• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

I thought Affleck made a great Bruce Wayne/Batman in BvS, however when JL came out I felt as if he was phoning it in.  Now was that on him or the fact that there were two directors and lots of reshoots and tonal changes?

Completely agree with this.

Which is why JL is a throwaway movie for me, one I won't be watching again.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

I thought Affleck was a mediocre Batman.

Maybe he looked the part, but I thought there was nothing - except a bit more body mass than usual - that he brought to the role.

What made the difference in the overall portrayal was the writing.

Insert Christian Bale w/ the exact same --script, I think the net effect would have been the same.

I thought in Batman v Superman he did a great job. It was that Justice League situation which tainted his performance.

A very fitting Elseworld story, but an equally fitting Bruce Wayne. His drive and commitment to overcoming Superman because of his concerns about the threat to Earth.

Just now, sd2416 said:

Which interviews?  Post em

Can't access YouTube on my work PC.

One of the more-cringe ones is the Jimmy Kimmel one from about a week ago.

One of my YT friends said that she saw it and couldn't get past the first minute because of how awful she is. I gotta agree.

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

Oh, man.

I don't know why, but I just watched a few of her interviews, and Brie Larson is such an unlikable person... Yikes.

Agreed.  Chip on her shoulder and her exhausting feminism.... I mean, I got it.

It's not like other great female lead movies like Wonder Women didn't come out a few years ago...

2 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Agreed.  Chip on her shoulder and her exhausting feminism.... I mean, I got it.

It's not like other great female lead movies like Wonder Women didn't come out a few years ago...

Gal Gadot is such a likable woman, too.

It's just so weird, because I can't even think of another MCU actor who isn't likable. How did this happen? I normally love it when I see their character actors on late night shows, and in interviews, etc.

Sebastian Stan is kinda bland, but he's not unlikable. All of the Phase 1 guys and gals are awesome. Paltrow is "meh", but again, not unlikable. All of Phase 2 actors - great.

Benedict, Wong, the entire Guardians cast, Holland is a treasure, the entire Black Panther cast, they're all great.

And then there's Brie. How did they get this so wrong? I am confused.

mayb

9 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Gal Gadot is such a likable woman, too.

It's just so weird, because I can't even think of another MCU actor who isn't likable. How did this happen? I normally love it when I see their character actors on late night shows, and in interviews, etc.

Sebastian Stan is kinda bland, but he's not unlikable. All of the Phase 1 guys and gals are awesome. Paltrow is "meh", but again, not unlikable. All of Phase 2 actors - great.

Benedict, Wong, the entire Guardians cast, Holland is a treasure, the entire Black Panther cast, they're all great.

And then there's Brie. How did they get this so wrong? I am confused.

maybe Tessa Thompson?  Not great... not awful..  I will admit as much as I disliked her in Thor and West World; she was pretty good some of her other movies...

Just now, Wolverinex said:

maybe Tessa Thompson?  Not great... not awful..  I will admit as much as I disliked her in Thor and West World; she was pretty good some of her other movies...

I think I saw her on Conan once, and she seemed pretty nice. She's not really a "big picture" casting, I don't think, although she's allegedly in Endgame.

Larson, on the other hand, is/was expected to overtake Downey Jr. as the lead for this franchise. Marvel Studios may need to look at a different approach after he "alienating" comments and her stiff personality. Personally, I'm surprised that they didn't initially plan for Holland to take over. He's their character actor for their most-recognized property! Although, Sony does have their hands in the pot...

I'm not a big fan of Kimmel's, and I felt really bad for the guy. He handled the situation well.

7 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I think I saw her on Conan once, and she seemed pretty nice. She's not really a "big picture" casting, I don't think, although she's allegedly in Endgame.

Larson, on the other hand, is/was expected to overtake Downey Jr. as the lead for this franchise. Marvel Studios may need to look at a different approach after he "alienating" comments and her stiff personality. Personally, I'm surprised that they didn't initially plan for Holland to take over. He's their character actor for their most-recognized property! Although, Sony does have their hands in the pot...

I'm not a big fan of Kimmel's, and I felt really bad for the guy. He handled the situation well.

Yeah Holland would be much better to helm the next stage.  Freakin Spiderman.  Too bad they couldn't bring Gadot over for a Marvel VS DC trilogy

11 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

To be honest, Amber Heard isn't that likable IRL either but she was great in Aquaman !  The 2nd phase of DC movies is doing pretty well...

4 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

To be honest, Amber Heard isn't that likable IRL either but she was great in Aquaman !  The 2nd phase of DC movies is doing pretty well...

That's true.

Amber Heard is ridiculously hot, though. lol

Brie Larson seems closer to Anne Hathaway than Amber Heard - to me.

I'm an insufferable a-hole, so when I complain about someone being unlikable, that really takes some awful personality. lol

11 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

I have no issues with Amber Heard, other than those starlet outfits she wore to Aquaman premieres.

amberheard01.PNG.bf3b388423afab7ef580051338ec7db4.PNG

It's all good, as these actors and actresses have to feed their inner spirit or else they lose their way in these roles. If this makes them better connected with their self-esteem - and not hurting anyone - go for it.

That's interesting.

“We had the first full costume fitting with Brie Larson on the set of Avengers: Endgame, and just stepping into the little tent on set where we hide – because we don’t want many people to see – it was astounding. Seeing that character that we’ve been working on for years, that we’ve been dreaming about even longer than that, seeing her standing in front of us for the first time, in real life - it’s incredible. It’s an amazing start for the adventure that lies ahead,” he added.

In the new book, Feige also discusses what makes Captain Marvel such a special character.

"The great thing about Captain Marvel is she is a human. She’s a real person, Carol Danvers, who gets these incredible powers and who has these amazing adventures in outer space," he confirmed. "But as with all of the best Marvel characters, she needs to be very human. So this is not just about somebody who is incredibly powerful and can fly around and shoot photon blasts out of her hands; it’s somebody who’s very human, who’s very vulnerable, and who has multiple dimensions."

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

mayb

I thought Tessa Thompson showed a lot more range (and personality) in Ragnarok than in Creed 2.