• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,137 posts in this topic

I'll post a few for sure. It's true that Redondo was no Kubert or Heath, but I still really loved his art. It got a little sloppy towards the end, but it was certainly better than a lot of the dreck DC was putting out in the early 80s. And you always got a killer Kubert cover for your money with those books.

I got the lot mainly because there are few upgrades that I need that I just never seem to be able to find in one place. These books look like store stock... I opened up a couple of the 9.6+ ones, and they went 'pop' when I opened them - I doubt that many of them have even been opened. So this lot should pretty much upgrade my Sgt. Rock collection to 9.4 or better across the board. You'd think that would have been easy - but it has taken me 7 years! Crazy.

Hey Guys, I know for myself DC war books were always around when I was a kid. Back in the day when you could run around and play with toy rifles and pistols and not be breaking the law. My green plastic army men were my favoite toys. I also loved different war movies and TV shows. Did anyone else get into these two programs when they were growing up? Combat is my all time favorite! If you havn't checked it out your missing a Awesome series! To put the comic spin on it, I think Dell put out a comic book (magazine) on both of these series? I do not own any. Does anyone have any and are they worth collecting. What content is in them? combatdvd.jpg[/img]

Ratpatroldvd.jpg[/img]

Please post any of the magazines if you got them. I think they are bronze age maybe silver?

Thanks Larry

I saw some Rat Patrol episodes on TV as a kid but never saw Combat. Every time I go to Borders I salivate over the Combat dvd's. I'd love to buy them.

One of the things I miss about TV in the 70's and early 80's is the now defunct independent stations. Back then, those stations would show movies on weekends and that's how I saw a lot of world war 2 movies. I saw all these as a kid and they are among my all time favorite movies.

The Longest Day

The Dirty Dozen

Kelly's Heroes

Hell is for Heroes

Von Ryan's Express

Guns of Navarone

The Big Red One

Midway (not a great movie but actually quite accurate)

The Devil's Brigade

Bridge at Remagen

Pork Chop Hill

Where Eagles Dare

Battle of the Bulge (horribly inaccurate but fun!)

Force Ten from Navarone (bad movie, guilty pleasure)

I spent this weekend watching the Rat Patrol set with my son (he's eight! - the same age I was when I wasted my Saturday afternoons watching Rat Patrol reruns.) It's great fun. Completely one-dimensional, but lots of shoot-'em-ups.

Other great series? If you can find it, the British series 'Colditz' from the early 70s with Robery Wagner was awesome.

'Piece of Cake' about the RAF in WW2.

And yeah, Combat was great. I read an interview with Kanigher once where he said they used to rip off his ideas. He's write a story for Sgt. Rock, and then there'd be a Combat episode aping it a few month later.

What was it about the 1960s and WW2? It seemed that every medium - TV, comics, paperbacks, movies, kids toys, etc - were dominated by the conflict. You could go watch a war movie at the theatre, pick up a few war comics on the way home, play with your Marx tommy gun for a while, watch Rat Patrol and Combat for an hour, play 'Dogfight' from Milton Bradley, and then go to be tucked up with your G.I. Joe!

Shep

Jeffro, I was more into Axis and Allies, Battleship, Risk, Stratego. The Navarone set reminds me of my extensive army men collection with tanks, halftracks, pill boxes etc. I even sent away for the collection on the back of the comic book (disapointed). I used to hit every dime store to check out the different bags of army men looking for the cool vehicles or equipment.

Shep, Do you know if Colditz or Piece of Cake come out in DVD. The only English show I used to watch as a kid was Benny Hill. I have a nice War DVD collection and I'm always looking to add!

Larry

I saw some Rat Patrol episodes on TV as a kid but never saw Combat. Every time I go to Borders I salivate over the Combat dvd's. I'd love to buy them.

One of the things I miss about TV in the 70's and early 80's is the now defunct independent stations. Back then, those stations would show movies on weekends and that's how I saw a lot of world war 2 movies. I saw all these as a kid and they are among my all time favorite movies.

The Longest Day

The Dirty Dozen

Kelly's Heroes

Hell is for Heroes

Von Ryan's Express

Guns of Navarone

The Big Red One

Midway (not a great movie but actually quite accurate)

The Devil's Brigade

Bridge at Remagen

Pork Chop Hill

Where Eagles Dare

Battle of the Bulge (horribly inaccurate but fun!)

Force Ten from Navarone (bad movie, guilty pleasure)

Good list, haven't seen all of those, but two of my favorite WW2 movies aren't on there - The Great Escape and Stalag 17. Stalag 17 is one of my faves no matter the genre. It would always pop up on afternoon or weekend television.

And I am not much into the newer Hollywood Private Ryan-type movies, but a couple of foreign ones stand out for me in modern times - Der Untergang (The Downfall) and Idi i smotri (Come and See). I highly recommend each if you like WW2 movies that are not necessarily all about action and big battle scenes.

hail.gif

My older cousins had it in the original box in their basement in Michigan. It was always a great break from my Star Wars figures when I visited them. The younger cousin wanted to give it to me (they were both in their mid to late teens around this time), but the older one wouldn't let it go. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Man, my brother and I had both of those, The Marx playsets absoutely rocked!

There was another WWII playset but i can't remember what it was called, but I do remember it having a very cool looking German 88 and an American howitzer

And I am not much into the newer Hollywood Private Ryan-type movies, but a couple of foreign ones stand out for me in modern times - Der Untergang (The Downfall) and Idi i smotri (Come and See). I highly recommend each if you like WW2 movies that are not necessarily all about action and big battle scenes

Thanks for 2 more recommendations. I will search these out!

We can't forget:

Patton

Tora, Tora, Tora

Apaclypes Now

etc......

Here are some newer one that are really good that did not get much press. These are listed in no particular order!

Enemy at the gates ( WW2. Russian sniper holds off germans at Stalingrad).

When Trumpets Fade. ( WW2. This is a must see for action and Story line)

Saints and Soldiers (WW2. Not a lot of action but good story)

Over There (Iraq. This is a 13 part TV mini series. Awesome. Must see)

Band of Brothers (WW2. Everyone knows this one. A must see!!)

I could go on and on but these are the best. I'm also looking for a movie that I never got on DVD and now Its out of print. It was called The Lost Patrol (or platoon). It was a WWI movie that was fantastic but I can't find it. Looking for 3yrs now. It was played on the History Channel or a similer channel.

Thanks for the suggestions Guys

I loved the MIlton Bradley 'Tank Battle' game. We had it when I was a kid, and years later I found the tanks (the scale was small... probably 1/144th scale) but they were well detailed. I remember in my model-building teen years I used the Panther and the Sherman and a bunch of the troops from the Star Wars Battle on Hoth set, and made a small-scale diorama that looked incredible.

Sigh. Now all my kid wants to play are video games.

Shep

And yeah, Combat was great. I read an interview with Kanigher once where he said they used to rip off his ideas. He's write a story for Sgt. Rock, and then there'd be a Combat episode aping it a few month later.

Hey Shep, Do you remember where you may have read this? I know Combat had tons of writers. I wonder which one was a Rock reader!

Thanks Larry

Good list, haven't seen all of those, but two of my favorite WW2 movies aren't on there - The Great Escape and Stalag 17. Stalag 17 is one of my faves no matter the genre. It would always pop up on afternoon or weekend television.

foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

How could I forget The Great Escape, Stalag 17, and even Patton!! What's wrong with me. screwy.gif

hail.gif

My older cousins had it in the original box in their basement in Michigan. It was always a great break from my Star Wars figures when I visited them. The younger cousin wanted to give it to me (they were both in their mid to late teens around this time), but the older one wouldn't let it go. Christo_pull_hair.gif

My parent's sold mine at a tag sale. I make it a point to remind them of that from time to time.

I loved the MIlton Bradley 'Tank Battle' game. We had it when I was a kid, and years later I found the tanks (the scale was small... probably 1/144th scale) but they were well detailed. I remember in my model-building teen years I used the Panther and the Sherman and a bunch of the troops from the Star Wars Battle on Hoth set, and made a small-scale diorama that looked incredible.

Sigh. Now all my kid wants to play are video games.

Shep

On vacation last year I found a copy of Tank Battle at a flea market for the princely sum of $1. Needless to say I bought it. grin.gif