• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,139 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Been a while since I've been able to drop a decent post. Two weeks ago, I moved from Newfoundland back to Ontario to start new job, and it's been busier'n stink.

Before I left Newfie, I ordered these books from Metro out of the large collection they recently acquired. This pretty much sinks my budget until into the spring, but I am very happy to be giving these a new home. Forgive the scans, as I'm using the machine at work and I haven't learned to balance it out yet.

First up, Our Army at War #206. A 9.2, but white pages and the only visible flaw is a light rub/abrasion on the middle of the spine on the back cover. Otherwise, sweet as sugar.

oaaw206.jpg

Our Army at War #208. Now, this issue is one of those important books that you will never find listed in Overstreet. If you read all of Russ Heath's Sgt. Rock stories, or survey them one after the other, you'll know that was nowhere near the first time he drew the character. But to me, Heath finally gets on his horse with this issue, and delivers his first truly classic art jobs on this character. The Kanigher -script is pretty awesome too. Sorry about the scan... it's just a weird light reflection. Great copy... and a tough black cover to nab in 9.4

oaaw208.jpg

Our Army at War #218. This book is easily my favorite pickup of the past 12 months. It ranks in my opinion as perhaps the toughest Bronze Age DC war book to find in high grade, (along with the super brutal G.I. Combat #141). Aside from the absolutely INCREDIBLE Heath art job on the Rock story, this issue features the first USS Stevens story by Sam Glanzman. So, I finally found a 9.4, and to top it off, it's the Oakland. cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

oaaw218.jpg

Finally, Our Army at War #228. Not a super rare issue or anything, but a nice book to find in grade. I've seen several HG copies of this book, and for some strange reason none of them have ever appeared very glossy... is it possible this particular issue never hit the gloss plate on press? Either way, another solid 9.4

oaaw228-1.jpg

Edited by bigfiver69

Hey guys,

Been a while since I've been able to drop a decent post. Two weeks ago, I moved from Newfoundland back to Ontario to start new job, and it's been busier'n stink.

Before I left Newfie, I ordered these books from Metro out of the large collection they recently acquired. This pretty much sinks my budget until into the spring, but I am very happy to be giving these a new home. Forgive the scans, as I'm using the machine at work and I haven't learned to balance it out yet.

First up, Our Army at War #206. A 9.2, but white pages and the only visible flaw is a light rub/abrasion on the middle of the spine on the back cover. Otherwise, sweet as sugar.

oaaw206.jpg

Excellent pick ups, Shep! Congratulations and keep up the good work! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Andy

Great books Shep.

On a side note to all you war guys...I might be selling off my war stuff in the near future so I can fund a new house and refocus my collection on GA. I have quite a bit of HG war stuff...Anyway, that's out there for you guys to ponder...John

Great books Shep.

On a side note to all you war guys...I might be selling off my war stuff in the near future so I can fund a new house and refocus my collection on GA. I have quite a bit of HG war stuff...Anyway, that's out there for you guys to ponder...John

git to scanning John, let's see whatcha got! yay.gif

sorry you have to sell your books but a new house is certainly worth it thumbsup2.gif

Great books Shep.

Holy swastika Batman! I'll start saving my pennies.

Great books Shep.

Sad and happy news at the same time....I'm all ears popcorn.gif

Andy shy.gif

Our Army at War #218. This book is easily my favorite pickup of the past 12 months. It ranks in my opinion as perhaps the toughest Bronze Age DC war book to find in high grade, (along with the super brutal G.I. Combat #141). Aside from the absolutely INCREDIBLE Heath art job on the Rock story, this issue features the first USS Stevens story by Sam Glanzman. So, I finally found a 9.4, and to top it off, it's the Oakland. cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

oaaw218.jpg

Great pickups - congrats!! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

I realize these are reprints but I still like the covers, and they're in decent shape.

scan0035.jpg

scan0037.jpg

Reprints or no, those are sweet copies and harder to find in grade than many people realize, especially the G.I. War.

Nice!

Shep

I was wondering if anyone knew which issue the 8-page Haunted Tank story "Battle of the Brave Banners" is in (GI COMBAT?). The story is by Kanigher, art by Ayers & Glanzman. It tells the origin of the Confederate flag on the haunted tank. Thanks! -- Steve

I was wondering if anyone knew which issue the 8-page Haunted Tank story "Battle of the Brave Banners" is in (GI COMBAT?). The story is by Kanigher, art by Ayers & Glanzman. It tells the origin of the Confederate flag on the haunted tank. Thanks! -- Steve

Sure, that's G.I. Combat #230, came out in June 1981.

Hope that helps... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Andy

Here's a nice G. I. Combat #138 that I got from Greggy. It's sporting the first appearance of the Losers. He called it a 7.5, looks better, but it does have a bit of creasing on the cover. confused-smiley-013.gif

GIC138fc.jpg

Andy