seen was at least 4 years ago (ie, lots of books accross all titles, in 9.0 or better.) There are a lot of crappy books out there, for sure, but certain issues remain elusive in grade. Sigh.

Shep

I'm still working on Stuart...

John,

Got that 80 pager in San Diego four years ago. Dude had EVERY SINGLE 80-page giant (but no 64-pagers, 100 pagers or 48/52 pagers) at his booth. It's all he had. And he had them divided up into 'low grade, mid grade and high grade'. Very strange. I bought this off him for $20 and laughed all the way. Bought a few others too... the colours are stupid!

I like the 199 too... very odd palette to that one. It's an broken-from-the-slab 9.0, and the pages are white as snow. Great issue!

Pick up anything cool this week?

Shep

Shep

I'm still working on Stuart...

Me too. thumbsup2.gif

oaaw190n.jpg

Good god, that's purdy. Blows my mind (and makes me very, very jealous)

Thanks! In truth, I have discovered that this is the easiest of the DC war 80 page giants to find in nice shape... keep your eyes peeled for one, and one will turn up every few months.

My scan-fest continues this weekend. As it does, I'll post a few more books of interest.

Shep

A few more OAAWs as I continue the scanfest. I find these 15-centers are really tough to find in grade.

oaaw201n.jpg

One of the great OAAW covers of all time:

oaaw202n.jpg

oaaw203n.jpg

oaaw205n.jpg

One of Russ Heath's best art jobs in here, and in many ways, the issue which kicks off Heath's great run on Sgt. Rock.

oaaw208n.jpg

A few more OAAWs as I continue the scanfest. I find these 15-centers are really tough to find in grade.

oaaw201n.jpg

One of the great OAAW covers of all time:

oaaw202n.jpg

oaaw203n.jpg

oaaw205n.jpg

One of Russ Heath's best art jobs in here, and in many ways, the issue which kicks off Heath's great run on Sgt. Rock.

oaaw208n.jpg

with covers like this i wonder why you don'r hear as much talk about Kubert as Adams, Smith or Sterenko?

I think it's safe to say that Kubert drew more covers for silver/bronze DC than anyone else.

That may have something to do with why he is not collected as hard as, say, Neal Adams. Kubert's covers were everywhere for some 30 years!! There was never a shortage of them. And indeed, many were spectacular.

Here's a few more. I don't mean to be hijacking the thread, but some of these I haven't seen posted in a while.

oaaw209n.jpg

oaaw210n.jpg

oaaw213n.jpg

oaaw214n.jpg

oaaw219n.jpg

oaaw220n.jpg