• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monthly Issues vs. TPB's

28 posts in this topic

So, the first installment of Star Wars Revenge of the Sith came out today, along with the TPB.

Now ... a lot of people say that they save money by getting the trades rather than buying all the issues. May be true in some cases, but ... in the case of this series:

TPB costs $12.99

Each issue costs $2.99

4 issues in the series

You do the math. It's more expensive to get the trade.

When you take into consideration the 3 extra trips to the LCS, the bags and boards, the extra space the 4 individual issues take up, the frustration of seeing every copy of an issue at your LCS having production defects or your LCS running out of an underordered title like that plus only being able to read your books at home with your surgical gloves on so as not to damage the book in any way, one might be inclined to say screw it all and pony up the extra 99 cents for the trade. insane.gif

I still like owning the actual comics. 20 years ago if they did TPB's as regularily as they do today and I bought Byrne FF's via TPB's and not the actual comics I would have regretted it today. I guess I'm old school and would rather support the series I have followed since I was a kid.

I still like owning the actual comics. 20 years ago if they did TPB's as regularily as they do today and I bought Byrne FF's via TPB's and not the actual comics I would have regretted it today. I guess I'm old school and would rather support the series I have followed since I was a kid.

I have resisted buying modern TPBs in favor of the monthlies for some time, perhaps because of habit and tradition, but also because of the perception that they are more "collectible" while the TPBs are pretty much just for reading. But, given all the conveniences that I pointed out above, and given that most Modern books end up as $1 bin fodder a few months after release anyway (i.e., they're really not all that collectible), I think I will be switching over to only buying TPBs by the end of the year, with the possible exception of 1 or 2 titles.

It's hard not to go with TPBs. They're easier to store and look nicer on a bookshelf. I like buying monthlies, but it's becoming almost a hassle to go to the LCS and I really dislike the ones here in Philly (incidentally, somebody wants to open a comic shop, Philly is the place to do it where the competition is not exactly stiff).

All in all, I find I don't miss monthly comics all that much at all.

I stopped getting monthly about 6 months ago, and don't really miss them. The TPBs are just a nicer format to read, I don't have to as concerned with keeping them in good shape, and I don't have to wait months to read a complete story.

I go with TPBs for anything I missed and anything I am not interested in collecting, that is, stuff I only want to read.

Walking Dead, Invincible, anything from IDW, those all fall into the trade category.

I'm afraid TPBs are the future unless something extraordinary occurs and the general public suddenly embraces the monthlies. People like their entertainment spoonfed to them with little to no activity required other than their attention. Monthlies are too much of a monetary and acquisitional hassle for the entertainment provided in today's world. A TPB gives them a done-in-one story with one trip to the bookstore vs. 6 to a comics store for the same story. Even as a die-hard monthly collector, I know the former prospect sounds appealing when you look at it this way...

Jim

So, the first installment of Star Wars Revenge of the Sith came out today, along with the TPB.

Now ... a lot of people say that they save money by getting the trades rather than buying all the issues. May be true in some cases, but ... in the case of this series:

TPB costs $12.99

Each issue costs $2.99

4 issues in the series

You do the math. It's more expensive to get the trade.

gossip.gif It's only $9.71 on Amazon.

You know, if they'd just start adding ads to TPBs, making them more viable as an original medium, we might just see the comic fade away. I have no problems with ads in comics and I'd have no problems with them in TPBs.

But, TPBs don't increase in value do they? They're basically reprints. If, by the grace of God, one of the four issues is someday worth a decent amount, the TPB will still likely remain $12.

Sure it's unlikely to really happen with moderns these days, but I'll take my chances.

As for space they take up, I looked at the trade, and it's thicker than four issues put together. Maybe there's extra stuff in it, i'm not sure. But it would take more space that the four issues. And if your LCS automatically bags comics free of charge like mine does thumbsup2.gif and you have excess boards laying around, it's really better to get the singles.

I buy nothing but trades now give or take an occassional interest in an individual book. I havent regretted it a bit.

I spend much less time and stress about the condition of the book

No getting pissed cuz the latest issue was late

And I think I pay a little less too

flipside:

wont go up in value

far less attractive to display and if the cover isnt reprinted in the book, you loose that nice art as well

I have probably 6 or 7 trades in my collection. So I'm not 100% against them. I have the first 4 volumes of Ultimate Spider-Man, eventhough I plan on completing the entire run. I just bought the trades to read the story, and once I buy all those issues, I won't touch them.

The other trades I own are books like Batman WarGames. I have all the regular Batman series issues in the War Games arc, but didn't want to buy all the other titles to get the entire story.

But, TPBs don't increase in value do they? They're basically reprints. If, by the grace of God, one of the four issues is someday worth a decent amount, the TPB will still likely remain $12.

Sure it's unlikely to really happen with moderns these days, but I'll take my chances.

As for space they take up, I looked at the trade, and it's thicker than four issues put together. Maybe there's extra stuff in it, i'm not sure. But it would take more space that the four issues. And if your LCS automatically bags comics free of charge like mine does thumbsup2.gif and you have excess boards laying around, it's really better to get the singles.

History does show that items not created for collection, sometimes end up being collectible because they were ragged out. Not saying that will happen with TBP, but I would think 1st edition TPB may be a collectable.

I've tried to go the trade route, but most books I'm currently reading I keep picking up every month. If I drop it to wait for the trade, I end up losing interest entirely. It's tough to put a book down for 6-9 months or more to wait for a trade. I went through a little crisis with Sleeper recently, as I waited patiently for the third one to come out and I loved it so much when it did I just couldn't wait and I bought the issues 7-10 and now am in convulsions waiting for the last 2. If I stuck to my plan, it would be about September or October before I found out what Holden and co. were up to, and I couldn't take it.

Some I have had an easier time dropping, like the Ultimate books. But now that I've dropped them, it would take a REALLY slow week to get me to pick one up. And that's when I get most of my trades, when I've only got 0-2 comics on Wednesday morning and I need to justify the trip.

And some trades are collectible. First editions of Sandmans and others that have gone through multiple printings and package designs (not to mention the limited reprintings of the marbleized versions of Masterworks) have been selling for over cover. Plus there's Miracleman, but that's a distinct case.

I sometimes buy the issues then the trade too, just so I can read the arc in one sitting. I've quit a number of titles in order to read them in trade, but by the time the trade hits, I've decided I don't want that either.

The collector in me pretty much forbids me from completely going to collected volumes. Since I've started collecting everything by Brubaker, Vaughan, Adam Hughes, or Frank Cho, I feel this strong need to keep buying them. Sad, but true.

i do a bit of both....

i have weekly pulls and a few compilations that i like to pick up.

it's not like i visit my local only for the books. heroclix, action figs, cards are all things they sell that i buy.

i get the usual x titles and a few a few mini series every month and when ever i've got a spare 15$ i pick up a comp of either ultimate xmen, preacher or green arrow.

Hard covers. Look great, no bags, no boards,less space, high quality binding, limited print runs, appreciate in value in a lot of cases, read the story all at once, save 30 % off of cover when they first come out, usually reserved for the best arcs...

sandman.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

Hard covers. Look great, no bags, no boards,less space, high quality binding, limited print runs, appreciate in value in a lot of cases, read the story all at once, save 30 % off of cover when they first come out, usually reserved for the best arcs...

sandman.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

DOn't forget great book covers which are easily damaged. thumbsup2.gif

DOn't forget great book covers which are easily damaged. thumbsup2.gif

Brodart

Believe me there is a helluva lot more book collectors out there than comic collectors. They have pretty much figured out how to protect them. All my hard bounds are covered with archival covers, which takes about 30 seconds per book.

And since when have you been concerned about condition ?

thumbsup2.gif