• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,136 posts in this topic

What's the deal with this one issue wonder that arrived in 1978?

BA5GH001.jpg

Was this book part of the DC implosion...I know that G.I War was a reprint series...All Out War lasted 4 issues (that Viking character was a hoot). any other short lived DC war series? Was the early 80s the "gasp" of the war genre? (If I recall, western was going through the same pains).

Correct, the cover to #2 is in the Cancelled Comic Cavalcade 2 - which also includes the cover to Battle Classics #3 another short lived war title.

That is something on my list of must haves...Cancelled Comic Cavalcade 2

Andy

It's too bad about Blitzkrieg, if it had been introduced earlier I think it would have had a nice run. What a major curveball, and an interesting twist on the genre to show things from the enemy perspective.

I spoke to Joe Kubert about that title, and he was really excited about it. So was Kanigher, and it appeared that sales were going in the right direction too. However, after Carmine Infantino left, there was a lot of concern about Blitzkrie from the new publisher and it was cancelled. That would probably make it the only DC title to be cancelled for reasons other than sales.

Shep

Those SSWS covers have what I assume to be the Unknown Soldier's true facial features...and they seem to be doing it on a regular basis....Shep, do you know if they just made an effort to make it less "gross" or horror like by putting him in bandages? As you know, the UK's face was scarcely (actually I don't recall a time) seen when he had his own rag.

Those SSWS covers have what I assume to be the Unknown Soldier's true facial features...and they seem to be doing it on a regular basis....Shep, do you know if they just made an effort to make it less "gross" or horror like by putting him in bandages? As you know, the UK's face was scarcely (actually I don't recall a time) seen when he had his own rag.

Sterling, that's an interesting question. I think that the bandages may have added to an air of mystery surrounding the character. But it's interesting that it isn't until Kubert leaves the editorship of the book that Micehelinie takes the bandages off as part of the 'grittier direction of the book.

That would be a great question to ask Joe Kubert.

Shep

very cool....I didn't know that Showcase had one for either one...how 'bout Sgt Rock?

Not yet...don't know if there will be, I certainly hope so, though.

The Unknown Soldier book is fabulous, haven't read the Haunted Tank yet.

Andy

Just picked up these two babies

new_graphic_novel6733.jpg

SPUS01.jpg

Now I just have to wade through a bunch of Sparling & Speigle art. Ugh!!

I've got the HT book, but I still have to pick up the Unknown Soldier.

Actually, I don't mind the Sparling and Speigle art on this character... maybe it's because the writing is so good. Archie Goodwin... he was awesome.

Now... we need the Losers! Sgt. Rock will probably not appear in this format, as DC can sell those tales as the more expensive Archive editions.

Also, I'd love to see a Weird War tales Showcase! That'd be killer.

Shep

I'm quite puzzled that only House of Mystery has been selected for the Showcase series from the horror genre...I was hoping some of the other mystery titles (including WWT) would've been slated for it.

To be honest, they should just reprint everything, if for nothing else, a convenient reading and research library.

Now... we need the Losers! Sgt. Rock will probably not appear in this format, as DC can sell those tales as the more expensive Archive editions.

Shep

Yup, Weird War and Losers should be the next two. Gots to have me some Severin Losers goodness. I love that desert story arc. Can't remember the ish numbers but they were 20 cent covers.

Mmmmm..... the Severin Losers in the North African Desert. One of the great story arcs in bronze DC-dom.

Think that issues #145 to #150 were the ones. They really do deserve a reprint. Probably the best work Severin ever did for DC.

Shep