• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS ANTHOLOGY: HAN SOLO (5/25/18)

410 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, kagenish said:

ok, I saw the movie yesterday after work with my friend and in the theater, there were about two other people watching it. I gotta say this but the movie was OK nothing great just OK I do agree it does feel like an amazing movie was hiding but never fully realized. it's my lowest of the new star wars films and 3 lowest in my overall star wars films.

1.empire 

2.return of the Jedi

3. the last Jedi 

4. New hope 

5. Rogue one 

6 force awakens 

7. revenge of the Sith 

8. Han solo 

9 attack of the clones 

10. phantom menace 

About the same as I felt.  Solo was pretty good and I'm glad I saw it but compared to most of the Star Wars movies this one is near the bottom. I think I would have pushed "The Last Jedi" down a few notches and pushed up "The Force Awakens" to #3.  Rogue One is the best I've seen so far.

Solo was ok, not good, not bad.

It didnt give enough info about him or why he’s the way he is.  Which I'm sure there will be other movies to flesh that out.  The part about how he got his name was lame also.

Woody was great, I was thinking he’d be a great mentor and could see how Han would turn out the way he was from him but oh well.  

Lando, too flashy, but then again he was younger but it doesn't fit with the the era.  He also wasn't fleshed out enough.

The PC/SJW culture of today is ruining Star Wars, Landos robot was :eyeroll:

The only modern SW movie worth anything is Rogue One, you can skip the rest.

I am not sensing a lot of repeat viewings here, and the box office prediction has been cut to $105 to $115 millions. Looking like a maybe $600 to $65] million movie, which is a massive drop off for Star Wars.  Plus if the $250 million esth imated budget is correct, this movie may strugegle to make money.

Makes me wonder what the cause may be for this.  Is it just the movie is not that good?  Very crowded summer movie slate (lots of heavy hitters this year)? Star Wats fatigue? Or is the fan backlash from TLJ real?

1 hour ago, Azkaban said:

looks like my friends and I aren't the only ones boycotting this movie, :facepalm:

Maybe collector/fans just need a break btwn so many 'quality' sci-fi or fantasy movies (Black Panther, Avengers 4, Deadpool 2) and streaming tv series: Star Trek: Discovery, Lost in Space, Westworld season 2, Krypton with Brainiac. <3

58 minutes ago, drotto said:

I am not sensing a lot of repeat viewings here, and the box office prediction has been cut to $105 to $115 millions. Looking like a maybe $600 to $65] million movie, which is a massive drop off for Star Wars.  Plus if the $250 million esth imated budget is correct, this movie may strugegle to make money.

Makes me wonder what the cause may be for this.  Is it just the movie is not that good?  Very crowded summer movie slate (lots of heavy hitters this year)? Star Wats fatigue? Or is the fan backlash from TLJ real?

e)all of the above

1 hour ago, drotto said:

the fan backlash from TLJ is real

48 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

thanks for the lack luster early reviews all! You help me to confirm that Disney has no clue how to make Star Wars films and I am right to boycott this franchise until further notice.

Will not be seeing this film.

It's not a bad movie, I give it a 3/5. There was nothing wrong with it, just there was nothing special about it either.  It just lacks something, which I am kinda having trouble putting my finger on, the basic elements were there, but it just never grabs you.  For Han's first major caper, it just felt meh.

Other than one massive SJW character, and resulting sequence, it was not as in your face as TLJ. It also does not ruin Han as a character.  If anything it feels like a series of fan service mini stories strung together by a very predictable heist movie plot.

1 hour ago, drotto said:

Some reasons for the cause.

Harrison Ford will always be Han Solo for the majority crowd. Not many people can see someone else playing the role,similar to many that Christopher Reeve will always be Superman.

Fatigue,as many people just saw Avengers Infinity War and Deadpool  2.

It is a lot to ask people and their families to make a third trip to the movie theaters in such a quick timespan.

Myself, I will be catching this when it is either on Amazon movies on demand or Netflix.

It's really underperforming at the box office. This movie will be lucky to make 250 million domestic, and its performance is abysmal worldwide. I hope this serves as a wake up call to Kathleen Kennedy and the Star Wars story group. There's one guy who is probably amused by all of this.

e58.jpg

I knew that Disney would run the franchise into the ground when they announced all of these spinoff movies, I just didn't think it would happen so fast. The mixed reception to TLJ has to be playing a part in this.

I saw this with my son Thursday, the theater had a total of ten people in it, which was surprising but anyways; I did enjoy it, it was dark, and not psychologically, actually dark, tough to see a lot of the movie. It was also kinda slow moving. Like someone said in an earlier post, it wasn't that it was bad, it just wasn't that good either and I'm not sure exactly why. I don't believe it's SW fatigue or anything like that, I think it's just not a great movie, and I think that's the problem. I remember when Rouge One came out to lackluster reviews and some bad initial difficulties early on, but the cream rose to the top and people came around and saw it. If this movie was anywhere near as good as Rouge One people would line up to see it, no doubt in my mind.

BTW, I still think "The Last Jedi" was a total piece of bantha poodo and I'm amused by those who continue to defend it. It sucked.

6 minutes ago, drotto said:

Ouch 35 million estimate from Friday.  Given the normal fall off it may not clear 100 mil. And 47 million world wide for Friday, just wow.

And of that 35 million, 15 mil came from Thursday night previews. So it's true Friday is 20 Million. :fear:

I'm going to say it...Donald Glover is not a good actor.  I know he's the new "it" minority guy in Hollywood but I can only see a nerdy black dude every time he shows up on screen.

This movie isn't a bad movie.  It's just not a Star Wars movie.  If they took away the Star Wars related names and re-titled it "Space Cowboys" it would have met expectations.  But because it is a Star Wars movie it falls short.

Good things will come from this.  Disney will realize the path they are on needs to be changed.

Rating: 6/10 (I liked Chewy(thumbsu)

9 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I'm going to say it...Donald Glover is not a good actor.  I know he's the new "it" minority guy in Hollywood but I can only see a nerdy black dude every time he shows up on screen.

This movie isn't a bad movie.  It's just not a Star Wars movie.  If they took away the Star Wars related names and re-titled it "Space Cowboys" it would have met expectations.  But because it is a Star Wars movie it falls short.

Good things will come from this.  Disney will realize the path they are on needs to be changed.

Rating: 6/10 (I liked Chewy(thumbsu)

I actually thought Chewy and "Han" had good chemistry.   But this character is Han Lite.  I know Harrison Ford is almost impossibly to follow, but I think it could have been done, but they missed the mark here. If this was the first time I had met the character, I would have had zero issues with what I was given.

7 hours ago, kagenish said:

ok, I saw the movie yesterday after work with my friend and in the theater, there were about two other people watching it. I gotta say this but the movie was OK nothing great just OK I do agree it does feel like an amazing movie was hiding but never fully realized. it's my lowest of the new star wars films and 3 lowest in my overall star wars films.

1.empire 

2.return of the Jedi

3. the last Jedi 

4. New hope 

5. Rogue one 

6 force awakens 

7. revenge of the Sith 

8. Han solo 

9 attack of the clones 

10. phantom menace 

its tough to take your opinion because of how you raked TLJ. lol seriously