• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

What telepathy powers from Empire? Luke communicated with her. “Leia hear me”.  He reached out to her, not the other way around.  Just because someone’s influenced via the Force doesn’t make them a “Force user”. For example “These aren’t the droids we’re looking for. Move along.”  

I was struggling to remember the reference he was making.

I haven't seen Empire in a few years, so I couldn't readily defend it.

I was gonna watch the whole thing tonight just to prove him wrong!

Just now, TwoPiece said:

I was struggling to remember the reference he was making.

I haven't seen Empire in a few years, so I couldn't readily defend it.

I was gonna watch the whole thing tonight just to prove him wrong!

Near the end when Luke is hanging underneath Cloud City. He reaches out to Leia to have them return to pick him up in the Falcon. 

Just now, bentbryan said:

Near the end when Luke is hanging underneath Cloud City. He reaches out to Leia to have them return to pick him up in the Falcon. 

Yeah, I remember that. I was trying to think of a scene in which she reached out. Drew a blank.

That's because it doesn't exist!

You got hosed, Gatsby.

It’s pretty easy to see in the movie how Captain Marvel gets the Power Cosmic, why she’ll suddenly be able to go against Thanos (that and 20 years of flying around the Universe with this power righting wrongs) and doesn’t completely understand the full extent of those powers. 

Why no one here has picked up on it is surprising, but they kind of tiptoed around it during the movie - though they didn’t know as much as the characters know now...

but it’s all right there...

Spoiler

She doesn't get the Power Cosmic, though. Her power is derived from the Tesseract, just as Scarlett Witch's derived from the Scepter.

Infinity Stones are not the Power Cosmic. Kree Blood + Infinity Stone ≠ Power Cosmic.

Edited by TwoPiece
Spoilers.

9 minutes ago, I like pie said:

That would be a huge let down if she has the power cosmic. I didn't get that feeling at all.

Galactus has the Power Cosmic, and Silver Surfer has a fraction of it.  At best she's also got a fraction.  I resisted that idea at first, but I'm not sure the Tesseract and the Space infinity stone it contains isn't somehow related to the Power Cosmic.  I'm interested in how her powers compare to Silver Surfer.  I'm also curious as to how they compare to Phoenix; she seems like a cross between Phoenix and the Surfer.

Edited by fantastic_four

15 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:
Spoiler

Galactus has the Power Cosmic, and Silver Surfer has a fraction of it.  At best she's also got a fraction.  I resisted that idea at first, but I'm not sure the Tesseract and the Space infinity stone it contains isn't somehow related to the Power Cosmic.  I'm interested in how her powers compare to Silver Surfer.  I'm also curious as to how they compare to Phoenix; she seems like a cross between Phoenix and the Surfer.

:gossip: Spoiler!

Edited by TwoPiece

12 minutes ago, I like pie said:

It would be a weak introduction of the cosmic power imo. I respect your theory but don't think that's what was intended. How about cosmic power? :D

I like it better than how Mar-vell was just given the power by Eon. 

21 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

There is literally nothing to support conjecture that Captain Marvel has the Power Cosmic in the MCU. Nada. Ziltch.

Let's move onto something that actually has legs.

Spoiler

The engine was powered by the Tesseract. The Tesseract contains the Space Stone. Danvers absorbs the power into her body. It’s 100% what has happened. 

Just now, Chuck Gower said:
  Hide contents

The engine was powered by the Tesseract. The Tesseract contains the Space Stone. Danvers absorbs the power into her body. It’s 100% what has happened. 

Spoiler

The Tesseract does not contain the Power Cosmic. It contains an Infinity Stone. The Infinity Stones do not have the Power Cosmic. The Cosmic Cube from the comics, and the Cosmic Cube/Tesseract from the MCU, are not one and the same. The Power Cosmic has yet to surface in the MCU, and I guarantee that it won't until the Fantastic Four come around.

In the comics, the Cosmic Cube does not contain the Space Stone. In the comics, the Space Stone was not blue (until after the MCU made it blue). Captain Marvel does not have the Power Cosmic.

Spoiler

Speaking about Mar-Vell, I was really happy with what they did with her. I didn't expect Mar-Vell to be in the movie at all. Another one of the good writing aspects to this movie.

On the same token, I wish that Danvers would've got her new suit from Mar-Vell's ship or something, rather than the stupid color-changing device mod. Opportunity missed.

Geez already - some people just cannot give up their virtue-signalling! It's like it's become their religion now!  So pathetic.

Back to the movies - with all the talk of CM coming to the rescue and helping the remaining Avengers take down Thanos - this always brings me back to IW where Dr. Strange had the time-stone and yet he could have trapped Thanos in a never-ending time-loop like how he defeated Dormammu in DS movie.  Being able to control time, roll it back continually or even go back to before your enemy gains their force and defeat them then - controlling time - now THAT is the most powerful ability in the universe to me!

Edited by jcjames

1 minute ago, jcjames said:

Back to the movies - with all the talk of CM coming to the rescue and helping the remaining Avengers take down Thanos - this always brings me back to IW where Dr. Strange had the time-stone and yet he could have trapped Thanos in a never-ending time-loop like how he defeated Dormammu in DS movie.  Being able to control time, roll it back continually or even go back to before your enemy gains their force and defeat them then - controlling time - now THAT is the most powerful ability in the universe to me!

Wong and Mordo did speak about "consequences" in Doctor Strange, though.

With Thanos having 4 stones already, including Power and Reality, I don't think he could have achieved the same kind of feat. I guess he definitely couldn't, if he tried it in any of the 14 million circumstances he witnessed.

"Time" also works differently in the Dark Dimension, where they said it's "beyond time".

I do think that the Time Stone is the most powerful of all 6, if you rank them individually.

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

Wong and Mordo did speak about "consequences" in Doctor Strange, though.

With Thanos having 4 stones already, including Power and Reality, I don't think he could have achieved the same kind of feat. I guess he definitely couldn't, if he tried it in any of the 14 million circumstances he witnessed.

"Time" also works differently in the Dark Dimension, where they said it's "beyond time".

I do think that the Time Stone is the most powerful of all 6, if you rank them individually.

Yes that is true. Still wondering the full consequences of those "consequences" will be.

He did use time to "hold" Thanos didn't he? Or am I misremembering it? Thanks again Peter Quill!!!!! doh!

Maybe it's a personal thing for me, but I found DS the most interesting of ALL of the MCU movies because it wasn't about "Hulk-boom" power or "pew-pew photon blast" power or even "super-serum super-strong" power, it was much more sci-fi-ish intellectual/spiritual level power which I really dig.