• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

So...you didn't like it?

I liked it more than I thought I would as well.  Still think Larson is wrong for the role, but Sam Jackson and the cat had enough charisma to make up for her lack thereof.  And like with Black Panther I found the villain more interesting and better cast than the hero. Still, I put this in the upper third of Marvel movies in terms of my enjoyment factor. 

-J.

3 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I liked it more than I thought I would as well.  Still think Larson is wrong for the role, but Sam Jackson and the cat had enough charisma to make up for her lack thereof.  And like with Black Panther I found the villain more interesting and better cast than the hero. Still, I put this in the upper third of Marvel movies in terms of my enjoyment factor. 

-J.

So the cat has charisma? Really? The cat?

25 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Curious why folks here seem to be okay with

Reveal hidden contents

the Skrulls in Captain Marvel

but not okay with the Mandarin in IM3.

My biggest problem with IM3 was that

Reveal hidden contents

Maya Hansen wasn't the Mandarin

The former twist that you mention still allows for certain things to be played out later in the MCU. Good-and-evil sides.

The latter was a primary villain being turned into a freaking joke. It was not a good twist.

Spoiler

They aren't equal. One kinda tugs at your emotions. You can understand what they're going through.

The other is just a joke, and nothing more than confusing and angering.

Edited by TwoPiece
I hate having to edit all of these for spoilers.

28 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

And I loved it for Shane's Black writing.

Not just the dialogue, but also the twists. 

Curious why folks here seem to be okay with

Hide contents

the Skrulls in Captain Marvel

but not okay with the Mandarin in IM3.

My biggest problem with IM3 was that

Hide contents

Maya Hansen wasn't the Mandarin

That's what Black has said he had in his original --script -- a double-fake-out, and Disney shot him down, supposedly because of fears re. related toy sales.

Shane Black writes great dialogue and darn good scripts. Could’ve done without the kid in it, but overall I enjoyed it. 

5 minutes ago, Bird said:

The cat doesn’t have charisma it was just trained well and photographed well the cat doesn’t take direction

I can't remember whether or not you've seen the film, so assuming you haven't, no need to push it because you're heading towards spoiler territory.  Below are the panels from a 2014 issue of the Guardians of the Galaxy comic that hint at the cat's appeal.

Spoiler

f962964446b7448be0abbe7c0d5ba3be7a680beb

Just now, chezmtghut said:

It's usually people without pets that think animals don't have personality.

Oh I have pets if you’re talking about me I’ve had dogs and cats But most of its projection by the owner

Just now, Bird said:

Oh I have pets if you’re talking about me I’ve had dogs and cats But most of its projection by the owner

Is it? We all have our own take on reality & we're just stating our own opinions. I think animals are smarter than most people give them credit for.

3 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

Is it? We all have our own take on reality & we're just stating our own opinions. I think animals are smarter than most people give them credit for.

Personality is one thing, charisma is quite another. the cat is charming perhaps, but charisma? :roflmao:

We don't have our own take on reality, we have subjective experience but reality is fairly consistent.

Edited by Bird

2 minutes ago, Bird said:

Personality is one thing, charisma is quite another. the cat is charming perhaps, but charisma? :roflmao:

We don't have our own take on reality, we have subjective experience but reality is fairly consistent.

Our perception of reality is changing constantly based on newly discovered evidence.

Look up charisma:

Dictionary:
cha·ris·ma
/kəˈrizmə/
noun
noun: charisma; plural noun: charismata
  1. 1.
    compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others.
    "she enchanted guests with her charisma"
    synonyms: charm, presence, aura, personality, force of personality, strength of character, individuality;
    magnetism, animal magnetism, drawing power, attractiveness, appeal, allure, pull;
    magic, spell, mystique, glamour
    "some managers acquire authority through their personal charisma"

12 minutes ago, Bird said:

You're just jealous that Goose has more charisma than you.

21 minutes ago, The Brain said:

Just got back from seeing this in 3D.

It was a good popcorn movie, fun, silly, and at times serious.

Overall 7 out of 10. 

A 10 point scale? You cad. Then I am going with a 13 point scale.

7.8/13.0

:sumo:

Wait until I tell you about my idea for a 3-Minute Abs workout. Barrier-breaking!

11 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

A 10 point scale? You cad. Then I am going with a 13 point scale.

7.8/13.0

:sumo:

Wait until I tell you about my idea for a 3-Minute Abs workout. Barrier-breaking!

You should go into comedy.