• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,137 posts in this topic

And I am not much into the newer Hollywood Private Ryan-type movies, but a couple of foreign ones stand out for me in modern times - Der Untergang (The Downfall) and Idi i smotri (Come and See). I highly recommend each if you like WW2 movies that are not necessarily all about action and big battle scenes

Thanks for 2 more recommendations. I will search these out!

We can't forget:

Patton

Tora, Tora, Tora

Apaclypes Now

etc......

Here are some newer one that are really good that did not get much press. These are listed in no particular order!

Enemy at the gates ( WW2. Russian sniper holds off germans at Stalingrad).

When Trumpets Fade. ( WW2. This is a must see for action and Story line)

Saints and Soldiers (WW2. Not a lot of action but good story)

Over There (Iraq. This is a 13 part TV mini series. Awesome. Must see)

Band of Brothers (WW2. Everyone knows this one. A must see!!)

I could go on and on but these are the best. I'm also looking for a movie that I never got on DVD and now Its out of print. It was called The Lost Patrol (or platoon). It was a WWI movie that was fantastic but I can't find it. Looking for 3yrs now. It was played on the History Channel or a similer channel.

Thanks for the suggestions Guys

I like Apocalypse Now a lot, but if we switch to Vietnam movies, I think the first half of Full Metal Jacket is possibly the best thing ever put on film (it has battles over that title in my head with Goodfellas all the time). The first time I saw that as a teen, I was in absolute awe of D'Onofrio's (who pretty much phones in his stuff these days) and R. Lee Ermey's performances. The second half trails off a bit for me, but man the whole basic training aspect is just genius.

Also, an old afternoon or weekend WW2 movie I forgot to mention is "A Walk in the Sun." I still see that on our local PBS station occasionally on weekends. Good stuff.

And Band of Brothers is a big thumbs up from me. I still haven't watched it again since seeing it during the initial HBO run. But so good.

A Persian Gulf movie I liked was Jarhead. Although, I don't see what was so great about Three Kings (as some of its fans do). As for all out battle action, the Ranger/Delta Force/Somalia Black Hawk Down is fantastic as well. I need to pick it up on Blu Ray - I hear the HD transfer is superb.

Band of Brothers is pretty awesome. So is Saving Private Ryan.

While not really a "war" film in the sense that it portrays a battle or battles, Schindler's List is spectacular. Depressing but very good.

Another guilty pleasure war movie for me is The Green Berets. It's pretty much a pro Vietnam propaganda movie but it's pretty fun.

foreheadslap.gif I missed another one. Anyone see a movie called Attack! Possibly one of the best war movies made.

Weird, You have to see Over There!! It blows Jarhead out of the water.

BTW Apocalypse Now Redux. There is at least one must see extra scene.

Das Boot. Long but I liked it.

Memphis Belle. I still can't get that one scene out of my head! Ball gunners do not wear parachutes...or was it the tail gunner....

Glory. great civil war flick.

Band of Brothers is on sale at Target this week for $39.99. Great Price!

OK I'll Stop!!!!

Edited by Hedge

I purchased both of these along with the civil war set. I also purchased a fishing equipment set. I know a sucker is born every minute.

Larry

tanktrap.jpg[/img]

Do you still have them? Remarkably, they are VERY expensive now... complete sets of some of the Helen of Toy games go for $200+

And I am not much into the newer Hollywood Private Ryan-type movies, but a couple of foreign ones stand out for me in modern times - Der Untergang (The Downfall) and Idi i smotri (Come and See). I highly recommend each if you like WW2 movies that are not necessarily all about action and big battle scenes.

Holy cow, I can't believe another person on these boards saw COME AND SEE! Great pic and great pick! I saw it at a screening in San Francisco many years ago. One of the best war movies I've ever seen. Truly haunting.

Very nice copy Sterling. I was watching that one as I still need a decent copy. You got a phenomenal deal compared to the Rosa copy that sold a while back.

On a side note, I thought this was a multi-pack book (I know there is at least one or two SSWS that are)? Which I would think would make it more available in HG. 9.4 is still top census. Maybe I am mistaken on that.

Also, what kind of scanner do you have? I am thinking of getting an HP 7410 - not a big fan of HP, but their printers are okay and I do need a fax every once in a while (stupid people who won't give up and just use PDFs and email).

I'd like to re-scan all of my slabs on a legal size scanner this year and re-organize my registry sets.

I've got an HP Scanjet 8200. Yes that WWT was a relative "steal" compared to the Don Rosa, but man did I pay through the nose on some of the others. Shep, that was a bobcat special. Oh well. I think 9.4 is still top census. Heck, #4 ir pretty common and there's only one 9.6 copy of #5...which I sold like a dimwit several years ago.

Wow, your post reminded me of the Tank Battle game which I hadn't thought about for 20+ years. Then Friday night news.gif my dad tells me they are cleaning up our cottage and he found my Tank Battle game. Coolness!

As for Navarone, that is simply unforgettable--the greatest playset I ever saw. Great detail in the soldiers and the multilevel aspect is fantastic. You could just see Rock and Easy storming that thing, preferably drawn by Russ Heath.

My parents were making a career change the summer of my eighth birthday and so they were trying to economize. When it was time to open my birthday presents there was almost nothing and I probably looked pretty disappointed and then they said, Oh wait, there's one more thing. And brought out that monster box with the Navarone set. I was overjoyed and I think that set stayed "set up" in the living room the rest of the summer.

As for Navarone, that is simply unforgettable--the greatest playset I ever saw. Great detail in the soldiers and the multilevel aspect is fantastic. You could just see Rock and Easy storming that thing, preferably drawn by Russ Heath.

I still miss my Navarone playset. frown.gif

Mine is loooooooong gone, but I still have the two yellow cannons kicking around somewhere. Not sure how they survived but they did. I also have a very clear recollection of finding army men scattered around the house. Apparently, I wouldn't take very good care of them and they would end up inbetween couch cushions and such. It was like finding treasure when I would come across one hidden somewhere. God, times like this I really miss being a kid. smile.gif

This one didn't get much notice in the General thread... maybe this is the better spot for it...

invadersannual1.jpg

Schomburg cloud9.gif

Very beautiful comic, Apotheosis! thumbsup2.gif

Andy