• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action 252 - Grade Please!

15 posts in this topic

My children are huge fans of the new Supergirl show. So today I decided to dig around and see if I could find my copy of her first appearance, and show it to them. I found it and here it is. I am not familiar with how to use a scanner on comics, but hopefully this will come out okay. I am curious as to what people's thoughts are on what kind of a grade this might get if I ever decided to spend the time, energy, and $$$$ to get it graded (something I rarely do).

mskk7n.jpg

Thank you in advance for your thoughts on a grade and your thoughts as to why it deserves the grade you assign.

Maybe a 4.5 from that pic Rich.

Thanks Ben.

I appreciate your feedback and it is great to hear from you, my friend.

I usually don't CGC books, as I don't see the point (unless you are looking to sell them and everyone needs to agree on the grade). I mean, once it is in plastic, it makes it kind of hard to read. Still I have sent a few high grade copies of books to be graded in the past (provided I had another reading copy available). In this case, I am wondering if I should CGC this and then buy myself a lower grade copy for the kids to read. I know this is not a "high grade" book, but it seems to have moved up in price and perhaps putting it in a case will preserve it better for when my children inherit all this "stuff".

I was tempted to send this in for grading (something I have not done in years), however, I am not sure how to even do that these days.

When I look at the rates, it shows I can use express for a flat $95 for books with a FMV of up to $3,000. After that it appears you have to do "walk through" at a cost of 3% of FMV.

The express would be acceptable, however, I am not sure CGC would go for that as the book may have a FMV of over $3K. I don't really know as I don't know the grade for certain (and I don't subscribe to GPA or anything). If I can't do the express, then how am I supposed to figure out how much I am supposed to pay CGC? This seems very confusing and may not be worth the aggravation of trying to figure it out.

Also, what does "walk through" mean. I assume I am not expected to hand carry the book to their office.

Maybe I will post this question in a new thread at some point, as this is probably not the place to post it.

Thanks to all who weighed in so far. I REALLY appreciate it. The general opinion seems to put this somewhere in the 5s. (4.5 - 5.5). I could live with a grade in that range.

I was tempted to send this in for grading (something I have not done in years), however, I am not sure how to even do that these days.

When I look at the rates, it shows I can use express for a flat $95 for books with a FMV of up to $3,000. After that it appears you have to do "walk through" at a cost of 3% of FMV.

The express would be acceptable, however, I am not sure CGC would go for that as the book may have a FMV of over $3K. I don't really know as I don't know the grade for certain (and I don't subscribe to GPA or anything). If I can't do the express, then how am I supposed to figure out how much I am supposed to pay CGC? This seems very confusing and may not be worth the aggravation of trying to figure it out.

Also, what does "walk through" mean. I assume I am not expected to hand carry the book to their office.

Maybe I will post this question in a new thread at some point, as this is probably not the place to post it.

Thanks to all who weighed in so far. I REALLY appreciate it. The general opinion seems to put this somewhere in the 5s. (4.5 - 5.5). I could live with a grade in that range.

A board member had a low grade A252 (slabbed and blue label .5 for $550 I think?) for sale recently which may be a suitable reader for your kids. Walk through means the book will be graded the day CGC gets it or the very next day depending on how late in the day it first arrives. The walk through service is usually reserved for books in the $3000++ price tier. You can pay for the proper grading tier based on what you think FMV is. If CGC values the book much higher, they will contact you and give you the option to pay for a bump in grading service. John Verzyl flew to CGC and waited the same day when he got his Mile High AA16 graded.

Thanks, Ben.

This is very helpful. Looking at eBay, I think I could send this in with a FMV of $3K (if it is up to a 5.5) and be safe. I guess if I do decide to send it in and they put it higher than the 5.5 (good day for me), then perhaps they would bump me up to the walk through which it looks like it would probably only be $150.

I wonder why they charge more based on the FMV of the book. I can see it taking longer to grade a GA than a modern, but wouldn't it take the same amount of time and effort to grade say an Action #2 as an Action #1 (and yet the price for grading would be significantly higher for the AC1).

The last time I sent books off to CGC was several years ago. Back then I think I joined for a year and they let you sub 3 books for free (basically the cost of membership). I took 3 duplicate SA Actions I had and sent them in to see how they would do. 2 out of the 3 came back as CGC single highest graded. Last I checked, they both still were. That was kind of unexpected and exciting, as I am not an expert grader and did not know how they would fare.

Thanks again for all who weighed in on the grade, and special thanks to Ben for the advice on how to sub books (and tip on the AC 252).

These boards are awesome. Great people with lots of knowledge, always willing to take the time to help a fellow collector.

...and then buy myself a lower grade copy for the kids to read.

My 2 cents: I would slab this blue-chip key, then find a reprint, TPB or (*gasp*) digital copy for your kids to read. Even a beater (sub-2.0) copy of Action 252 might cost you a couple hundred bucks...money you could put towards a different book.

Again, just what'd I'd do.