• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

conserved grades - valuation question

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I haven't been keeping up with the conserved grade - and I've gone through the last few pages, but don't see this question already asked - excuse me if it has been discussed.

I'm wondering how to value books that have been conserved...

4.0 "Cover and centrefold reinforced, tear seals to cover"

If restored books are generally worth the grade they would have earned before the restoration - with some very subjective bump - is this generally also accepted for conserved books?

If the cover and centrefold were reinforced does that suggest they were detached and and maybe event split (although it doesn't look like it)?

All thoughts are appreciated.

If restored books are generally worth the grade they would have earned before the restoration - with some very subjective bump - is this generally also accepted for conserved books?

Not certain yet, I think the jury is still out on this one since the switch to the new label is fairly recent. For me a conserved is no big deal unlike pieces added and such, so I'm probably in the neighborhood of 70-80% of full grade unless of course I'm really, really gaga over the book, in which case I'd put the blinders on

I'm assuming that most "conserved"books will be of a lower grade value, unlike say, restored books, which can run the gamut from low to high.

I think, and this is all obviously OPINION, that @75% is a decent guess for a lower grade (sub 5.0) book that has been PROFESSIONALLY conserved. Same goes for books that were "conserved", but got hit with the "restored" label before CGC differentiated between the two.

Just a guess though.

I would guess there is a good chance that books with a cover reinforced once had a detached cover, or at least were barely hanging on. there is not another reason I can think of for having done so.

Good OP!

Not taking into account other variables that adjust the value (e.g.,white pages :baiting: , scarcity/rareness, whether the book is a key, whether book is hot or not), I generally take 33% off the unrestored value for a book with slight to moderate conservation and between a 33% to 50% off the unrestored value for a book with slight to moderate resto. Anything with trimmed pages, I take over 50% off but that' reflects my personal disdain for trimmed books.

Another important consideration relevant to graded conserved books is the label. The CGC purple label in my mind lowers the market value of the slab (not the book per se). The market calls it "PLOD." Sure, the newer CGC conserved label is not totally purple, but it has that purple trim running on the top of the label. Assuming the books are not SS, the other grading company uses the same label color among unrestored, restored and conserved books. That slab with the conserved label issued by the other company, to me, is worth more than a functionally equivalent CGC slab, even though it could have been the identical book that got cracked out of a CGC PLOD slab and placed into the other company's slab. Just my thought process.

Wow... I am VERY thankful for the responses.

These boards are the best. I've learned so much, bought even more, and sold a fair amount.

The thoughtfulness of the responses is great.

for those wondering the book in question is Four Color # 9 - an early Donald Duck book.

I sold my Four Color #16 with some sellers remorse and picked up this one way cheaper than I would have expected.

If I manage to get the grading notes, I'll be sure to share.

Cheers.

Wow... I am VERY thankful for the responses.

These boards are the best. I've learned so much, bought even more, and sold a fair amount.

The thoughtfulness of the responses is great.

for those wondering the book in question is Four Color # 9 - an early Donald Duck book.

I sold my Four Color #16 with some sellers remorse and picked up this one way cheaper than I would have expected.

If I manage to get the grading notes, I'll be sure to share.

Cheers.

Great book! Bring a scan over to the 'Show us your ducks' thread in the Gold section and show it off.