• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prince Comic

20 posts in this topic

Is this the right age? It's around 1984. It's my wife's NM condtion though :) Im a Golden Age guy but she is a Prince fan (hence why she even has it or kept it) Anyone know anything about this book (value etc)(

Since this question has been answered I will add that if youre looking for another Prince item which is very cool, dont sleep on the new Billboard special that came out today..

Prices havent skyrocketed yet but I predict that this will be a well sought after magazine in years (months?) to come

s_l1600.jpg

Is this the right age? It's around 1984. It's my wife's NM condtion though :) Im a Golden Age guy but she is a Prince fan (hence why she even has it or kept it) Anyone know anything about this book (value etc)(

There are 3 comics that I am aware of:

Prince: Alter Ego (1991)

Prince: Rock & Roll Comcis #21 (1991)

Prince & The New Power Generation: Three Chains of Gold (1994)

Yep, if there's a Prince comic book from 1984, that would be a good one to add to the top of the list.

Rock n Roll comics... That brings memories.. Not to change the topic (OK I just did) but does anyone here remember Issue 1 (GnR) & #3 (JBJ) "heating up" due to lawsuits and recalls?

This series is mostly drek now, thanks to over-saturation of the genre, but some of the books are still kinda somewhat HTF, especially the last ones. And then of course theres 8 and #61, which, well.. Youll never find

Ahhhhh sweet memories...

The Prince "Alter Ego" had 3 direct printings (with small "II" or "III" in the UPC

box (picture above is the third print). Supposedly there are two printings

of the newsstand. I have the first and am looking for the second.

The Prince "Alter Ego" had 3 direct printings (with small "II" or "III" in the UPC

Theres also the ULTRA RARE (there, I said it) UK mag version (notice I didnt say variant, so were even) that comes with a badge/pin

Rock n Roll comics... That brings memories.. Not to change the topic (OK I just did) but does anyone here remember Issue 1 (GnR) & #3 (JBJ) "heating up" due to lawsuits and recalls?

This series is mostly drek now, thanks to over-saturation of the genre, but some of the books are still kinda somewhat HTF, especially the last ones. And then of course theres 8 and #61, which, well.. Youll never find

Ahhhhh sweet memories...

Was that series unauthorized by the artists?

Ahhhhh sweet memories...

The only unauthorized one was the Revolutionary book. Both Pirahna books were endorsed by Prince, Paisley Park and WB. Other fun facts, Alter Ego was the 1st book released by Pirahna, and was used as a tie-in to the Diamonds & Pearls album.

Three Chains O' Gold told the story of the Love Symbol Album, it was supposed to come out with it, but got delayed for two years.

Ahhhhh sweet memories...

Yes they were unauthorized for the most part, however some of the artists voluntarily gave input, I know Kiss was involved in there Revolutionary comics. 8 is Skid row, it was printed but never distributed, they were not destroyed so they may show up one day. There was mounting legal fee's that were getting expensive so they just did not distribute that book.

Carbonaro bought the publisher remainder stock close to a million books, not the Skid Row issue, in the mid 90's when they went bankrupt so certain issues are ultra common, while others actually sold out and are scarce enough that they have Novelty value to them today.

There are 3 comics that I am aware of:

Prince: Alter Ego (1991)

Prince: Rock & Roll Comcis #21 (1991)

Prince & The New Power Generation: Three Chains of Gold (1994)

These are the three Prince comic books, they have held Novelty collector value on Ebay since the early days. They were easy $10-$20 each going back to the 1999-2003 era for sure as I went through at least a short box of them. Another batch of books that I pillaged from the Mile High web site for about 50 cents a book back in the day.

Ahhhhh sweet memories...

Yes they were unauthorized for the most part, however some of the artists voluntarily gave input, I know Kiss was involved in there Revolutionary comics. 8 is Skid row, it was printed but never distributed, they were not destroyed so they may show up one day. There was mounting legal fee's that were getting expensive so they just did not distribute that book.

Carbonaro bought the publisher remainder stock close to a million books, not the Skid Row issue, in the mid 90's when they went bankrupt so certain issues are ultra common, while others actually sold out and are scarce enough that they have Novelty value to them today.

This whole series was doing very well earlier on into the run, its worth noting that by the time Issue 1 came out, the independent B&W market was in decline. Another book that never saw print was #61 (The Yes book). I remember issues #1, 3 and the NKOTB book selling for crazy prices, but now they have all settled and are easily accessible

Ahhhhh sweet memories...

This whole series was doing very well earlier on into the run, its worth noting that by the time Issue 1 came out, the independent B&W market was in decline. Another book that never saw print was #61 (The Yes book). I remember issues #1, 3 and the NKOTB book selling for crazy prices, but now they have all settled and are easily accessible

The #1 GNR and #2 Metallica went to 6-7 printings with close to 100,000 copies, which was a very high number for a black and white indy. Although the final few printings were in color, including a magazine size reprint which got some distribution on newsstands. The 61 I believe never got printed, there were a number of mini series that have some collector value today, Beatles, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Elvis, and Kiss.

Theres also the ULTRA RARE (there, I said it) UK mag version (notice I didnt say variant, so were even) that comes with a badge/pin

Ultra rare you say hm

Time to sell me thinks