• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Concerned With The Grade Of My Flash #123 CGC 2.5

35 posts in this topic

So I have had this book for a long time, it was graded back in 2008 I believe. The only major flaw on the book Would be the small corner piece missing on the back left cover of the book. Other than that the book is flat with great color and is nicely centered with the cover attached. There is no water damage or spine splitting. Why it has a grade of 2.5 baffles me every time I look at it. Just wanted to provide detailed photos of the book and get some thoughts from experienced collectors out there who might be able to give there insight. I understand that you can not see the interiors but the page quality looks to be decent with a light tan to of white being assigned on the slab. Unfortunately I am not able to access grader notes and I purchased the book slabbed so no idea as to what is going on inside the book, if the front and back covers are any indication it seems like a solid book overall. The white marks are on the slab not the book near the top left corner. Anyways enough of my :blahblah: here are the photos.

Thanks in advance for your insight as it will be much appreciated :grin:

20160424_182925.jpg

20160424_182816.jpg

20160424_183020.jpg

20160424_183040.jpg

20160424_183046.jpg

20160424_183054.jpg

20160424_183114.jpg

20160424_183123.jpg

20160424_183132.jpg

20160424_183142.jpg

The page quality for a book from 1961, light tan to off white, is a very low quality. My guess would be there are margin pages chipping off like it did on the back cover. Graders notes can be purchased on the CGC web site. They may or may not go into detail of internal problems because graders notes are not always complete on every book.

I know That light tan to off white is not the best but I have seen books in the 9.0s that have light tan to off white pages, not sure that would really kill the grade of the book to a 2.5. Comparing other books I have the pages look more like cream then light tan.

I agree that it looks much better than a 2.5 (I would imagine even 4/5-5.0 based on the cover) but there could be an internal issue...maybe some page edge chipping (the light tan could possibly indicate a potential internal page issue with them being maybe close to brittle). Granted, the cover looks too good for this to be a huge issue inside but without purchasing the graders notes there's no way to determine it. Are the staples firmly intact? Is it possible there is some internal staining that you may not can see from the exterior?

Purchase the grader's notes and fill us in! :)

I sometimes wonder if PQ less than COW might have a negative impact on the assigned grade, even if it's not recognized as a defect in a textbook sense.

Just a thought. Probably even a wrong one, but a thought nonetheless.

PQ is not an issue, only an issue if it was "brittle to tanned".

I think you got slammed bc of the tape repair on the back of the spine...so the spine IS split.

Other than that, the main culprit is a puncture tear on the FC, below the steel beam.This likely effects interior pages.

I also see some pretty severe bending, which barely breaks color, on 3/4 of the edge of tge FC...abd a bend on the BC.

If you resub it, definitely have it cleaned/pressed.

Based on what I *think* are the not readily apparent issues, I'd say a CPR would result in a blue 3.5/4.0.

I wouldnt just do a straight resub.

Take that back, the tape is on the outer corner...no spine split.

Definitely a 4.0 if CPR'd.

There is no tape on the book.

As for the tear on the front below the steel beam, there could potentially be some interior damage but it looks worse in the picture then in hand and is not very deep or dented.

The top corner of the BC looks like tape to me.

You won't know the extent of the puncture, unless you crack the case or pay for the notes.If it is a puncture, and not just a tear to the FC only, it is likely that at least a few of the interior pages have puncture tears.

Aren't graders' notes available for 5 bucks?

OTOH, the notes don't always disclose every defect.

What looks like tape is actually just a crease, unless you are talking about the left back corner which has a small piece missing. My concern for buying the grader notes is it doesn't always disclose interior defects so it might be for nothing.

Its now 10$ for notes :)

I know That light tan to off white is not the best but I have seen books in the 9.0s that have light tan to off white pages, not sure that would really kill the grade of the book to a 2.5. Comparing other books I have the pages look more like cream then light tan.

Besides having a piece missing from the back cover there looks to be a piece missing from the lower spine back cover (below the bottom staple), a stain along the right edge of the front cover, lots of spine and edge/corner wear and Light Tan to Off White pages.

And that's just what I can see in a two dimensional picture.

That is a good looking book regardless of grade.

I would be happy to own it and not care what any third party grader thought.

Congrats on a nice book!

Thank you :foryou:

For the price I payed I cant complain

I bought the notes just because

Travelling so will post later

There are 9 notes that all relate to exterior flaws

The top corner of the BC looks like tape to me.

You won't know the extent of the puncture, unless you crack the case or pay for the notes.If it is a puncture, and not just a tear to the FC only, it is likely that at least a few of the interior pages have puncture tears.

Aren't graders' notes available for 5 bucks?

OTOH, the notes don't always disclose every defect.

Anything this guy says is speculation

I bought the notes just because

Travelling so will post later

There are 9 notes that all relate to exterior flaws

Anything this guy says is fact