• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How would you feel...

152 posts in this topic

if someone made an offer for a book you had in a sales thread, you agreed on a price, and before it was even paid for the book was listed on eBay for more than double the agreed on price? Please keep in mind I am not complaining about what they are asking, as I could have done the same thing, but the fact they are using my scan and could possibly sell a book before they completed the original transaction.

I made a trade with a fellow boardie this month and they had my book listed and sold before I had theirs in hand. We had made special shipping arrangements before hand but it was a little bit worrisome for me. All worked out fine in the end but it still made me a little nervous.

if someone made an offer for a book you had in a sales thread, you agreed on a price, and before it was even paid for the book was listed on eBay for more than double the agreed on price? Please keep in mind I am not complaining about what they are asking, as I could have done the same thing, but the fact they are using my scan and could possibly sell a book before they completed the original transaction.

I think there is an etiquette issue when using someone elses scans. I don't have a problem with it if someone asks permission to use my scan. Just doesn't feel right to me to use a scan that's not mine without asking permission

first, doesnt that technically violate some of the eBay listing policies (I think I remember a discussion about this a few years back when someone was doing a quick flip of some blacklight posters maybe)?

I guess the only person who's at risk in your scenario if the guy you are selling to. He's assuming:

a) you are going to ship in a timely manner so he can fill his order if someone hits his BIN (if its a BIN)

b) nothing bad happens during shipment

c) the book is as you described

I think using others scans of purchases is a common practice here (especially for people w/o scanners). but you could say "hey no big deal, but in the future it's best to ask to use someone else's scan for your listings"

I think there is an etiquette issue when using someone elses scans. I don't have an problem with it if someone asks permission to use my scan. Just doesn't feel right to me to use a scan that's not mine without asking permission

+1

I wouldn't be happy with someone using my material to expedite a sale in this way, either.

In the present market, such accelerated flipping isn't surprising, though.

Once I sell a book to someone I don't care what they do with it.... in fact, if they choose to sell it I hope they make money off it. So long as I was happy with the price that ends the transaction for me.

THAT is what I've always said, until I read this. I still KINDA feel that way? But this story just makes me feel like I need a shower.

Only thing that could make it worse would be if you revealed that you gave the buyer a discount because he told you how much he wanted the book to fill in a hole in his collection or something...

Just out of curiosity, did they buy at your asking price, or give you a sob story about this was their dad's favorite book, and their uncle Jeffrey actually worked in the printing presses used for this issue, etc...

Using your scan wouldn't bother me that much, but like others said, what if something happens to the book in transit that negates the scan's accuracy?

Just out of curiosity, did they buy at your asking price, or give you a sob story about this was their dad's favorite book, and their uncle Jeffrey actually worked in the printing presses used for this issue, etc...

Using your scan wouldn't bother me that much, but like others said, what if something happens to the book in transit that negates the scan's accuracy?

No nothing like that, and I knew the buyers past MO, but I believe in paying for something before I claim to own it.

No nothing like that, and I knew the buyers past MO, but I believe in paying for something before I claim to own it.

+1

I also wouldn't sell it before I had it in hand.

+1

I don't mind the scan thing. Once you post it, it ceases to be "your" scan IMO. Comic guys get upset about this scan thing and I never understood it but I come from OA where scans are freely given and taken and I think are generally considered public domain once shared on the internet..

Out this azzclown

That goes beyond bad form

Out this azzclown

Right! That seems slimey to me. :P

Out this azzclown

Right! That seems slimey to me. :P

+1

Out him ......................................................... :baiting:

WTF :doh:

I would feel relieved I'm not that person, nor have to live or interact with that person on a daily basis. Also I would feel the urge to take a shower.

I personally wouldn't list a book until I have it in hand. What happens if it is damaged during shipment to him and he has already sold it. His buyer is not going to be happy.

I think waiting to list a book until after you have it in hand just decreases the likelihood of headaches.