• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best casting of actor to superhero?

50 posts in this topic

Thinking of the the DC and Marvel Universes, which actor do you think has been the best casting for a superhero in terms of accurate portrayal of look, personality, and general feel

Here are my top 5

1. Christopher Reeve – Superman

2. Chris Evans – Cap

3. Chris Hemsworth – Thor

4. Patrick Stewart – Charles Xavier

5. Scar Jo – Black Widow

Honorable mention: RDJ as Iron Man. I don’t know that he has been the best personification of the character that I was accustomed to in the comics. However, now that RDJ has played Iron Man, I can’t imagine another actor doing it better and his success/coolness, I think, made the rest of the Marvel movies possible.

In the Civil War thread, I said I loved Evans as Cap (after initially being skeptical). I'll stick with him as my #1 seed.

Can we include TV? I think the guy that plays DD on the Netflix show is really good too. Jon Berynthal (sp?) was a great casting choice as the Punisher.

Definitely like Helmsworth as Thor. And Sam Jackson's Fury is a dead ringer for the Ultimates version (should be as he was the model).

Gal Gadot as WW looks promising too, but not enough screen time yet to call her my favorite.

Not heroes, but both Tom Hiddleston's Loki and Fassbender's Magneto are right at the top.

Great thread...

For me, personally, Superman has been hard to watch with anyone but Reeve. He's top of any list for me on the subject.

Ryan really inhabits Deadpool, but I think many actors with a good sense of comedic timing could probably do a respectable job. (He deserves all the cred in the world for getting that movie made, though.)

RDJ really defined Iron Man. On the other hand, Iron Man is a lot like RDJ now so there's that...

When Jackman says "bub" and I don't laugh because it sounds unnatural, it makes me think he's in the conversation.

No argument with Hemsworth or Evans or Hiddleston either.

Vincent D'Can'tSpellHisName'Ofrio as Kingpin is nails. The bit we've seen of Bernthal as Punisher is great. I thought Teddy Sears was a FANTASTIC Jay Garrick until recently lol I thought John Wesley Shipp was a great Barry Allen/Flash until that show started jumping the shark relatively early into its run.

There's just too many- considering how awful comicbook stuff was onscreen when I was a kid we're in a truly epic Golden Age of movies that will be watchable until such time as I'm expired. I'm thankful for it.

Thomas Haden Church - Sandman

Ron Perlman - Hellboy

Mark Strong - Sinestro

Heath Ledger - The Joker

Jon Bernthal - The Punisher

Not yet mentioned, but Wesley Snipes made a better Blade than was ever portrayed in the comics, and that was really early in the whole Marvel movie thing -- the success of Blade likely had a _lot_ to do with the X-Men film being viable.

Christopher Reeve will forever be Superman for me.

Shocked no one mentioned Toby McGuire as Spidey. Peter Parker is a nerd, Toby was perfect. Garfield destroyed the franchise the way Clooney had when he was Batman. Hopefully the new guy in Civil War works out.

Jackman as Wolverine. I don't think you can get it more right than that.

Reynolds as Deadpool, but also Reynolds as Hannibal King in Blade 3. I guess essentially the same character, but I loved him in that. Always wished they had made more Blade movies.

Chris Pratt as Starlord. Loved him. I've been buying comics off the rack since the early 1980's and I knew nothing about the GOTG. Now I can't wait for the next one!

Jay

Not a superhero... but J.K Simmons as JJ Jameson!

Dang I thought that and was going to post it. So in agreement!

Supporting cast best casting:

- Gary Oldman: Commissioner Gordon

- Jonathan Kent: Glenn Ford

- Jor-El: Russell Crowe (sorry, but Marlon Brando's 'Carlel' pronouncement is distracting)

- Martha Kent: Annette O'Toole

- Perry White: Jackie Cooper

- Aunt May: Rosemary Harris

Shocked no one mentioned Toby McGuire as Spidey. Peter Parker is a nerd, Toby was perfect.

Jackman as Wolverine. I don't think you can get it more right than that.

Reynolds as Deadpool

Chris Pratt as Starlord

:applause:

Jackman as Wolverine?!?!

I want whatever you are smoking! That must be some good *spoon*!

Remember, you can't do it here unless you bring enough for everyone.

-Terry

(Yes, I censored myself)

Jackman as Wolverine?!?!

I want whatever you are smoking! That must be some good *spoon*!

Remember, you can't do it here unless you bring enough for everyone.

-Terry

(Yes, I censored myself)

j2ev2HL.jpg

Alien's Finest. When you need the very best!

Christopher Reeve-Superman

Heath Ledger-The Joker

Michael Keaton-Batman

Brandon Lee- The Crow

Louise Burgoin- Adelle Blanc-Sec

Chris Evans- Captain America (he was a pretty good Johnny Storm)

Ron Perlman - Hellboy

Mark Strong - Sinestro

Robert Downey Jr.- Iron Man

Chris Hemsworth – Thor

Patrick Stewart – Charles Xavier

Bill Bixby- Banner

Chris Pratt- Starlord

Tom Hiddleston-Loki

Hugh Jackman-Wolverine

Michelle Pfeiffer- Catwoman

Melissa Benoist- Supergirl

So many good roles to name them all...

Best casting of actor to superhero?

That's easy. All of them.

Doesn't matter who's playing who.

They all do a good job.

Hard to disagree. Both studios are knocking it out of the park since RDJ was picked for iron man. These movies are attracting seriously good talent