• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

If Ryan Reynolds couldn't make Hal Jordan cool with movie audiences than no one can.

If DC is smart they go with John Stewart GL or Tales of GL Corps movie the next time.

:wishluck:

They're doing Green Lantern Corps with both Hal Jordan and John Stewart.

Box Office Mojo ticket averages: Est.$9.03

In checking Captain Marvel listings on Fandango in my area.

Daytime Standard: $9.15

Nighttime Standard: $12.15

Real3-D: $16.15

IMAX: $17.65

IMAX 2D: $18.95

Edited by Bosco685
corrected Real3-D

10 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

If Ryan Reynolds couldn't make Hal Jordan cool with movie audiences than no one can.

If DC is smart they go with John Stewart GL or Tales of GL Corps movie the next time.

:wishluck:

It's wasn't a Ryan Reynolds problem. Come on. You realize that. If you can't provide an interesting villain that also helps bring the intensity, everything falls flat.

Hector Hammond and Parallax were the problems. At least Sinestro was fantastic. That should have been the focus for an initial film.

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

It's wasn't a Ryan Reynolds problem. Come on. You realize that. If you can't provide an interesting villain that also helps bring the intensity, everything falls flat.

Hector Hammond and Parallax were the problems. At least Sinestro was fantastic. That should have been the focus for an initial film.

Sinestro was awesome. The best part of that movie. If only they went with Sinestro as the major villian over Hammond and Parallax.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Box Office Mojo ticket averages: Est.$9.03

In checking Captain Marvel listings on Fandango in my area.

Daytime Standard: $9.15

Nighttime Standard: $12.15

Real3-D: $16.15

IMAX: $17.65

IMAX 2D: $18.95

Sure. 

But my $9.00 estimate was for 2011, and in 2D, with few, if any, IMAX screenings relative to today's market.

And in 2011 there were also a lot more $6.00 matinees than say, today, that pulled down the average.

1 hour ago, bane said:

I was definitely the latter. I wanted to walk out. But I was at a cinema you had to drive to and the person I was with had the car.... stay through the rest of the movie or walk 2 hours home.... now I wished I had walked home.

I would have left but I didn't want to wake my son up.

Just now, Gatsby77 said:

Sure. 

But my $9.00 estimate was for 2011, and in 2D, with few, if any, IMAX screenings relative to today's market.

And in 2011 there were also a lot more $6.00 matinees than say, today, that pulled down the average.

That BOM average is a tainted statistical figure in the wrong hands. What was the economic environment at that time? How distributed was the market for the time compared to 2019? How wide-spread could speciality theaters be for the time?

None of that factors into their very simple average price for the time. But it assumes to take that into consideration. Step away from the statistical hand grenade.

3 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Sinestro was awesome. The best part of that movie. If only they went with Sinestro as the major villian over Hammond and Parrallax.

Exactly! Whomever allowed that crew to take in so many influences in an intro movie should be ashamed. You had the winning cast to make this work.

Now taking it back to Captain Marvel, the film did a good job in bringing together some characters I like that keeps the human element alive while introducing a super-powered being (Nick Fury, Phil Coulson). I was okay with them.

And I loved seeing the Skrulls in the movie. Though I don't want to go too far with story details. But the story did not come together for me as strong as it did for others. Sorry.

I thought Thor 1 was great but I also think Captain Marvel is great! Right now,  I like them both about the same IMHYWO.  I "used" to have JIM/Thor from #85up.. :cry:
But... "ALL" of us agree Ben Affleck's Daredevil is the greatest movie of all time...not just Super Heroes movies...I mean the greatest of all movies...A travesty it didn't win any Academy Awards.

16 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Money has nothing to do with it - it’s personal preference. To say NO WAY is Captain Marvel a better movie than Thor 1 is just your personal preference, the same as he was stating his. 

It is okay for someone to say they enjoyed one movie over another. But if you are going to post that, don't be surprised if someone says otherwise. That's okay too.

15 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

It is okay for someone to say they enjoyed one movie over another.

Yes. 

15 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

But if you are going to post that, don't be surprised if someone says otherwise. That's okay too.

That it’s NOT ok to enjoy one movie over the other?

I haven't seen Captain Marvel yet, but am excited to see how the Skrulls/Kree are handled on film.

As for Thor 1, did anyone notice the similarities between it and the Masters of the Universe movie? I thought that was kinda fun.

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

This.

This right here is proof that comic fans are almost irrelevant to the success (or failure) of most of these superhero films, and that they aren't (and shouldn't necessarily) be made with us in mind.

I thought the Watchmen film was fantastic -- but, because it was made for comic book fans, it was basically impenetrable to general audiences, so it bombed.

But "10% of the audience" didn't read Thor comics in the '70s or 80s, it was closer to 1%.

My quick and dirty math:

Thor made $181 million domestically in 2011. 

Let's assume they spent $9.00 per ticket (far above BoxOffice Mojo's average of $7.93 per).

At $9.00 per ticket, roughly 20 million people went to see Thor in the theater.

Then let's assume Thor averaged ~400,000 per issue in the '70s and '80s (based on April 1986 print run numbers of ~389,000 average - and this was smack in the sweet spot of Simonson's run).

That means, at best, Thor's monthly print run (even if every copy was read) was just 2% of the 2011's films audience.

Put another way, that fifty times as many people saw the film as read the comics back in the '80s.

And that was for an early Phase One film.

While I agree that comic book fans are irrelevant to the success or failure of superhero movies I will never agree that if they make a movie more faithful to the source it cannot be successful.

Any by faithful I don't mean to the exact letter, I mean paying little more than lip service to the characters.

Watchmen is a bad example IMHO.

I would like to see Marvel try it...they have come close a couple of times though.

7 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

While I agree that comic book fans are irrelevant to the success or failure of superhero movies I will never agree that if they make a movie more faithful to the source it cannot be successful.

Any by faithful I don't mean to the exact letter, I mean paying little more than lip service to the characters.

Watchmen is a bad example IMHO.

I would like to see Marvel try it...they have come close a couple of times though.

Civil War was their opportunity, and they completely missed it.

As the universe continues to grow - faithful events grow less and less likely - unless they play the long-game for Galactus.

Maybe Civil War was a premature adaptation, considering the overall lack of established characters. I think they tried to make something similar just too soon.