• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,136 posts in this topic

OK guys...when are we gonna talk about the insane price for SSWS 138? To be fair I put in a high bid thinking it would land around 350...boy was I wrong and glad I didn't win it at the hammer price.

Insanity...someone find me a 9.0 non-ped, please!!!!

Yeah, I was watching that one and saw the outcome...unbelievable!! Well, don't spend all your money on that one book, another will come around the corner soon....don't you worry.

As for your G.I. Combat's from the Manitoba collection, very sweet! Good pick ups, my friend!

Andy

OK guys...when are we gonna talk about the insane price for SSWS 138? To be fair I put in a high bid thinking it would land around 350...boy was I wrong and glad I didn't win it at the hammer price.

Insanity...someone find me a 9.0 non-ped, please!!!!

John,

I'll be totally honest with you... I thought that book was going into the $700+ range. It's a vicious book to find in any nice kind of grade, it's a first appearance by character in title, and it's a friggin' monster ped. It's the trifecta of high price potential!!!! It is far more key than either of the Showcase appearances, and as you know, they top out in the $500 range in 9.4 - no surprise this one when into the stratosphere.

Best bet? Knock out one of those three things that drive the book through the roof... don't go looking for a ped. There are not a lot of these out there, but I think you've got a better chance of finding this book in 9.0+ if its raw. I have seen at least one gorgeous raw copy (don't ask - it's NEVER coming out of this guy's collection) - so they are out there. On ebay a few years ago, a guy in England sold a 9.4 OAAW #151, and I wrote him to congratulate him (he was a very nice dude... can't remember his name, though) and he said he had bought the book as a NM- several years ago, way before CGC.

These books are out there raw. They come up very seldomly, and my experience is that you are more likely to find a big juicy key in grade with slabbing potential at a large con.

I know how you feel. Nothing smarts more than dropping a monster bid, only to see it get snarfed by someone else. But another will come up. Besides... it's a 9.2, and we both know you're a 9.4 man!

Shep

Thanks for the condolensces guys. Tough black cover and a ped to boot...you're right, maybe it should've reached the stratosphere. However, I didn't come away empty-handed...OOAW 155 cream to off-white but still dreamy cloud9.gif We'll call it a placeholder until better PQ arrives one day 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

And yeah, I'm a 9.4 guy, but the pockets aren't bottomless makepoint.gif. My gf would kill me if she really knew what I spent on funny books 893whatthe.gif.

And one more thing...you war guys are the best the boards have to offer. From posting killer books, to giving a brotha a heads up on auctions they might have missed, to supplying me with a Pedrin...you guys are the greatest.

Cheers and Happy Holidays-John

And one more thing...you war guys are the best the boards have to offer. From posting killer books, to giving a brotha a heads up on auctions they might have missed, to supplying me with a Pedrin...you guys are the greatest.

Cheers and Happy Holidays-John

Awwww...it's guys like you, John, who make me blush.... shy.gif

Thanks for the kind words, and I feel the same way.

Kind of funny when you think about it, though. The guys who read the "tough as nails" war books, are the sweetest guys around. flowerred.gif

27_laughing.gif

Andy

Hey all,

Coupla nice OAAWs from the recent Clink auction that are coming my way. I'm starting to focus on certified 9.4 books now, and these are some of the first to come my way.

Perhaps my favorite Sgt. Rock story (Easy's First Tiger) in this one:

RAD14BC12006119_143456.jpg

And another nice 48 pager from this era. Great Heath art inside:

RAD1F4112006119_14351.jpg

Love the 236 Shep. I looked but decided to pass for now. You know what I got instead... yay.gif

Yup! I notice your wantlist line at the bottom of your posts is getting shorter and shorter.

Nice one. Post it when it comes in!

Shep

I actually know who this guy is and after chatting to him at 1 of the marts. When i saw his name as 1 of the bidders i was surprised because he actually said he was getting ready to sell his collection. I also knew it was time to step aside and not get into a bidding war with him. I once went round his house to see his collection which was incredible. Tons of high grade books covering Horror, War, Western plus the usual Superhero books. I managed to pursuade him to part with 1 of his books after hours of negotiating a DC 100 page Super Spectacular #4 which i think would grade either a 9.4 or 9.6 if sent to CGC.

I actually know who this guy is and after chatting to him at 1 of the marts. When i saw his name as 1 of the bidders i was surprised because he actually said he was getting ready to sell his collection. I also knew it was time to step aside and not get into a bidding war with him. I once went round his house to see his collection which was incredible. Tons of high grade books covering Horror, War, Western plus the usual Superhero books. I managed to pursuade him to part with 1 of his books after hours of negotiating a DC 100 page Super Spectacular #4 which i think would grade either a 9.4 or 9.6 if sent to CGC.

Well, tell him when he wants to unleash the torrent, give the heads up on these boards!

Shep